Being in "the biz" makes you jaded =P

Satya82

Hey all!

So this isn't about what you think it is (or maybe I shouldn't assume anything, lol) but I just had a slight rant/something I found odd that I wanted to share.

So my friend works in LA as a composer. Last night I talked to him for the first time in months, so of course I had to update him on the Mika happenings in my life, i.e. the Toronto concert, how my sister (who he's known since she was about 5) was a Lollipop Girl at the show, how amazing Mika is, etc. And you know what? He seemed totally unimpressed with everything! Now I know I live in a small town in Michigan (where he's from too--we went to school together) and now he's in LA recording with famous people and going to Grammy shows, but all he could say last night was "cool." And I mentioned the bracelets that my sister gave Mika and that he wore to almost every show including the Grammys and all I got was a "Cool. I went to the Grammys last year. It wasn't that great." But his boss won a Grammy, so he went.

Maybe my Mika experiences aren't THAT exciting in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still totally thrilled with everything, and I guess...haha, I dunno I expected more of a reaction. I even showed him the YouTube video of my sister and Vero doing the nifty little Lollipop Girl dance and all I got was a:

Him: "Cool."

Me: "So you saw her, right? She was on the right, in the pink dress."

Him: "Yeah, great."

Me: (Not thinking he's looking correctly. Perhaps he thought she was in the audience or something, just dancing to the song.) "She was ON STAGE, in the pink dress, blonde wig, you saw her??"

Him: "Yeah, cool."

Me: *pulls hair out* :bleh:

And then I mentioned how Mika was nice enough to meet me, and how amazing that was because he didn't have to, and he said "It is nice to meet someone you admire, isn't it?" I felt like he was patting me on the head and saying, "Yes, yes, calm down."

So FINALLY I mentioned how talented Mika is, how he writes all his own stuff, designs everything for the shows with his mom and sister, yada, yada and AT LEAST by this point he said something like, "That's rare these days, good for him."

I dunno, maybe I just have more extreme emotions than most people (ha, wait--I KNOW I do) but I'd just hope that if we were to switch positions and I worked in LA surrounded by famous people and music that I wouldn't act so...bored and unimpressed by it. When he first moved to LA, he was SOOO excited by everything. Now it's just "cool."

And on a slightly off-topic note, I hope being in the biz over time doesn't make Mika jaded. Even 10 years down the road, I hope when Mika hears us singing along to his songs that it makes him smile and laugh like it does now.

Thanks for reading. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all!

So this isn't about what you think it is (or maybe I shouldn't assume anything, lol) but I just had a slight rant/something I found odd that I wanted to share.

So my friend works in LA as a composer. Last night I talked to him for the first time in months, so of course I had to update him on the Mika happenings in my life, i.e. the Toronto concert, how my sister (who he's known since she was about 5) was a Lollipop Girl at the show, how amazing Mika is, etc. And you know what? He seemed totally unimpressed with everything! Now I know I live in a small town in Michigan (where he's from too--we went to school together) and now he's in LA recording with famous people and going to Grammy shows, but all he could say last night was "cool." And I mentioned the bracelets that my sister gave Mika and that he wore to almost every show including the Grammys and all I got was a "Cool. I went to the Grammys last year. It wasn't that great." But his boss won a Grammy, so he went.

Maybe my Mika experiences aren't THAT exciting in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still totally thrilled with everything, and I guess...haha, I dunno I expected more of a reaction. I even showed him the YouTube video of my sister and Vero doing the nifty little Lollipop Girl dance and all I got was a:

Him: "Cool."

Me: "So you saw her, right? She was on the right, in the pink dress."

Him: "Yeah, great."

Me: (Not thinking he's looking correctly. Perhaps he thought she was in the audience or something, just dancing to the song.) "She was ON STAGE, in the pink dress, blonde wig, you saw her??"

Him: "Yeah, cool."

Me: *pulls hair out* :bleh:

And then I mentioned how Mika was nice enough to meet me, and how amazing that was because he didn't have to, and he said "It is nice to meet someone you admire, isn't it?" I felt like he was patting me on the head and saying, "Yes, yes, calm down."

So FINALLY I mentioned how talented Mika is, how he writes all his own stuff, designs everything for the shows with his mom and sister, yada, yada and AT LEAST by this point he said something like, "That's rare these days, good for him."

I dunno, maybe I just have more extreme emotions than most people (ha, wait--I KNOW I do) but I'd just hope that if we were to switch positions and I worked in LA surrounded by famous people and music that I wouldn't act so...bored and unimpressed by it. When he first moved to LA, he was SOOO excited by everything. Now it's just "cool."

And on a slightly off-topic note, I hope being in the biz over time doesn't make Mika jaded. Even 10 years down the road, I hope when Mika hears us singing along to his songs that it makes him smile and laugh like it does now.

Thanks for reading. :thumb_yello:

Hi I have extreme emotions too one minute I'm laughing the next I'm crying! I totally understand what you are talking about. We just have to accept people's reactions sometimes. I always think what people who aren't big fans of Mika are missing out on!

It's not that he's in the biz, it's that he doesn't care about Mika. :roftl: Well, that and perhaps the fact that he does work with other artists everyday so they're just people to him, nothing to get excited about (in which case it's good he's jaded--he couldn't do his work if he were starstruck all the time!). But my cousin, who in no way works in the entertainment industry, relates to most Mika-related things as "that's nice," too--not because she's jaded but just because she really doesn't give a hoot about Mika. :naughty:

--Jack

It's not that he's in the biz, it's that he doesn't care about Mika. :roftl: Well, that and perhaps the fact that he does work with other artists everyday so they're just people to him, nothing to get excited about (in which case it's good he's jaded--he couldn't do his work if he were starstruck all the time!). But my cousin, who in no way works in the entertainment industry, relates to most Mika-related things as "that's nice," too--not because she's jaded but just because she really doesn't give a hoot about Mika. :naughty:

--Jack

Well, I suppose that's true to a point. My friend has been rather star-struck meeting famous actresses before, but only because he thought they were hot. :bleh: But generally he told me famous people feel awkward when fans go up and scream "I love you!" They'd rather have "normal" conversations, an be treated like "normal" people. But I could have a "normal" conversation with Mika, and I'd still be super excited that I saw him in concert and that my sister danced onstage with him. That doesn't happen every day. :wub2:

And I remember my friend used to get a lot more excited than he does now. I guess it's not as new for him, he's used to it, and used to working with really well-known people now. *sigh*

It shouldn't matter that the guy is in the music industry or whatever. I'm sure he could tell that you were psyched about MIKA, so he could've at least acted like he was interested. Nobody is always on the edge of their seat when conversing with friends, but what's the harm in playing the part when the other person is genuinely excited or happy? You know what I mean?

It shouldn't matter that the guy is in the music industry or whatever. I'm sure he could tell that you were psyched about MIKA, so he could've at least acted like he was interested. Nobody is always on the edge of their seat when conversing with friends, but what's the harm in playing the part when the other person is genuinely excited or happy? You know what I mean?

That's what I thought. *shrugs* Oh well...

Glad you all would understand my excitement, lol.