• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sun

Thursday, Oct. 11,2007

Mika's double date for Brits

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article326316.ece

snf11bizm280_370274a.jpg

THE Brits is the music awards bash of the year — and the night’s duets are always among the highlights.

Now I can reveal that next year’s event will see MIKA perform with either former QUEEN guitarist BRIAN MAY or RUFUS WAINWRIGHT.

Whoever he sings with, it promises to be explosive.

Flamboyant Grace Kelly singer Mika is continually arguing he’s nothing like Brian’s ex-bandmate, the late FREDDIE MERCURY.

snf11bizb180_370289a.jpg But Mika will not escape the comparisons if he and Brian, right, double up for the Brits at London’s Earls Court next February. A source said: “Mika is already guaranteed for the event but he’s still in talks about who to duet with.

“He knows how to put on a great show on his own — but with either Brian or Rufus on stage next to him he would blow the roof off.”

I can feel a rendition of Queen anthem We Will Rock You coming on.

And that would surely rival the Brits’ all-time great duets, like when JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE and KYLIE belted out BLONDIE hit Rapture in 2003 — and Justin famously grabbed Kylie’s bot.

I told you last month that Kylie is lined up for the 2008 Brits. So it seems the bash, to be shown live on ITV1, will be full of huge personalities. And that’s before any beehives have confirmed.

If I could choose...I prefer with Brian :mf_lustslow:

I hope it's with Brian May. RW takes himself VERY seriously.

Actually, he doesn't take himself too seriously....Rufus is a person that makes music that seems serious, but a lot of it is tongue in cheek and also during his concerts he is constantly telling jokes and having fun....

Pleeeeeeeeeeease let it be Rufus. I may actually have some kind of heart failure but it'd be soooo worth it since I LOVE them both :wub2:

But either could be pretty good - definitely gonna try and get tickets this year now I'm in London!

Actually, he doesn't take himself too seriously....Rufus is a person that makes music that seems serious, but a lot of it is tongue in cheek and also during his concerts he is constantly telling jokes and having fun....

Yeah I was gonna say that. On stage at least.

I love Rufus. I haven't seen him live...yet. I found this article through google, and I thought I would share it. He's amazing.

Rufus sparkles amid stage lights with camp cabaret

Rufus Wainwright

Tools

Print Email Search

Search

Go Monday October 15 2007

On a mild autumn night, a thousand people sit in absolute hush as a fully grown man limbers up to the microphone in an Austrian boy's outfit accessorised with a diamante necklace and bracelet that sparkles off the stage lights. It can only be Rufus Wainwright.

Wainwright is notorious for being unashamedly camp, to the point that he recreated Judy Garland's famous 1961 Carnegie Hall performance for a series of shows last year. And while on record the only clue of his sexuality is in his touching lyrics, which show a man fighting back against an unjust world, his performances are legendary as a celebration of flamboyance.

But he begins the night impressively and simply with half an hour of piano ballads. When the seven-strong band join him for 'Tier Garden', from his fifth and latest album 'Release The Stars', the show evolves into a musical without the plot -- though he does attempt to thread the songs together.

Just as tunes underline the emotion in musicals, so the lighting reinforces the mood of Rufus's show and it's meticulously thought out. When guitar solos begin, the colour that drenches the players becomes brighter. And when the horn section has its chance to shine, it's a literal accolade. But the spotlight always remains on Rufus. In true theatrical style, he's found singing with perfect diction and constantly raising his arms slowly to the ceiling as his voice follows.

But his finale is so absurd that it's clear he doesn't take himself too seriously: dressed in a dinner jacket, stockings and stilettos, he belts out a fabulous rendition of 'Get Happy' as his backing band fall out of their element and turn into a perfectly choreographed crew of tuxedoed men dancing awkwardly around him.

It's not hard to see why he gets three standing ovations before his set is even finished. As far as indie camp cabaret is concerned, the market's cornered.

I think I will have a sheer heart attack if I see Mika singing with Brian. It would be fantastic!!

Please oh please someone needs to record this event (no matter who he's with) for us poor saps in the states!!!!

• 3 weeks later...