REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS for MIKA in Seattle, WA at the Showbox SoDo: 14-02-2008

dcdeb

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People who liked the midway state, and want to send them a message for the official project we're doing please sign up! We need as many people as possible, because their managment was kind enough to invite us to meet the members personally to give them this gift!!!:mf_lustslow:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13131

AAAH, wonderful report, DaMango! I love the shirt you gave him--so glad John gave it to Mika. And I'm SO curious (and maybe I missed if you already posted this) how did your Mika conversation end in Vancouver???

I'm glad you liked my report! I just posted Part 2 in the Vancouver thread on this page:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1172041&posted=1#post1172041

Angel of light......:wub2: :wub2: l_225ccc514cb8e9befa107a46734ab280.jpg

l_16ee224be89f87cd5b2ba4a01c39c4bd.jpg

Hey Elanorelle, I tried tor reply to your PM but it said you didn't have enough space :(

Anyway, Yes my pic is from outside the SoDo, I had soooooo much fun that night and I must say I am very impressed not only with MIKA's talent, but how nice he was, coming out there to meet all of us even though he was sick.

Of course I remember you! (but I didn't know you were you lol) Your umbrella was so creative, I'm so glad you know MIKA got it!

interesting and insightful article!makes some points!

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080225/ENT/734191392

Mika's a phenomenon onstage and a hit abroad

By Andy Rathbun

Herald Columnist

Mika doesn't hide the fact he's looking for a little love and attention.

His songs are filled with oddly needy lyrics, as he asks, "Why don't you like me?" and urges his audience to "love, love me."

The singer has been winning people over without much U.S. radio support. He played a sold-out show in Seattle at the Showbox SoDo on Valentine's Day, then went back to England, where on Wednesday he giddily accepted a Brit Award -- a bit like a Grammy -- for Breakthrough Act.

Clearly, England has embraced the singer, with more than 1 million copies of his debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion," sold there. But the U.S. seems ready to shove him off onto a cult audience, which would be a mistake.

Why? Because he is one of the strongest young live performers out there.

Now 24, Mika settled in London at age 9, the son of a Lebanese mother and an American father. Born Michael Holbrook Penniman, he attended London's Royal College of Music. He had been bullied as a child and still felt uncomfortable in his environment, he told Rolling Stone.

"By day, I was surrounded by snobs who thought that classical music was the only real music -- if it wasn't written down, it didn't exist," he said. "Then at night I'd go to some indie show where everyone was just as big of a snob. Except they believed everything had to be jangly and grungy and British. I was a mutt -- rejected by both worlds."

His first album feels a bit like the work of a mutt hungry for attention. It's a tail-wagging mash-up of influences including Freddie Mercury and 1970s disco. Some of it wears thin after repeat listening, but it is not, as one early critic sniffed, of "virtually zero worth."

Rather, it serves as a soundtrack for his live show; almost every song on the album benefits from his charismatic stage performance. Yes, his songs could be stronger, and on future albums, maybe they will be. But his show -- the fizzy mix of Broadway and Vegas he brought to Seattle 11 days ago -- already is hard to top.

At the Showbox, a huge skeleton puppet walked across stage as Mika twirled an umbrella. An angel burst from an oversized balloon. During a cover of the Eurythmics "Missionary Man," a scantily clad female with a huge feather headdress joined the singer. And plump dancing girls shook around for his song "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)."

As ridiculous as it was at times, it all hung together, because camp rules most of Mika's songs. "Billy Brown," a show-tune-styled track, is about a gay love affair, while "Love Today," featuring a girl that "licks her lips like they're something other," is a disco throwback, grounded in piano and guitar.

During the show, the singer gave a nod to the lack of support he's had from radio stations in the U.S., saying he felt lucky to perform live despite scant airplay. His highest charting song, "Grace Kelly," a smash overseas, reached a lowly 75 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The crowd didn't seem to care about his radio success -- or lack thereof. Thousands whooped as he staged a Stomp-style drum off on a garbage-can contraption. His minor hits spurred sing-alongs.

Everyone knew the words.

And everyone seemed to love, love him.

Columnist Andy Rathbun: 425-339-3455 or e-mail arathbun@heraldnet.com.

Listen here

To hear tracks from Mika, go to http://www.heraldnet.com/popsecrets today.

I miss you guys!!!! Lilmot !

Damango! Ritchie and I are going to Seattle to go to Elliot books in a month or so! would you like to go for Supper or something? maybe we all can go out Dancing with some more Seattle peeps! I miss all of you and I will send out your prezzies once I get paid

NOW..

would any like a poster of some mika shots I took?

Our work does poster size photos!

I would love to make one for any ofyou!

Pick one I have posted and i will send away to get them made!

love Suzanne...The Canadian who knows no borders!

I miss you guys!!!! Lilmot !

Damango! Ritchie and I are going to Seattle to go to Elliot books in a month or so! would you like to go for Supper or something? maybe we all can go out Dancing with some more Seattle peeps! I miss all of you and I will send out your prezzies once I get paid

NOW..

would any like a poster of some mika shots I took?

Our work does poster size photos!

I would love to make one for any ofyou!

Pick one I have posted and i will send away to get them made!

love Suzanne...The Canadian who knows no borders!

Hi Suzanne....let me know when you are coming to Seattle. I love Elliott Books...but I haven't been there in a long long time. I miss all of the MFCers we met too. It was so wonderful to finally meet so many people.

Are you serious about the poster? The ones I love the best are the angel of light pics. That, or the Purple Any Other World. Your pics were amazing. The Seattle concert was so special to me, even with some of the pushing, hot crowd. There are so many things that I can not stop thinking about. I love to look at the pics and the videos again. <sigh>

I think this is my favorite pic

Angel of light......:wub2: :wub2:

l_16ee224be89f87cd5b2ba4a01c39c4bd.jpg

:wub2: :wub2:

-lilmot

• 6 months later...

Published: Monday, February 25, 2008

Mika's a phenomenon onstage and a hit abroad

By Andy Rathbun

Herald Columnist

Mika doesn't hide the fact he's looking for a little love and attention.

His songs are filled with oddly needy lyrics, as he asks, "Why don't you like me?" and urges his audience to "love, love me."

The singer has been winning people over without much U.S. radio support. He played a sold-out show in Seattle at the Showbox SoDo on Valentine's Day, then went back to England, where on Wednesday he giddily accepted a Brit Award -- a bit like a Grammy -- for Breakthrough Act.

Clearly, England has embraced the singer, with more than 1 million copies of his debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion," sold there. But the U.S. seems ready to shove him off onto a cult audience, which would be a mistake.

Why? Because he is one of the strongest young live performers out there.

Now 24, Mika settled in London at age 9, the son of a Lebanese mother and an American father. Born Michael Holbrook Penniman, he attended London's Royal College of Music. He had been bullied as a child and still felt uncomfortable in his environment, he told Rolling Stone.

"By day, I was surrounded by snobs who thought that classical music was the only real music -- if it wasn't written down, it didn't exist," he said. "Then at night I'd go to some indie show where everyone was just as big of a snob. Except they believed everything had to be jangly and grungy and British. I was a mutt -- rejected by both worlds."

His first album feels a bit like the work of a mutt hungry for attention. It's a tail-wagging mash-up of influences including Freddie Mercury and 1970s disco. Some of it wears thin after repeat listening, but it is not, as one early critic sniffed, of "virtually zero worth."

Rather, it serves as a soundtrack for his live show; almost every song on the album benefits from his charismatic stage performance. Yes, his songs could be stronger, and on future albums, maybe they will be. But his show -- the fizzy mix of Broadway and Vegas he brought to Seattle 11 days ago -- already is hard to top.

At the Showbox, a huge skeleton puppet walked across stage as Mika twirled an umbrella. An angel burst from an oversized balloon. During a cover of the Eurythmics "Missionary Man," a scantily clad female with a huge feather headdress joined the singer. And plump dancing girls shook around for his song "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)."

As ridiculous as it was at times, it all hung together, because camp rules most of Mika's songs. "Billy Brown," a show-tune-styled track, is about a gay love affair, while "Love Today," featuring a girl that "licks her lips like they're something other," is a disco throwback, grounded in piano and guitar.

During the show, the singer gave a nod to the lack of support he's had from radio stations in the U.S., saying he felt lucky to perform live despite scant airplay. His highest charting song, "Grace Kelly," a smash overseas, reached a lowly 75 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The crowd didn't seem to care about his radio success -- or lack thereof. Thousands whooped as he staged a Stomp-style drum off on a garbage-can contraption. His minor hits spurred sing-alongs.

Everyone knew the words.

And everyone seemed to love, love him.

Columnist Andy Rathbun: 425-339-3455 or e-mail arathbun@heraldnet.com.

Listen here

To hear tracks from Mika, go to http://www.heraldnet.com/popsecrets today.

© 2008The Daily Herald Co., Everett, WA

• 4 months later...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

around now i just started to get in the line up! I was about #10 ( right) up in front! and wow I was getting so excited!!! and I love all of you guys!!!1

LIllmot! Damango! everyone!:wub2::wub2:

TODAY IS THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF MIKA IN SEATTLE! WOOOHOO

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

around now i just started to get in the line up! I was about #10 ( right) up in front! and wow I was getting so excited!!! and I love all of you guys!!!1

LIllmot! Damango! everyone!:wub2::wub2:

TODAY IS THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF MIKA IN SEATTLE! WOOOHOO

Suzanne!!! How are you? I haven't been very active on the MFC of late, but today I was reminiscing. Last year I had a HAWT date with Mika on Valentine's Day....one that I will never forget. :wub2: I wish he would ALWAYS come to Seattle on Valentine's Day. I would buy them all lots of sweet valentine's gifts if they would just play and sing for me. <sigh>

It was great to read through this thread again. I remember the sound of Andy's voice when he asked Rose to be his valentine. I remember meeting all the wonderful fans and how much fun we had making valentines in the queue. I remember texting and calling Deb. The beauty of Mika's voice live, how sweet he was after the concert. The way he pronounced "Seattle". How happy he seemed to be. How crazy/excited the fans were. Ahh, how happy I remember I was. <sigh> :blush-anim-cl:

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. :wub2:

Hi guys!!! Wow! I truly cannot believe it has been an entire YEAR since our Mikatastic Valentine's Day! The memories are still so vivid. It was an all around wonderful day, and meeting you guys made it really special. I missed my honey that day (he was working on his college admission essay) but I still had a very happy Valentine's Day, thanks to another tall, dark handsome man. :naughty:

My boyfriend did get a little "taste" of the excitement. Mika's mother gave me a Krispy Kream donut after the concert, and I wrapped up and brought it home to him. As my boyfriend ate the donut, I told him that Mika's mom was feeding him. :roftl:

Hi guys!!! Wow! I truly cannot believe it has been an entire YEAR since our Mikatastic Valentine's Day! The memories are still so vivid. It was an all around wonderful day, and meeting you guys made it really special. I missed my honey that day (he was working on his college admission essay) but I still had a very happy Valentine's Day, thanks to another tall, dark handsome man. :naughty:

My boyfriend did get a little "taste" of the excitement. Mika's mother gave me a Krispy Kream donut after the concert, and I wrapped up and brought it home to him. As my boyfriend ate the donut, I told him that Mika's mom was feeding him. :roftl:

Hey Rani,

How are you? Nice to see you post in here too! Yes, the memories are so close to my heart. I remember after we both spoke to Mika, how we walked part way across the street and then turned and just looked at him for awhile as if in a trance. Hope all is well with you.

-Molly

Hi Molly! Didn't we have a blast? I appreciate everything you did for me so very much! It's too bad we couldn't take proper photos with Mika, but I do like this shot you took. At least I'll remember how he looked while we were talking. :blush-anim-cl:

MikaSeattleMeeting.jpg

And here's what I came away with. The booklet now belongs to Laurel, but I still have the autographed disc.

LICMSigned.jpg