Let's talk POLITICS ( NO FIGHTS)

BonjourMika1990

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else watching the debate?

They asked Obama to address McCain about the one topic, and Obama was talking to the guy hosting. Then the guy looked at Obama and said "Tell it to Senator McCain" or something like that. So Obama looked at him and said "JOHN,--" and kept on talking. They both laughed and McCain said to the host "You didn't think I could hear him?"

It was funny.

Is anyone else watching the debate?

They asked Obama to address McCain about the one topic, and Obama was talking to the guy hosting. Then the guy looked at Obama and said "Tell it to Senator McCain" or something like that. So Obama looked at him and said "JOHN,--" and kept on talking. They both laughed and McCain said to the host "You didn't think I could hear him?"

It was funny.

lol yeah, that made me laugh:roftl:

lol yeah, that made me laugh:roftl:

I was afraid no one would know what I was talking about.

It's one of those things where it was funny when it happened, but if you didn't see it / don't understand my explanation, it was really pointless.:naughty:

I was afraid no one would know what I was talking about.

It's one of those things where it was funny when it happened, but if you didn't see it / don't understand my explanation, it was really pointless.:naughty:

I saw it too.

And like Melanie said, McCain wouldn't look at Obama, while Obama would look at McCain and address him. I also noticed that Obama referred to McCain as "John" and McCain referred to Obama as "Senator Obama". I just thought that was interesting.

McCain was pretty redundant. I didn't watch the whole thing, but he said he wasn't Miss Congeniality at least 3 times. He also said how much Obama has spent 5 or 6 times.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous when talking about government spending, he decides to bring up $3 million we're spending on bears.

$3 million is pocket change considering what we're dumping in Iraq. If we're going to make cuts, it's gonna have to be way, way, WAY more than $3 million.

I didn't watch the whole thing, either.

I hate the way they'll laugh while the other one is talking. They both did it. It's so rude and irritating.

I know! That is a major pet peeve of mine in any debate. Even if your opponent is pulling for taking the vote away from gays and putting women back in the home, you still need to show respect while they are speaking.

These two men are competing for the position of running our country, they are trying to convince us that they are qualified to make the kinds of major decisions that will affect millions, show diplomacy in sensitive foreign communications, hopefully pull this nation out of the mudhole it's been in for the last eight years, and both of them were snickering at each other like schoolboy rivals.

Totally unprofessional.:thumbdown:

...Ok, I'm done with my rant.:biggrin2:

And like Melanie said, McCain wouldn't look at Obama, while Obama would look at McCain and address him. I also noticed that Obama referred to McCain as "John" and McCain referred to Obama as "Senator Obama". I just thought that was interesting.

I found it even more interesting when he addressed him as Jim. :naughty:

He did?

Jack = nickname for John.

Jim = nickname for James. :blink:

I'm getting so sick of this one girl. We're friends on MySpace, and we're not really FRIENDS friends in real life. Like, we have alot of the same friends and I know her, but we don't really talk. She keeps posting these ridiculous bulletins about how much she hates McCain.

It's like... good god. I understand you support Obama, but I don't need to see 5 bulletins a day telling me why. (And they're dumb reasons anyway, like because McCain doesn't drive a hybrid.)

OOOOOOOOOOH!

I'm voting for Kevin Rudd! :biggrin2:

Ooooops... wrong country! :naughty:

Now, I was thinking about who I would vote for if I were an American... How does it work anyways? Do you have a ballot paper with only the candidate names for the Republicans and Democrats? Or do you have other parties and you can vote for whatever group tickles your fancy...

I know you've got smaller parties, but do they give their votes to another party?

I know they might seem like stupid questions, but all we hear about is the candidates themselves... surprisingly enough we don't know about your voting system or how it's similar/different to ours... :naughty:

I'm interested in the answer to those questions too.

And I think you Americans vote separately for President and senate/congress (tho maybe at the same time?). Is that right? Unlike here where you vote for a local MP and the head of the party with the most MPs becomes Prime Minister

This is the first year I'll vote, so I don't know exactly what the ballot looks like.

I think your options are Obama, McCain, and a handful of people from other parties.

Not sure, but I think it also lists party name above the candidate. Like...

Republican Party

John McCain

Democratic Party

Barack Obama

Green Party

L. Ike Trees

things like that.

I'm interested in the answer to those questions too.

And I think you Americans vote separately for President and senate/congress (tho maybe at the same time?). Is that right? Unlike here where you vote for a local MP and the head of the party with the most MPs becomes Prime Minister

Oooooh..

We vote for the federal member for the area on one sheet (which is the House of Representatives), then on the other sheet it's voting for the Senate...

The Prime Minister they use the House of Representatives sheet to count which party wins the election... whoever is in charge of the party is the Prime Minister...

This is the first year I'll vote, so I don't know exactly what the ballot looks like.

I think your options are Obama, McCain, and a handful of people from other parties.

Not sure, but I think it also lists party name above the candidate. Like...

Republican Party

John McCain

Democratic Party

Barack Obama

Green Party

L. Ike Trees

things like that.

Ooooh... makes sense! Cheers! :thumb_yello:

I didn't watch the whole thing, either.

I hate the way they'll laugh while the other one is talking. They both did it. It's so rude and irritating.

I know! That is a major pet peeve of mine in any debate. Even if your opponent is pulling for taking the vote away from gays and putting women back in the home, you still need to show respect while they are speaking.

Totally unprofessional.:thumbdown:

Agreed.

It seemed like McCain laughed and shook his head a lot and Obama kept cutting in and putting his finger up as if he wasn't going to get a chance to speak. Both were incredibly annoying. I was even thinking to myself when Obama would cut in, "Let him finish." It's not like they both got 2 minutes to address each issue or anything like that...

Jim, I understood because Jim Lehrer was moderating. However, how Obama got "Tom" at one point really confused me. :naughty:

I'm getting so sick of this one girl. We're friends on MySpace, and we're not really FRIENDS friends in real life. Like, we have alot of the same friends and I know her, but we don't really talk. She keeps posting these ridiculous bulletins about how much she hates McCain.

It's like... good god. I understand you support Obama, but I don't need to see 5 bulletins a day telling me why. (And they're dumb reasons anyway, like because McCain doesn't drive a hybrid.)

Sorry, I'll stop.