Self-taught pianists (or any instrument)

pica_mica

Hello! I know that there already is a thread quite similar to this, but this one is something different. This thread is for all you self-taught musicians like myself who cannot read a note of music. I made this thread to see how many more of you out there are like me and most importantly, like Mika!

You can talk about the instrument you taught yourself to play, what inspired you and when did you find out you had natural talent. (Its talent because not everyone can just learn to play an instrument all by themselves).

So I'll go first. I'm a self-taught pianist, and to be really honest, I have no idea what inspired me to start playing music because I've been playing the piano ever since I was about 6 or 7. Obviously at the beginning, I was pretty crappy. But once I turned 11, I mastered the piano. I could play any song I heard. I've been playing covers of songs until recently, when I decided to write my own music instead of playing covers. At first, I was embarrassed to say that I was a self-taught pianist, because people would laugh when I told them that I couldn't read a note of music. So I kept it a secret. But once I stumbled upon one tall, skinny, wacko, 24 year old (then 23) Lebanese/ American bloke who goes by the name Mica, that all changed. I was finally able to be proud of who I am. A self-taught pianist, who can't read music!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi! I'm just starting to try to teach myself to learn to play MIKA songs on the keyboard , but still have to figure out how to understand the music notes! :biggrin2: I love all his songs, and thought it would be fun to play them to myself!

It's not really the same, because I can read notes, but I learned to play guitar and even more the bass by myself. I can't read the key in which bassparts are written. But because I know how to play songs on guitar, I can play them on bass. I've been part of a band, as a first guitarist and singer, and wrote own songs. But it's years ago.

Beside the guitar and the bass, I play clarinet. I just love the sound of the clarinet:wub2: :wub2: , it's so variable. You can play anything you like on it, loud or quiet, high or low, fast or slowly... It offers more to me then the guitar