Happy 25th Birthday THRILLER (Michael Jackson) !!!

Yoppappop

The best album of all time is being released as a special edition on february 11th with remixes, bonus tracks, etc. released both CD and vinyl format... for the fans ! :thumb_yello: Thriller 25

thought it would be worth celebrating this piece of history...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yop - despite some of his questionable traits, Michael Jackson is an unquestionable talent. I love early Michael Jackson (Motown, Jackson 5, his voice as a youngster). I'm saddened by his current state and waste of talent.

So I wondered why you don't enjoy Mika covering "I Want You Back"? Is it because no one can do it like Michael? Or do you just not like that song?

This song by Michael as a young boy reminds me a lot of what Mika (another Michael) might have been going through as a young boy who had a mini - breakdown and sought music as his refuge....

Ok, so it's a little sappy... :naughty:

Yop - despite some of his questionable traits, Michael Jackson is an unquestionable talent. I love early Michael Jackson (Motown, Jackson 5, his voice as a youngster). I'm saddened by his current state and waste of talent.

So I wondered why you don't enjoy Mika covering "I Want You Back"? Is it because no one can do it like Michael? Or do you just not like that song?

oh, i'm sincerly sad too :no:

i don't enjoy mika's cover simply cause... erm... i think he kinda butchered it :blush-anim-cl: i absoloutely adore that song... and as i often say, i have some songs (quite a long list actually, cause i usually don't like covers, but THIS LIST is imperative) that people simply don't have THE RIGHT to cover :blush-anim-cl: and unluckily, I Want You Back is one of them, as is for exemple Bohemian Rhapsody... Or Highway to Hell... and a lot lot more...

it has a quite "acceptable" explaination : i think that if you do a cover, either you bring something to the song that makes it DIFFERENT from the original, which means basically you have talent and can CREATE something... in this case, i might like the cover or not, but i won't be mean... the other case is when you do BETTER than the original... which obviously quite never happens with my "LIST SONGS" :naughty:

concrete exemple :

I Want You Back by Mika : awful (still in my one and only opinion)

Missionary Man : awesome ; he brought something to the song the intro, the rythm, etc. i didn't know the song before, BUT checked the original version, and mika's one is better (still in my opinion, which hard Eurythmics fans could not agree, and that's normal)...

list of NO ONE ELSE CAN SING THIS SONG SONGS :

- all michael jackson :mf_rosetinted:

- bohemian rhapsody

- highway to hell

- all walt disney classics songs (in french, i didn't see the english versions of them)

- and such a lot lot more :naughty:

so yes, it's a question of taste :wink2: but i'm open, if someone covers one of the "no-no" songs, i might give a listen to it, and might like it !!! even if not as much as the original. but this one (i want you back by mika) was sincerly painful to my ears...

- bohemian rhapsody

- highway to hell

- all walt disney classics songs (in french, i didn't see the english versions of them)

Oh yes, I understand now what you mean...

Perhaps Mika should attempt to cover some Beatles songs - I was telling Christine the other day that "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" would suit him very well.

oh, i'm sincerly sad too :no:

i don't enjoy mika's cover simply cause... erm... i think he kinda butchered it :blush-anim-cl: i absoloutely adore that song... and as i often say, i have some songs (quite a long list actually, cause i usually don't like covers, but THIS LIST is imperative) that people simply don't have THE RIGHT to cover :blush-anim-cl: and unluckily, I Want You Back is one of them, as is for exemple Bohemian Rhapsody... Or Highway to Hell... and a lot lot more...

it has a quite "acceptable" explaination : i think that if you do a cover, either you bring something to the song that makes it DIFFERENT from the original, which means basically you have talent and can CREATE something... in this case, i might like the cover or not, but i won't be mean... the other case is when you do BETTER than the original... which obviously quite never happens with my "LIST SONGS" :naughty:

concrete exemple :

I Want You Back by Mika : awful (still in my one and only opinion)

Missionary Man : awesome ; he brought something to the song the intro, the rythm, etc. i didn't know the song before, BUT checked the original version, and mika's one is better (still in my opinion, which hard Eurythmics fans could not agree, and that's normal)...

- all michael jackson

- bohemian rhapsody

- highway to hell

so yes, it's a question of taste :wink2: but i'm open, if someone covers one of the "no-no" songs, i might give a listen to it, and might like it !!! even if not as much as the original. but this one (i want you back by mika) was sincerly painful to my ears...

French Hakuna Motatta (sp?) = Love! :wub2:

just bohemian rhapsody? So you haven't heard a certain Declan's (not sure if this boy is a borg)
:naughty: Makes me wanna ruuuunnnnn! And :puke:

and i'm CERTAIN i' don't wanna hear it :naughty: :naughty: though the "r&b version of it was "listenable"... until i heard the REAL ONE (realize i heard the cover BEFORE the original ?! :blink: )

Oh yes, I understand now what you mean...

Perhaps Mika should attempt to cover some Beatles songs - I was telling Christine the other day that "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" would suit him very well.

and you know what ? i think that mika's songs are gonna enter my list of "no-no" cause i'm not sure one can cover him without making nonsense and butcher his songs :naughty: ...

another point : do you realize that THRILLER (THE album of all times and all records) was made in 2 months ? :blink: genius... :tears: yes... today is "special thriller/michael jackson day" on a musical channel i watch :naughty:

and you know what ? i think that mika's songs are gonna enter my list of "no-no" cause i'm not sure one can cover him without making nonsense and butcher his songs :naughty: ...

another point : do you realize that THRILLER (THE album of all times and all records) was made in 2 months ? :blink: genius... :tears: yes... today is "special thriller/michael jackson day" on a musical channel i watch :naughty:

I was 11 years old when the Thriller video came out. I was scared of it. :shocked:

I was 11 years old when the Thriller video came out. I was scared of it.

i wasn't born :roftl: :roftl: but i caught up with being late :mf_rosetinted: i think MJ is the only person i can call me a fan of... yes, the only one. and one of my regrets if i have some will be that i've never been to one of his montruous shows where you see his sweat splashing when he moves his head and so on :blush-anim-cl: the dance moves, the lights, the musicians, the dancers, EVERYTHING.

don't blame me for that, but mika's just a kid :mf_rosetinted: and that's NORMAL; MJ was the alien :wub2: ...

i'd say michael jackson is a pure genius musically talking... once again, i'm really sad with all the buzz happening around him since a few years, true or false... honestly, i doubt people are really interested about these stories about children are true or false, they're just interested because it's michael jackson (which doesn't mean it's not bad if he did it !!)... but they helped destroying him... but he had quite started with auto-destruction... sad sad...

- bohemian rhapsody

- highway to hell

There are a lot of songs that are perfect as they are and no additional interpretation can ever be given to them - especially if they are really personal.. Bohemian Rhapsody is definitely one of them and so are some Michael Jackson songs (e.g. Thriller, Billie Jean, Don's Stop Till You get Enough, Rock with You), but not all of them.

I think all the Jackson 5 songs are fun to cover and an adult can add a different interpretation to them. I liked Mariah Carey's version of I'll be there, for example (at MTV Unplugged).

However, I must say I never liked Mika's version of 'I Want You Back'.. He must have enjoyed performig it ( jumping around and screaming at the top of his voice like a child), but I don't think the audience ever enjoyed it as much as he did... :cool: