The Vampire Weekend Thread.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Where at? Love your signature too!:wub2::wub2:

In Munich, Germany on the 20th of November! :biggrin2: Very exited!

Yes, I love my signature too! :wub2::roftl: Found heaps of pics of Ezra on tumblr.! There are some really crazy fans out there... :teehee:

My cousin was at the same concert as me, and we didn't even know.

cousin....ironic...:teehee:

Hey, you ARE a VW fan, Avvie and all?

So how was the gig you were at?

I read they don't really improvise a lot, so you pretty much hear the same songs as on the album. But that's enough for me anyway! :thumb_yello:

Hey, you ARE a VW fan, Avvie and all?

So how was the gig you were at?

I read they don't really improvise a lot, so you pretty much hear the same songs as on the album. But that's enough for me anyway! :thumb_yello:

YYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyesss! I brought my canon rebel to the concert but wasn't allowd to bring it in to the concert because it looks "like a professional camera" so i dont have any pictures :crybaby:

But it was amazing, and they are so cute and funny, and weren't allowed bringing the chandelier over the border and ezra was sad about that :roftl:

YYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyesss! I brought my canon rebel to the concert but wasn't allowd to bring it in to the concert because it looks "like a professional camera" so i dont have any pictures :crybaby:

That sucks! Venues don't normally allow cameras with detachable lenses (DSLRs) in. It annoys me so much. :aah: If you go to free, outdoor things I find they're more liberal with it. Or if you find small venues.

• 1 month later...
Have any of you heard Rostam's band called Discovery? Its a side project he did with Wes from Ra Ra Riot. Its a lot different than VW, much more electronic, but oddly catchy. Anyway, what do you all think of it??

(You can stream the album on their website http://dscvry.net/ )

Will listen to it! Thanks for posting the information! :)

So here’s my report on the Vampire Weekend gig I went to on Saturday.

The gig was sold out but we got in at 7 pm and at that time there were like 30 people in the queue in front of us.

Pretty relaxed and very nice people there. So we had time to get a drink and sit on the floor and talk to some guys we met. I tried to find a set list, but only found a time table so I knew they would start playing at 9:15 pm. The opening band was “Jenny & Johnny” from Cal-i-fornia maaaaan. They had some nice songs though and played for 45 minutes.

Till then everything was fine, we were in the 2nd row, directly in front of the micro of Ezra. But in the break btw. Jenny & Johnny and VW people started pushing from behind like mad so I had to hold on to the bars not to get trodden on or get pushed away. There were also some very drunk guys who just pushed their way to the front rows in a very unpleasant way. And as VW walked in people went really mad. They started pushing so hard I thought I would lose my shoes and taking pictures or filming was impossible. I couldn’t really listen to the music either, too busy trying not to fall. And it was terribly hot.

So after the first song we pushed our way out to the right and found a good spot near the medical staff – they had to pull out some people from the middle of the crowd who had fainted and take care of them. But they enjoyed the gig as well, were dancing and singing as well. We still were in the second row so it was ok. I stood near Chris Baio, the bassist, he’s such a charming guy – smiling all the time in a boyish way, he was really enjoying himself. And his way of dancing is just hilarious. They played the well known songs like Horchata, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, A-Punk, Diplomat’s son, Taxi cab, Walcott, Mansard Roof, Holiday, White Sky, Campus, Cousins. 3 encores. I don’t remember the exact set list, sorry. As the fast songs were played I was really glad we went out of the middle of that crowd – people went crazy, were jumping, screaming, pushing… After the gig we went out, people coming from the inside of the crowd were lying on the floor, gasping for breath. We got our coats and waited for a while on the back door where the tour bus was parked but after a while we got really cold and since I am taking my guy to the MGMT gig on the 7th as well and I really want to wait for the M&G then I thought it would be a good idea to skip that one (if there ever was one :dunno:) – he hates M&Gs. :teehee: So we went home.

About the music: They play the songs in exactly the same way as on the album, nothing experimental, new, improvised at the gig. So I think for me it is enough to listen to the albums. :dunno: If you want to have a party and a rave and a mad time – go! It is fun. But if you want to listen to the music and watch them - better watch some vids on utube.

Don’t get me wrong – they are very good live performers! Ezra sang beautifully, great voice. Had his usual stuff on: jeans, boat shoes, blue white checked shirt. Rostam was the conductor – you really could see how he carefully listens to the rest of the band and how it is really important for him to know if they are playing “his” songs right. I think he’s an extremely talented person. Hope to hear more music from him in the future. They were smiling and nice, but didn’t interact with the audience a lot. Ezra just said some Hellos, Thank yous and “Our next song is…” “We have to come again, you are a great crowd” bla bla the usual stuff in English. I wonder sometimes how tired musicians must be of that sort of talk…

Also something else about them performing live…I didn’t feel some special kind of vibe or atmosphere at the gig. I don’t know how to explain it better, it was kind of too well rehearsed or too smooth to be very emotional. I really want to hear MGMT live and feel something else there.

The best thing about that gig: MGMT are playing at that venue on the 7th as well. So now I know where to stand at their gig :teehee:

So that’s it. I made three vids with my iPhone but the sound is terrible – next time I’ll use my camera instead…

Edited by southeast

@southeast Thank you for your gig report. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I really like some of their songs (the few I heard on MTV) and I have been wondering about how they might sound live ... Your report answered that, I think :teehee:, so now I know I won't be missing much if I don't attend their gig, should they plan to do one nearby...

At the same time, it does remind me why I enjoy Mika's performances so much:blush-anim-cl: I can't help thinking that perhaps we, Mika fans have higher expectations from live concerts than other people (?) :dunno::teehee: