Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

I have no idea what you just said.:naughty:

For the longest time, I would hear people say "take the mick out of" on here and was totally clueless as to what they meant. Then Mika said in an interview that the schoolkids used to take the mickey out of him.

Does it mean tease or beat up?:boxed:

Means to "make fun of", I guess.

That's how I've always heard it anyway.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're different in the states. And I'm pretty positive they're different in Canada, too. It's like on the Friday Night Project, and they give away 'pants'. Then I found out it's underwear.

McDonalds, Micky D's. Nothing else.:naughty:

we call it the donk :D

This has to be my absolute favorite britishism:

All right? - This is used a lot around London and the south to mean, "Hello, how are you"? You would say it to a complete stranger or someone you knew. The normal response would be for them to say "All right"? back to you. It is said as a question. Sometimes it might get expanded to "all right mate"? Mostly used by blue collar workers but also common among younger people.

That is so adorable. I'm going to start using it.

All right? - This is used a lot around London and the south to mean, "Hello, how are you"? You would say it to a complete stranger or someone you knew. The normal response would be for them to say "All right"? back to you. It is said as a question. Sometimes it might get expanded to "all right mate"? Mostly used by blue collar workers but also common among younger people.

I use that alot!!

I like it!

But americans will be confused. :naughty:

"Hi, how are you?"

"All right?"

"...why are you asking me? Don't you know?"

I love this thread.. It's so funny because over here it's not an english speaking country.. so we tend to collect slang from all over the english speakign world and use it.. randomly..

:lmao:

I notice that; once I was listening to two of my friends speaking spanish and it went like this:

"¿Cómo fue el fiesta?"

"¡Bien; fuimos 'CRUNK!'"