the Best Cds of 2007

greta

Christopher Muther-the Boston Guide

December 16, 2007

Yelle, "Pop-up" Gallic pop pixie Yelle holds the distinction of recording the catchiest single of the year with her cover of "A Cause Des Garcons" (although Beck's "Timebomb" is a close second). Her album, recorded en francais, is a fizzy dance party that mixes traces of Plastic Bertrand, Nu Shooz, and Fannypack into a delectable bonbon.

Andrew Bird, "Armchair Apocrypha" The violinist's trip to the center of his psyche reveals a new layer upon each listen. It has the potential to be cloyingly self-aware, but Bird's narratives are lovely rather than annoying. He even gives Rufus Wainwright a run for his chamber-pop money on the haunting "Scythian Empire."

The Go! Team, "Proof of Youth" Ian Parton's bedroom recordings seemed to be a cheerful fluke on his band's debut outing, "Thunder, Lightning, Strike." But he builds on the Double Dutch jump-rope chants and static-y Northern Soul with more aggressive guitars, rocking melodica solos, and top-notch vocals by powerhouse frontwoman Ninja.

Jens Lekman, "Night Falls Over Kortedala" Lekman's honey baritone adds depth to these featherweight orchestral-pop songs. His overactive imagination results in songs such as "A Postcard to Nina," where the Swedish crooner tells a lesbian buddy that he can no longer pretend to be her boyfriend.

Mark Ronson, "Version," and Amy Winehouse, "Frank" This was the year of Winehouse's neo-Motown soul, which also makes it the year of her producer, Mark Ronson. On his debut, Ronson calls in favors from Winehouse and Robbie Williams, who plays a singing James Bond on his pitch-perfect cover of "The Only One I Know." As Winehouse moaned about rehab, her soulful 2003 debut finally saw the light of day in the United States.

Mika, "Life in Cartoon Motion" Former boy soprano Mika eerily channels Freddie Mercury on ambiguously gay show stoppers such as "Grace Kelly" and "Lollipop." Close your eyes, and you can almost see the jazz hands flailing along to "Billy Brown" and "Big Girl."

LCD Soundsystem, "Sound of Silver" It's unusual to find an album of dance rock for grown-ups, but James Murphy's confessions of aging at the discotheque is like finding a mix tape filled with New Order and David Bowie. Just to stay limber, by the end of the year, Murphy released "45:33," a soundtrack for - wait for it - jogging. Genius.

Carla Bruni, "No Promises" The supermodel tackles the poetry of Emily Dickinson, Dorothy Parker, and other wordsmiths by adapting prose into blues and chanson-style songs. Bruni's sexy interpretation gives these words an entirely different kind of power - the power to make trousers and blouses quickly disappear.

Bertrand Burgalat, "Cheri B.B." Burgalat's retro-chic pop is endlessly charming - a mix of vintage electronics, ye-ye- influenced hooks, and soaring strings that lift his broken English and French creations to the heavens.

Dean & Britta, "Back Numbers" Rainy Saturday nights were invented for listening to albums like this. Luna's Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips time-travel back to the musical bedroom where Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood once frolicked.

:punk: I agree for most of all :biggrin2:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, I totally went back up to the list to count to see who was sixth!

I agree with you though!! He's awesome!

yay! me too! :yay: :yay:

though there are lots of incredible albums

but he is the only one in my heart right now...:roftl: :roftl: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: