Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, I know he says that sometimes...like at Lowlands in Holland. But I think most of the time (or at least in the US) he says "bloody".

You can say the f-word here - as long as you don't do it on the radio. :bleh:

Well yes, I know he says that sometimes...like at Lowlands in Holland. But I think most of the time (or at least in the US) he says "bloody".

I like when he says "bloody well."

we pronounce SCONE the same as BONE, but in Lancs they pronounce it like GONE, and they say I 'sound posh' when I say it in my accent (I'm anything but posh!) Scone is a strange one!

Omg, thank you.

Got into a silly argument over this word one night with some aussies.

*glares at Baby and Kelzy*

They kept telling me that it was "sconn" instead of "scohwn" and that only americans pronounced it the other way. (Because everyone knows we're silly gits who don't know how to talk.) And you live in the UK! That's wonderful.:thumb_yello:

*does an in-your-face dance at the aussies*:naughty:

Okay, I have a question.

What would you call the bread product in this picture (not the filling, just imagine the bread, the round shaped bread thing. It's just ordinary plain bread):

barm%20butty.jpg

In Britain there are around 100 million (:naughty: nearly!) different names for it depending on where you live. It causes much confusion!

I would call it a teacake, being from Yorkshire. Some call it a bread roll, or a barm cake, or a bap, or a stottie cake. I have had arguments with friends over this!!

What about other countries?

I love this thread!! It reminds me a bit of Bill Bryson's books!

I think he actually says something a little more offensive than bloody (Show us what your f-ing worth!)

A couple of different ones in the different states here in Oz include

polony/ luncheon meat (processed meat roll)

swimmers/bathers/togs (swimming outfit)

peanut butter/peanut paste (people in syd look at you weirdly if you say peanut paste!)

port/backpack (schoolbag)

nikko/marker (my company is based in Brisbane and they sent someone in melbourne out to get a "nikko" (which is a brand but is used as a general term for a marker pen) and they came back 2 hours later saying they couldn't get one anywhere!

there are prob heaps more if I think about it!

You can get polony here, but the stuff that you get in the supermarket has nothing on and is nothing like the polony you get from a proper pork butcher, you couldn't call it luncheon meat either.

Omg, thank you.

Got into a silly argument over this word one night with some aussies.

*glares at Baby and Kelzy*

They kept telling me that it was "sconn" instead of "scohwn" and that only americans pronounced it the other way. (Because everyone knows we're silly gits who don't know how to talk.) And you live in the UK! That's wonderful.:thumb_yello:

*does an in-your-face dance at the aussies*:naughty:

Haha, but I live in the UK and say sconn. :roftl: You can't win AF!

Okay, I have a question.

What would you call the bread product in this picture (not the filling, just imagine the bread, the round shaped bread thing. It's just ordinary plain bread):

barm%20butty.jpg

In Britain there are around 100 million (:naughty: nearly!) different names for it depending on where you live. It causes much confusion!

I would call it a teacake, being from Yorkshire. Some call it a bread roll, or a barm cake, or a bap, or a stottie cake. I have had arguments with friends over this!!

Is that just a regular sized one? In the north east it would be a bread bun and a stottie cake is much bigger, kind of pizza size.

Okay, I have a question.

What would you call the bread product in this picture

When I first saw it I thought bap but I don't know if that's from living in London or watching too much Coronation Street.

I call them buns in Canada. A large one of a particular shape is a kaiser roll.

750037600_acabf8a36d.jpg

Okay, I have a question.

barm%20butty.jpg

panini???

:thumb_yello:

Okay, I have a question.

barm%20butty.jpg

Being from the US, I would call it a bun.

When I first saw it I thought bap but I don't know if that's from living in London or watching too much Coronation Street.

I call them buns in Canada. A large one of a particular shape is a kaiser roll.

750037600_acabf8a36d.jpg

I AM FREAKING ADDICTED TO KAISER ROLLS.

That was the only good thing about working at that damned grocery store. I got to eat kaiser rolls on my break. *drool*:wub2: