Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I will tell her she was wrong! Well...I already tried to tell her that she was wrong, but she didn't believe me. :roftl:

Tell her you're my little treacle!

I am posh! Have you only just realised that you chav! :naughty:

:naughty:

Does cor blimey start moving into that range?

That just makes me think of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins :bleh:

Or Sid James in a Carry On film.

How offensive is the word "bloody"? My mom heard Mika say it before Big Girl on youtube (you know the "show us what you're bloody worth" part), and she seemed shocked that he said it.

It does amuse me that on US shows whenever they have an English or British character and they want to make them sound really really British, they make them say 'bloody' in every sentence :naughty: . Think Charlie in Lost.

It's not that strong - even Ron Weasley says it in Harry Potter :shocked:

Think Charlie in Lost.

But Charlie has said words whose American equivalent would never be allowed on prime time US television. They're slipping them in because the censors don't know what they mean :bleh:

It does amuse me that on US shows whenever they have an English or British character and they want to make them sound really really British, they make them say 'bloody' in every sentence :naughty: . Think Charlie in Lost.

Hahah a few pages back i said "Blimey, Harry!" and i was quoting Ron Weasley, of course.

Ok, shhhhh im suffering from MAJOR harry potter withdrawal.

Ohh. If ever you guys come to Canada, don't think we're retarded if we say " I LOVE BEAVER TAILS!"

It's not really a beaver tail, its a pastry, shaped like one i guess, lol. and they're called beaver tails. you can put anything you want on them.. mmmm they're so good.

i think this one has cinnamon on it.

799px-BeaverTail_pastry_Ottawa.jpg

Mmm, treacle. Very yummy in hot milk. (My apologies if that's actually some kind of treacle faux pas!)

Oh, I don't know. It's like mollasses, right? I didn't even spell that right, most likely. Hollis and I just call each other 'treacle' because, apparently, the brits say it as a term of endearment.

Oh, I don't know. It's like mollasses, right? I didn't even spell that right, most likely. Hollis and I just call each other 'treacle' because, apparently, the brits say it as a term of endearment.

Wikipedia says it is "thick, amber-colored form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid."

If you've ever tried steamed milk with a shot of caramel, it's sorta like that.

Oh, and can I state for the record that I don't like maple? Well, okay, *real* maple syrup, but only on waffles. Maple cookies and cakes and stuff? Bleh.

Don't tell the prime minister I said that - I'm sure admitting a distaste for maple is some sort of treason. :mf_rosetinted:

HAHAHA. I only really like maple on waffles. I don't like pancakes, unless my mom makes chocolate chip pancakes. And then chocolate + maple = ew.

HAHAHA. I only really like maple on waffles. I don't like pancakes, unless my mom makes chocolate chip pancakes. And then chocolate + maple = ew.

My mom called me last weekend to inform me that my dad made her a pancake in the shape of - erm - male genitalia. :roftl:

I wonder if THAT is a Canadian-ism!

My mom called me last weekend to inform me that my dad made her a pancake in the shape of - erm - male genitalia. :roftl:

I wonder if THAT is a Canadian-ism!

ROFL. Did he do it on purpose? Or was it an accident? And how old are your parents? :roftl:

No, it was quite deliberate. Being empty-nesters now, it's like they're trying to re-live their youths, or something.

And, my dad just turned 55. :shocked::naughty:

My mother is completely repulsed by my dad, on the contrary.:biggrin2: