David Dobrik's Vlogs

cat_loves_mika

So, this has always been on the back of my mind. I don't particularly like the fact that Love You When I'm Drunk is at the beginning of every single vlog of the Youtuber David Dobrik. If you aren't aware, here is one of his vlogs to show you. You don't have to watch very much, the intro will play and you will know what I'm talking about. 

He has had that intro for all of his vlogs, and he does not have to and never does (at least I haven't seen it) credit Mika for the song because of how short the clip is and that's how Youtube copyright works. I think that for how much he has used this clip (4 years of vlogs, uploading multiple times a week) in his videos, not mentioning Mika or having to pay royalties because of how copyright works on Youtube is lame. It's disappointing to a long time fan like me who got really excited when I first heard it, but I think there are a lot of people who don't think twice about the song because it is not listed in the description and it is difficult for them to find; which is not a good thing for Mika when a popular Youtuber like David Dobrik is constantly using his song.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm interested. 

Edited by cat_loves_mika
  • Like 1

I've moved this thread, as it's not really "news".

Anyway I think you're right that the guy should give Mika credits for the song. I think it's ok that if you just use a short snippet, you don't have to pay royalties, because really, copyright law is strict enough imo. But giving credits would indeed be nice.

What we can do is comment under his videos that the song is by Mika, maybe even link to Mika's new single. That might be more efficient than writing to the guy directly - he doesn't seem the type who cares much about rules etc, judging from the short snippet of his video I saw. 🙄

• Like 1