Mika gigs 2006: Pics /Videos/Reports/Press

mari62

Yes :blink:

It seems quite strange that none of them belong to the MFC now

There is the possibility they actually didn’t like what they heard…hard to believe though!

One more contribution from me --

Another review of Dingwall's gig in November 2006 --

I don't see it anywhere, but if it's a repeat, let me know :)

http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/061127/33/20wmn.html

3603204401.jpg

Isn’t lovely to read such an enthusiastic revue!:wub2:

But it also makes wonder what his coming album will contain????

"My aim is that no one else can sing the records that I make. You can't do my songs at karaoke," he explains. "

Well that’s what you thought Mika, you’re so welcome to the next Christmas party or the next Pub party where we sing your songs without a problem…

Meet the MFC!:naughty:

There is the possibility they actually didn’t like what they heard…hard to believe though!

:shocked: What? No way :no:

Ok, I suppose there is a remote possibility that they didn't... :blink::thumbdown:

Thanks Dani56 for the scans :thumb_yello:

Dani!! You did a lot of work to find out all the scans and the pics!! T4P!!

I must confess I had most mag scans myself, but didn't notice the date... :naughty:.. so great job! :thumb_yello:

(thats the reason why its good to be a team: 4 eyes see better than 2 :wink2: )

Edited by mari62

from the same article.....maybe :blink:

observer.jpg

so it seems.... even the background looks the same

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

here you can see the pic from the article bigger (click to enlarge)

th_mmmm1vl7.jpg

an huge (click and click again)

th_2006m12.jpg

Huge pic is from Avoca's gallery http://stuckonmika.com/gallery/index.php?cat=5 thanks!

Edited by mari62
adding link

l03c8ba34e3263339a550d7.jpg

Thats an interesting article! There's a piece of news we didn't know (or at least I didn't :naughty:)

"Mika performed (September, 14th in London) four numbers at the post-conference party in Shepherd's Bush, in front of an audience of Universal executives and partners from the worlds of retail, digital and media".

Here you can read it more easily:

Mika hits right note for Island.

Publication Date: 16-SEP-06

Mika, Island Records' bright new hope for 2007, brought the curtain - and the house - down on Universal's 2006 conference in London last Thursday.

Mika, the Beirut-born, New York-raised, London-based singer, songwriter and producer, performed four numbers at the post-conference party in Shepherd's Bush, in front of an audience of Universal executives and partners from the worlds of retail, digital and media.

Signed to Island Records via Tommy Mottola's Casablanca imprint, Mika is a high priority for Universal going into next year. His debut release arrives on October 2, a low-key seven-inch and download-only single, coupling Relax (Take It Easy) and Billy Brown, followed by his first live tour in November.

But this activity will be followed on January 29 by the artist's first full single release, Grace Kelly, followed by a debut album on February 12.

The Universal event came the day after EMI unveiled its big autumn priorities in front of a similar audience at the Mermaid Theatre in London.

While Universal hosted live performances from acts including Razorlight, The Killers, Bryn Terfel, Take That and James Morrison, EMI presented performances from the likes of The Magic Numbers, Badly Drawn Boy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Lily Allen and Jamelia.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-17671860_ITM

Edited by mari62

from the same article.....maybe :blink:

observer.jpg

so it seems.... even the background looks the same

Yeah it definitely is :thumb_yello: he's got that same weird look :naughty: I don't know but I always thought he dosen't look like himself in those pics :blink::naughty:

From The Times

August 26, 2006

Dressed for success

He has a great voice, but will Mika be a pop star? You can bet your shirt on it

Mike Pattenden

Is something wrong? You seem distracted.” It’s true. I can’t tear my eyes away from the hideous designer shirt that the pop debutant Mika is sporting.

“It’s the shirt, isn’t it?” he nods, causing Amadeus locks of hair to quiver. “It’s Italian. I like that it says ‘groovy’ on it.”

It says gravy, actually.

“Does it?” he says, twisting his head to examine it. “I could have sworn it was ‘groovy’.”

Don’t be fooled by this gauche, fish-out-of-water act; the 23-year-old Mika is a deeply ambitious and resourceful character. His debut single, Relax (Take It Easy), is a slice of contagious house-lite stamped with the soon-to-be unmistakable imprint of his trademark falsetto. It seems primed to pep up Europe’s dancefloors as summer fades while sitting perfectly alongside the smart, primary-coloured pop of the Scissor Sisters. Add some Robbie Williams and a soupçon of Freddie Mercury and you have Mika’s market squared quite neatly.

Born to a Lebanese mother and an American father, whom he describes rather vaguely as being “in finance”, Mika was forced to flee Beirut in 1984 when he was just 12 months old after the outbreak of fighting. After a brief spell in Paris, the family moved to London.

For the young Mika these upheavals proved disruptive to his development. Resettled in London, he forgot how to read and write and withdrew into himself. Music proved to be a healer and set him on the path signposted pop.

“I was stuck at home all day in my shell, so my mother hired a music teacher. She was a really strict Russian lady, but she brought me out of myself.”

Once he had begun to open his mouth again, he revealed the voice of “a young female soprano”, which won him a role in the chorus of the Royal Opera. At the same time his mother, who sounds like an endlessly resourceful woman, signed him up to an ad agency.

Mika’s youthful tones were soon gilding advertising campaigns and assorted TV shows, and by the age of 12 he had decided that his future lay in being a pop star.

“It seemed inevitable to me. I was writing lots of songs. Bad ones, admittedly. Then the writing became obsessive. I didn’t fit in at school, so songwriting was my escape.”

Confused as ever, he signed up to the London School of Economics, only to realise his error on the first day. Two weeks later he enrolled at the Royal College of Music, passing an audition on the strength of his singing.

Putting this head-scratching mistake to one side, he stretches credulity further by revealing that he spent the student holidays giving demos of his own material in Miami. Surely daddy was bankrolling his music biz ambition by this time?

“No. Really,” he demurs. “As soon as you say the word ‘finance’ people assume that means you’ve been well off all your life, but it has not always been easy, believe me. I just met someone who liked what I was trying to do.”

The songwriter who took Mika under her wing was Jodi Marr, best described as the Latin Linda Perry. Together the two worked up a polished demo tape that made executives at Universal sit up.

The song that doubtless convinced them was his soon-to-be signature tune, Grace Kelly, a paean to being true to oneself. With another soaring falsetto hook it sounds like a hit in waiting, but after all the effort he has invested in becoming a star has he ever contemplated the possibility of failure?

“Never,” he says, obviously shocked at the suggestion.

“If I thought about stuff like that I might as well have stayed at the LSE. Some people are going to hate what I do, but I’d rather be Marmite than something that people think is just ‘nice’. Like I’d rather you hate my shirt than think it’s nice. If that’s the case I might as well shop at M&S.”

Relax (Take it Easy) is released on Sept 18; Mika plays Borderline, London W1 (http://www.meanfiddler.com 020-7534 6970) on Aug 30, and the Bestival, Isle of Wight (http://www.bestival.net), Sept 9

PS: can't find it online anymore

EDIT: found ;)http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article616109.ece

great article!

love how he says that he never thought about failure and such negative stuff:D

same here :) He's always been a strong and tough boy... he never gives up! And this is one secret to achieve success in life (another one is his amazing mam) :wub2:

In red my fave bits