GO GREEN! Saving the environment:what have you done?

Oh hello again! I start some controversial threads, about the world and what not...the politics etc... But it is for a good reason. I feel like many on here just want to chat with one another...sometimes good conversations like these stimulate our minds. In that way, its refreshing hearing so many opinions.:thumb_yello:

I was watching Oprah this morning (love her!) and she did a special on eco. friendly alternatives to the pullutants we use for driving, cleaning, eating etc...

I was amazed at how easy it could be to make a difference. Often times, people get lazy and don't do something that is good for the environment because they figure it won't make a difference, "I'm just one person." But with a universal attitude like that, it does make a difference.

I am no saint. I used to be extrememly wasteful. Well, ok, I wasn't so bad but I could have been better. I used to take like 5 napkins to dry my hands after washing...and I wash my hands alot! I used to leave the water running while I brushed my teeth.

Now, I don't drive, but I live close enough to the city to where I feel the effects of pullution. I'll drive someday, just because it will be handy...BUT, when I live in NYC someday, I don't think I'll need to drive.

The point is, there are little things everyone can do to make a difference... I've done a few,but how about you???

Why do you think it's become to trendy to "go green." Do you think the earth is in real danger? Whose fault is it? Can you see the problem getting better or worse as time goes on?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well done girl for this thread...its so important..anyway I have got the non dufus non energy sapping bulbs, reuseable bags, buy fair trade when can, am veggie.....i still have a long way top go:boxed: but im getting there...

LOL thanks girls!

And I too am kinda sorta a veggie...it's been a long process, but i'm getting there...

I need to get me some of those light bulbs though.

The problem is, i'm still living at home, and my family isn't really conscious of all of these issues:thumbdown: or don't really "have time" to care... When I move out though, I'll do things my way:bleh: :mf_rosetinted:

The world is in danger... But what annoys me is the people that are saying there is nothing wrong and the scientists are liars! Or the ones which don't care simply because it won't happen in their lifetime... Like my parents! They won't recycle and I'm laughed at if I say the word 'Carbon Footprint'. I see that there is a problem and it seems that everyone else around me is oblivious. I can't place the blame on anyone, because it's partly everyones fault and partly the scientists/government for not promoting it enough beforehand! This is one thing that bothers me about life... That not enough ordinary people could give a toss to make a difference. Also, the numbers of rainforests being cut down and the amount of animals losing they're homes... But I think thats for another thread.

I'm not doing anything I didn't do before, i.e. I've always turned lights off when I left a room, unplugged electronics, tried not to use so much water, and recycled.

I don't believe in the whole global warming theory, but I do try to limit my use of some things.

I don't use housecleaning chemicals. I clean everything I can with baking soda and/or vinegar, and I use Seventh Generation (http://www.seventhgeneration.com/) laundry soap, dish soap, and paper products. I choose local products over ones that have come from miles away whenever possible.

I also try to stick to organic vegetables and dairy, but admittedly that's more of a selfish I'd-rather-not-eat-excess-hormones-and-chemicals thing than a concern-about-the-environment thing, although that is an added benefit. I also rarely eat meat - but that again is a selfish this-bacon-tastes-unappealing-can-I-have-some-spinach-please thing.

I think people can be convinced to do little things, but major changes are where it falls flat. It's one thing to turn off lights when you leave a room; it's another to triple your commute time by taking public transit instead of driving.

What I don't understand are the blatant transgressions against Mother Nature. Why does a single guy in a suit and tie need a freakin' Hummer to commute from Suburbia to downtown, to work in an office tower? I think a Prius would do nicely. Compensating, much? :sneaky2:

I'm not doing anything I didn't do before, i.e. I've always turned lights off when I left a room, unplugged electronics, tried not to use so much water, and recycled.

I don't believe in the whole global warming theory, but I do try to limit my use of some things.

really? How come???

No no no, I'm not getting suckered into another fight, thanks!:wink2:

LOL I don't think a fight will break out about global warming. I'm curious:mf_lustslow:

I believe in their theory, simply because it seems like the weather is out of wack and those ice caps are melting

poor polar bears:thumbdown:

I love animals!

Well the temperature just hasn't changed all that much. It's changed an average of one degree in the past 100 years or whatever.

Plus, I heard multiple times that global warming is actually good for the plants and enviornment. And the reasoning they provided me with seemed much more believeable than drowning polar bears.

But I will send them some water wingies if I'm wrong.:thumb_yello:

Well the temperature just hasn't changed all that much. It's changed an average of one degree in the past 100 years or whatever.

Plus, I heard multiple times that global warming is actually good for the plants and enviornment. And the reasoning they provided me with seemed much more believeable than drowning polar bears.

awww... the temperature over here is always changing... it was below 0 the other day and next week its gonna reach the mid 50's...

The thing that worries me most is all the packagaing you get with stuff. I would not mind it it were recycable, but it just ends up on landfill sites :thumbdown:

So I try to recycle as much as possible and try to not use so many plastic bags..

Thing I don't like about it is that there is not much other choice with packaging etc to the every day consumer.

awww... the temperature over here is always changing... it was below 0 the other day and next week its gonna reach the mid 50's...

Well yea, but I mean on average. It's normal for the weather to vary like that, but the average temperature has only changed a degree in a long, LONG time.

But yes. I shall better skoot, or else I'll be involved in a fight again. (Not with you Melanie)

I don't really find that unusual at all. The weather in Missouri is infamous for being unpredictable. This whole past week it has been 7-17 degrees each day and tomorrow if is supposed to be in the 60s. This has been happening here for as long as I can remember.

Global Warming is natural and happened long before we got the warnings and whatnot, so it is technically good for plants, but what they're worried about is it happening too quickly for the world itself to handle (hence the ice caps melting and so on)

I suppose I'm not as aware of many earth friendly items and whatnot as I could be, but I do try my best to keep the environment here clean and all that jazz.

I have those light bulbs in my house that is supposed to be environment friendly, I don't litter, I turn off lights whenever I leave a room, I try not to waste food, and I recycle.

I should look into this more..