Small review of LICM

Sity

> British pop sensation Mika "has powers to enchant and annoy, often in the same breath," observes Edna.

Mika, Life in Cartoon Motion:

* * 1/2

Not your father's Mercury

The singer/songwriter, who landed in London by way of Beirut and Paris,

has powers to enchant and annoy, often in the same breath.

His debut's "cartoon motion" could refer to a falsetto that can veer into territory usually reserved for choirs of animated woodland creatures.

Histrionic, theatrical and campy, Mika is Freddie Mercury reborn and Scissor Sisters without the wink.

Whether parody or homage, He’s also a revivalist without much imagination,

though he’s certainly crafted an album of upbeat,

frothy and impossibly catchy, if entirely synthetic, pop tunes.

Billy Brown and Stuck in the Middle display an uncanny ability to stitch serious themes to peppy sonics,

suggesting there’s more to Mika that glass-shattering flamboyance.

— Gundersen

>>Download: Grace Kelly, Billy Brown

>>Consider: Lollipop and Big Girl,

a transparent retooling of Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls

>>Skip: the boring Erase

Erase... I find it very emotional. I wouldn't skip it! I'd listen it again! :cool:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love Erase!!!! thats so unfair!!! Iv read in loads of interviews they say "frothy" they say it in this one too, i don't get it. why frothy? Its what i get on my coffee at starbucks and i just dont see the connection!

If I have to choose a track to skip it would be Erase. It's so different from other songs, not so original Mika-style :)

Hm... If I was forced with a knive on my throat to skip one song in his album...

Aakh, It would be... maybe... Ring Ring :tears:

Hm... If I was forced with a knive on my throat to skip one song in his album...

Aakh, It would be... maybe... Ring Ring :tears:

i lovvveeeeeeeeeee Ring Ring its one of my fave's!!!! hopefully no-one will ever hold a knive to yr throat over this thou:naughty: :)xxx

i love erase its different and beautiful, its cool mika likes to experiment with different music he was trained as an opera singer remember!...lol....if i really had to skip a tune on his album (dont like to) it would prob be over my shoulder, dont know why but it creeps me out a little.....:blink: x