Mika vs Mika: The Mikster might have to change his name...

Niki27

This is a vid which was shown on the Belgian national news this evening...

http://skynet.rtbf.be/index.html?page=reportages&pq=medium&pj=7682&pr=57749&parag=rep57749

It's in French but here's the translation.

Please don't panick... I'm sure Universal won't let it happen.

He’s one of today’s most popular artists... The British singer Mika is a pop phenomenon, but he might have to change his name. A Belgian reggae singer, also named Mika, wants to go to court to defend her name. That’s what you can call a real mess.

On the left of the screen, Mika, who’s doing great with over 600 000 albums sold. On the right, another Mika, a Belgian reggae singer whose sales are much more modest. They have only one thing in common: a very catchy but confusing pseudonym... The belgian Mika copyrighted her name by the SABAM (belgian association for the protection of artists and intellectual rights) in 1983 and she claims the British singer is trying to steal her name.

“It’s a real prejudice when I contact music companies or event organisators for they don’t know who’s who anymore and some even think I stole the name “Mika†although it’s been my pseudonym for years. So I really have the feeling I’m not in control anymore and can’t go on under this name anymore.â€

There is one Mika too much on this earth and the Belgian one is determined to sue the huge multinational that’s Universal Music. The British Mika has contacted his lawyer and might change his name.

There is a famous precedent in history: the Staracademy (French equivalent of Pop Idol) winner Nolwenn had to add her lastname to her pseudonym and sing under the name “Nolwenn Leroy†after an another Nolwenn complained.

This anecdote raises the question of wether or not an artist has the right to protect his name.

“Artists can protect their real names but also their pseudonyms for they belong to their patrimonium, just like their imageâ€.

In order to win in court, the prejudice will have to be proven. Mika versus Mika... The Belgian singer wants a friendly arrangement... It might be the jackpot for her...

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! NOOOOOO, PLEASE, DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN! Mika is just Mika, for God's sake. It's his name. How could you change that? Maybe BIg M will have to go with 'Mica', after all. I don't think it would be a problem, since I suppose he's sufficiently famous by now for people to know how to pronounce his name. I hope the change doesn't happen, though. I love his name as it is. *Is scared. Of what? She doesn't know*:shocked::bored::emot-sad:

Thanks for posting and for the translation!:thumb_yello:

But i don't think he's gonna change it !

If there's a trial it won't be up to him to decide... Universal will have to pay I guess. Just hope he isn't obliged to cancel the Belgian gig until it's settled :tears:

Ok, I personally think that that is just wrong. Mika was borm Mika Penniman (I think, he said his real name was Mika in an interview). Even if he wasn't, people who knew him called him Mika (eg friends and family) fom before he became famous. Therfore, he should have the right to keep his own name. If he had only adopted the name Mika when he decided to make a record as his fame name, which he didn't, then it would be understandable that the other Mika (from Belgium) would want to sue him.

As Mica would say: "Y'a tellement de connards sur cette terre!" (There are so many assholes on this earth)

Merci pour le quote Pamette :thumb_yello:

Mika is copyright only for Belgium, right? For an international artist like he is I don't think he'll have to change his name. Maybe for Belgium but anyway, this is ridiculous!

He won't pay for his name!!! :sneaky2:

Sorry girl! He won't give you money!

You know he sells a lot of records and all you want is his money.

I know an another singer whose name is Mika. He's french!

This women don't ask him nothing although he made a record in 2006!!! :sneaky2:

Ok, I personally think that that is just wrong. Mika was borm Mika Penniman (I think, he said his real name was Mika in an interview). Even if he wasn't, people who knew him called him Mika (eg friends and family) fom before he became famous. Therfore, he should have the right to keep his own name. If he had only adopted the name Mika when he decided to make a record as his fame name, which he didn't, then it would be understandable that the other Mika (from Belgium) would want to sue him.

As far as I know (but I may be wrong *prays she is*), Mika was born 'Mica Penniman' and, since people kept pronouncing it wrong, he changed the 'c' for a 'k'. So, technically, the name could be changed? (please, someone argue this and convince me otherwise).

yes! I know! The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. Why is this guy bothering Mika? :thumbdown:

That witch should actually be glad to share her name with the big M, most people who land on her website probably do by accident when browsing for "our" Mika... Yes she just wants money and publicity.

And to answer to the questions that have been asked:

1) Yeah it's only for Belgium I guess

2) Nolwenn Leroy's real name was also Nolwenn, but she had to change it... so that doesn't mean anything.

As far as I know (but I may be wrong *prays she is*), Mika was born 'Mica Penniman' and, since people kept pronouncing it wrong, he changed the 'c' for a 'k'. So, technically, the name could be changed? (please, someone argue this and convince me otherwise).

Please don't kill me when i say this...but.....

isn't okay if he changes it to Mica? i mean it's the same pronunciation, to people who know how it's meant to be pronounced anyway.

if the copyright is only for belgium, why bother? He could change his name only there. I thought one english band did that too here in holland, not quite sure which one. But erm.. she's not getting more fans with this, I tell you. Plus, she'll never get big under the name 'Mika' anymore.

Please don't kill me when i say this...but.....

isn't okay if he changes it to Mica? i mean it's the same pronunciation, to people who know how it's meant to be pronounced anyway.

Yes, maybe you are right. :blink: And, as I said earlier, Mika is so famous by now that people will know how to pronounce the name. *Starts to calm down*