Lollipop

lindor_love_today

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the videos? They were on YouTube back in April. There was about 5 or 6 of them and it was a short interview before he performed each song talking about what the song was about. It seems like it was exactly what was in that article.

Ok. I read somewhere about the whole of Lollipop being slyly dirty (I can't remember if it was Mika saying it or on here). How is it dirty, cos once I got past the line 'suckin too hard on your lollipop' I'm not seein the dirty, and that line's not subtle, it's just an obvious innuendo that you'd be naive to miss.

He just kinda plays out the metaphor talking about too much candy rotting your soul.

He also replaces the "bore" in the "she's a player and a downright bore" line with "whore" when he's singing live and that was probably his original intention when he wrote it. Perhaps he wanted to use something tamer on the record in case it was released as a single. I noticed in the Koko performance that was aired on VH1 that they dubbed "whore" with the "more" he sang in the second line.

There was a story something along the lines of...whoever arranged for the children's choir that was supposed to perform on the recording also noticed this song was filled with innuendo and told Mika to forget it. No child performer in the state of California would be allowed to participate in a song with these lyrics. He ended up using his relatives instead.

He just kinda plays out the metaphor talking about too much candy rotting your soul.

He also replaces the "bore" in the "she's a player and a downright bore" line with "whore" when he's singing live and that was probably his original intention when he wrote it. Perhaps he wanted to use something tamer on the record in case it was released as a single. I noticed in the Koko performance that was aired on VH1 that they dubbed "whore" with the "more" he sang in the second line.

There was a story something along the lines of...whoever arranged for the children's choir that was supposed to perform on the recording also noticed this song was filled with innuendo and told Mika to forget it. No child performer in the state of California would be allowed to participate in a song with these lyrics. He ended up using his relatives instead.

WOW! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! It really explains a lot.

And I hadn't notice the replacement of words, maybe because I've never seen him live.

And I hadn't notice the replacement of words, maybe because I've never seen him live.

Here's the Koko performance http://youtube.com/watch?v=uMC3K9hxfTQ. It's halfway through the video as he sings Grace Kelly first.

Here's the same performance, but "whore" was dubbed with "more" when it aired on VH1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PqBcCjdkJms.

Really? I didn't know that too. Actually I was wondering about how he got the children choir because those lyrics, although not direct, are not really for children. Were did you get to know about this?

Really? I didn't know that too. Actually I was wondering about how he got the children choir because those lyrics, although not direct, are not really for children. Were did you get to know about this?

Sorry I really can't remember the source so I don't know how accurate it was. I don't know if it was a direct quote from Mika. That's why I said it was a story.

Hopefully someone else remembers and can provide a link.

Sorry I really can't remember the source so I don't know how accurate it was. I don't know if it was a direct quote from Mika. That's why I said it was a story.

Hopefully someone else remembers and can provide a link.

Ok, thanks anyway.:) This is quite possible, I know Mika said that one of the voices in Lollipop is his cousin's, but don't know about the others. And there could really be a problem with the children choir about the lyrics.

Ok, I now REALLY can't wait til Hammersmith (like I wasn't peeing myself with excitement before!). Every time I hear this song I automatically sing whore instead of bore anyway... now I know that's the proper word I'll stop correcting myself!