Eccentric-energetic-and-entertaining-.3526138.jp

« Previous

« Previous

Next »

Next »

View Gallery

By HAYLEY REVELL

Concert review from the Carling Academy

The arrival of Mika in Newcastle on Monday night brought a varied audience to the sold out Carling Academy, and when the girl next to me was a seven-year-old and the woman in front was dressed in a wig and butterfly wings, I wondered what the night had in store.

His first appearance in the region was slightly overshadowed by a certain man band appearing at another venue, but credit where credit is due - this was one of the performances of the year.

The 23-year-old bounded on stage just after 9pm, clearly just as excited to be there as the crowd, and launched straight into his new single Relax (Take It Easy) and Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), sending the audience wild.

Certain similarities between Mika and legend Freddie Mercury were there for everyone to see, as he raced across the stage in an energetic performance and his powerful voice and high pitched tones would have impressed the harshest of critics.

The more songs he sang, the louder the crowd cheered, and one particular favourite was Billy Brown. Before performing the song he let the crowd into a tale about how top music mogul Tommy Matola rejected him in the US after hearing that song, and so Mika told him in no uncertain terms where to go!

The majority of the show was fast paced in the pop rock sense that Mika is famous for, but things slowed down once or twice, and his last single Happy Ending/Over M

y Shoulder had the crowd waving their arms and joining in the vocals.

The biggest cheer of the night came for Grace Kelly, the song that flung the half Lebanese, half American singing sensation into the limelight in 2006.

The audience loved it and screamed for him to sing more, and not for the first time during the night he seemed genuinely humbled by the reaction.

One last special treat was in store as the singer and his band returned to the stage in a cartoon sketch which had everyone clapping and cheering.

The venue then descended into camp chaos as streamers and giant balloons descended on the crowd and the band performed Lollipop dressed as bunny rabbits, crocodiles and other cartoon characters.

I don't think the Carling Academy has seen a show like this before, and I don't think it will again.

Delightfully eccentric, highly energetic and thoroughly entertaining.

The full article contains 409 words and appears in n/a newspaper.

Last Updated: 27 November 2007 12:14 PM

e this aint been posted

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The audience loved it and screamed for him to sing more, and not for the first time during the night he seemed genuinely humbled by the reaction.

yep he sure seemed it. and what a great review, this person "gets" the Mika experience :thumb_yello:

dam right, I am a kinda honoury Geordie as I did grow up there for 20 years and live only an hour away now and ppl STILL say we are Geordies lol though the accent is no where near the same lol.

It's odd really cos I have loved every one of his gigs I have been to but I cant understand why this one was so special, yet it was, it's like there was an electric energy that buzzed round the crowd and stage and you could just FEEL the lurrrrve, it was awesome, I hope Mika gets to see the reviews.

I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM

in a motherly and affectionate way of course :wink2::mf_lustslow: ps, did I say I LOVE HIM??

dam right, I am a kinda honoury Geordie as I did grow up there for 20 years and live only an hour away now and ppl STILL say we are Geordies lol though the accent is no where near the same lol.

It's odd really cos I have loved every one of his gigs I have been to but I cant understand why this one was so special, yet it was, it's like there was an electric energy that buzzed round the crowd and stage and you could just FEEL the lurrrrve, it was awesome, I hope Mika gets to see the reviews.

in a motherly and affectionate way of course :wink2::mf_lustslow: ps, did I say I LOVE HIM??

Do you love him :wink2:

The North East is a special place , we are partyyy people and friendly , its always rocking up here :punk: :punk:

Do you love him :wink2:

The North East is a special place , we are partyyy people and friendly , its always rocking up here :punk: :punk:

Acctually Freddie I think it was YOUR doing, I think you put magic gas in that balloon and everyone who touched it was under the Mika spell, so that means everyone cos I doubt there was a person there who didnt tap that balloon at some point :naughty: it certainly felt that way from the audience reaction to him (who was in Newcastle just up the road again the same night.....:blink: some man band or other was it, never heard a dickie bird it must have been a very tame show eh :bleh:).

Acctually Freddie I think it was YOUR doing, I think you put magic gas in that balloon and everyone who touched it was under the Mika spell, so that means everyone cos I doubt there was a person there who didnt tap that balloon at some point :naughty: it certainly felt that way from the audience reaction to him (who was in Newcastle just up the road again the same night.....:blink: some man band or other was it, never heard a dickie bird it must have been a very tame show eh :bleh:).

You know that balloon was such a stroke of luck :biggrin2: , I expected to bounce it and then someone would burst it but it went on and on , thats the thing to get everyone in a party mood really , silly small things sometimes make or break a gig ... I was looking back to roars of woooo wooo weeee with hands everywhere bouncing it !! amazing!!!!

Btw it was on top of the bar when I left , I loved the fact that it was on stage for relax too and Mika was kicking it :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

You know that balloon was such a stroke of luck :biggrin2: , I expected to bounce it and then someone would burst it but it went on and on , thats the thing to get everyone in a party mood really , silly small things sometimes make or break a gig ... I was looking back to roars of woooo wooo weeee with hands everywhere bouncing it !! amazing!!!!

Btw it was on top of the bar when I left , I loved the fact that it was on stage for relax too and Mika was kicking it :biggrin2:

:naughty::naughty: OH so it WAS on top of the bar, my mate who is a sound chick there says it took them an hour to get it down the next day and that the mess from teh confetti that they had to sweep up was terrible :naughty: (pfft and to think she couldnt even get me a free ticket let alone a date with Mika and she works there, pfft last time I speak to her then hahaha.

:naughty::naughty: OH so it WAS on top of the bar, my mate who is a sound chick there says it took them an hour to get it down the next day and that the mess from teh confetti that they had to sweep up was terrible :naughty: (pfft and to think she couldnt even get me a free ticket let alone a date with Mika and she works there, pfft last time I speak to her then hahaha.

And more pfffttssssssssssssssssss , yeh that was my balloon :roftl: , god knows how it got there!!!

I say we get 20 of them and bounce them at one of the gigs :biggrin2:

We shall create lollipop before the song even comes on:bleh:

The 23-year-old bounded on stage just after 9pm, clearly just as excited to be there as the crowd, and launched straight into his new single Relax (Take It Easy) and Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), sending the audience wild.

23? :shocked:

:roftl:

23? :shocked:

:roftl:

lol didn't notice that, pffft some reviewer hasn't done their homework but I will let her off for "getting" the Mika experience.

My friend and her daughter who went to Newcastle too who arnt really Mika fans but like to go to gigs said they were blown away by him and so were some of her mates from her work and mates of them too, so everyone she spoke to about it who had gone or known someone who had gone were raving about Mika and the gig, saying it was an awesome experience and that Mika is a true performer, but WE know that already :naughty:

Reading the first page I thought sparkly1 and FD were having a private conversation LOL!!:naughty:

Glad to see some positive press like this...reviewers can get smitten too, by our boy!! Hard to resist isn't he, eh????????:blink: