The JEFF BUCKLEY thread.

englishrose

Seeing this thread again made me happy :blush-anim-cl: *brushes off dust*

WHAT.

:jawdrop: Tell me more!

(Anyone heard of the '6 degrees of separation' theory?? This brings it to mind!)

I'd reccomend 'Buzzin' Fly' and 'Troubadour'. Those two are my favourites.

It's gorgeous...it made Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs of All Time...

:lol3:

I don't really know anything about it... She told me that, and I'm pretty sure its true. She said her dad was almost a drummer for him, but he ended up not doing it.

That's all I know!

I totally believe in the 6 degrees of separation theory! Maybe a little more than 6 degrees though, but it seems very true :P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol3:

I don't really know anything about it... She told me that, and I'm pretty sure its true. She said her dad was almost a drummer for him, but he ended up not doing it.

That's all I know!

I totally believe in the 6 degrees of separation theory! Maybe a little more than 6 degrees though, but it seems very true :P

Wowww. He's silly for not doing it. :naughty:

Yeah! I've never heard of anything to disprove it--I mean in this case it's only...*counts* 4...but I'm sure internet forums with people from all over help to cut out a few of the middle men :naughty:

Wowww. He's silly for not doing it. :naughty:

Yeah! I've never heard of anything to disprove it--I mean in this case it's only...*counts* 4...but I'm sure internet forums with people from all over help to cut out a few of the middle men :naughty:

:lol3: I know hahah.

That's crazy though, to think that we know everyone in the world (probably)

It's like a whole continous chain going on and oooonnnn

Anyways haha, whats UP!?

:lol3: I know hahah.

That's crazy though, to think that we know everyone in the world (probably)

It's like a whole continous chain going on and oooonnnn

Anyways haha, whats UP!?

Duude, totally. Everything is like, interconnected and rad. :naughty:

What's up...I'm on MFC for the first time in a week because my life is so insane...:boxed:

• 2 years later...

I feel like I should say something here.

I've known about Jeff Buckley for years, but he was always just 'one of the people who covered Hallelujah'. I became interested in him last year when I was sitting in the front row of Rufus Wainwright's concert in Helsinki. He made a joke about Jeff Buckley - the kind of joke that shows respect. Rufus said that he had waited for something to happen between him and Jeff, but it never did. (The joke part.) And he said that he couldn't save Jeff... And then he said that Memphis Skyline was about Jeff, and he played that. I had always loved that song, but I hadn't known it was about Jeff Buckley. It was a very emotional concert because Rufus's mother had just died, so it seemed natural that he remembered someone else, too.

Well, after that night Jeff Buckley became one of those artists that I wanted to check out properly 'some day soon'. That soon ended up being over a year. I finally decided to listen to his version of Hallelujah this summer... and after that it has been an emotional rollercoaster! I didn't just listen to Hallelujah countless times, but I also listened to the rest of his album, 'Grace', and every other song that has been released since then. Then I moved onto live videos and interviews. It has been weird to start checking out someone's music who is no longer with us... and to completely fall in love with that music and the person who I can never see or meet.

I have done this once before, in 2002 when I started listening to Elvis Presley's songs. I went completely mad. I bought every CD that had something I wanted to hear and I watched a lot of video material too. It's the same madness for me now with Jeff Buckley. I've been watching his interviews and thinking: "What a beautiful mind. This is one of those persons who I want to meet in Heaven when I die." Jeff's songs are the most poetic songs I've ever heard in my life. How many times did he predict his death on his album? His songs are ethereal and so down to earth at the same time. The interviews show that he was really intelligent and kind, too. Beautiful both outside and inside. His 4 octave voice was so pure and strong; he could even sing opera! He even spoke in interviews as if he was singing.

Sure he must have had faults like every human... But it aches my heart that someone who would have had so much more to give to the world was taken away so early. Jeff was an old soul. He was an angel even before he died.

The only other musician nowadays who comes close to Jeff's vulnerability and deepness in his songs is Mika. I'm so grateful that I can at least see Mika live.

Edited by Marianne84

• 4 months later...

The only other musician nowadays who comes close to Jeff's vulnerability and deepness in his songs is Mika. I'm so grateful that I can at least see Mika live.

. . . Oh, you are SO forgetting ONE other. And what a way to describe - I mean vulnerability and deepeness in his sings . . . aaaahhhhh :swoon: If Rufus displayed ANY more of those things - I don't think my heart could take it. :stretcher:

I just want to say THANKS Marianne for introducing me to Jeff! :fangurl: Rufus spoke of him at my concerts too - but, I paid Rufus no mind! :roftl: I am SO glad you recommended that I get the album Grace - when I went to the mall. I have been listening to it more and more. In fact just this morning, I listened to Hallelujah all the way into work ... over and over and over again. I was in one of those moods where that song was just perfect!! I still love Rufus' version more (nothing can compare to me) But, Jeff's is truly amazing! It could move me to tears - and that is a good thing!

I wonder what wonderful music we would have now if Jeff were still here! Just like Freddie - he had SO much more music in him. I hate thinking about it - because I honestly don't KNOW what I would do, if anything happened to Rufus.

Freddie gave me MIKA

MIKA gave me Rufus

and Marianne gave me Jeff!

:fangurl:

. . . Oh, you are SO forgetting ONE other. And what a way to describe - I mean vulnerability and deepeness in his sings . . . aaaahhhhh :swoon: If Rufus displayed ANY more of those things - I don't think my heart could take it. :stretcher:

I just want to say THANKS Marianne for introducing me to Jeff! :fangurl: Rufus spoke of him at my concerts too - but, I paid Rufus no mind! :roftl: I am SO glad you recommended that I get the album Grace - when I went to the mall. I have been listening to it more and more. In fact just this morning, I listened to Hallelujah all the way into work ... over and over and over again. I was in one of those moods where that song was just perfect!! I still love Rufus' version more (nothing can compare to me) But, Jeff's is truly amazing! It could move me to tears - and that is a good thing!

I wonder what wonderful music we would have now if Jeff were still here! Just like Freddie - he had SO much more music in him. I hate thinking about it - because I honestly don't KNOW what I would do, if anything happened to Rufus.

Freddie gave me MIKA

MIKA gave me Rufus

and Marianne gave me Jeff!

:fangurl:

Grace is such a fantastic album! :wub2:

I must say, I love Rufus' version of Hallellujah, as well as Leonard Cohen's, but Jeff's version is BY FAR my favourite! So emotional, gives me goosebumbs every single time I hear it! :blush-anim-cl:

Grace is such a fantastic album! :wub2:

I must say, I love Rufus' version of Hallellujah, as well as Leonard Cohen's, but Jeff's version is BY FAR my favourite! So emotional, gives me goosebumbs every single time I hear it! :blush-anim-cl:

Jeff's version is R E A L L Y starting to grow on me!!!! :wub2: I listen to it all of the time. I don't feel it is more emotional then Ru's BUT then again the version I listen to of Ru's is LIVE and from a show I was at. So maybe just maybe that has something to do with it!!! :teehee:

:das:

I STILL have not EVER heard the original! :no: Nope - n e v e r heard Leonard Cohen's . . . :blink::roftl:

Jeff's version is R E A L L Y starting to grow on me!!!! :wub2: I listen to it all of the time. I don't feel it is more emotional then Ru's BUT then again the version I listen to of Ru's is LIVE and from a show I was at. So maybe just maybe that has something to do with it!!! :teehee:

:das:

I STILL have not EVER heard the original! :no: Nope - n e v e r heard Leonard Cohen's . . . :blink::roftl:

Haha Maybe... :teehee:

I think Jeff's version is more..."painful" (does that make sense?) :aah: His voice, the pauses he makes, his breathing, all of that makes his version more emotional, IMHO. :wink2: But hey, I've never heard Rufus singing it live (yes, the bastard didn't sing it when I went to see him! :sneaky2::aah:)

Haha Maybe... :teehee:

I think Jeff's version is more..."painful" (does that make sense?) :aah: His voice, the pauses he makes, his breathing, all of that makes his version more emotional, IMHO. :wink2: But hey, I've never heard Rufus singing it live (yes, the bastard didn't sing it when I went to see him! :sneaky2::aah:)

Oh it makes a whole LOT of sense!!! :wub2: My boys LOVE Jeff's version! When we put it on and turn it up in the car - there is complete silence during the whole song! I can't beleive he did not sing it at your show! :sneaky2: Well, I thought I would never hear Poses live. Night after night he just skipped it altogether - and it was REALLY missed! Then f i n a l l y on the last night he sang it during the second encore! I CRIED LIKE A BABY the whole song!!!! :roftl:

Oh it makes a whole LOT of sense!!! :wub2: My boys LOVE Jeff's version! When we put it on and turn it up in the car - there is complete silence during the whole song! I can't beleive he did not sing it at your show! :sneaky2: Well, I thought I would never hear Poses live. Night after night he just skipped it altogether - and it was REALLY missed! Then f i n a l l y on the last night he sang it during the second encore! I CRIED LIKE A BABY the whole song!!!! :roftl:

I didn't cry at any moment of the show, but I was like this the whole time:

opa337.jpg

(and he DID sing Poses here! Yay! :mf_lustslow:)

I didn't cry at any moment of the show, but I was like this the whole time:

opa337.jpg

(and he DID sing Poses here! Yay! :mf_lustslow:)

I don't know HOW you did it!!! :roftl: I cried through half the second show and the entire third show!!! I think people were watching me more then they were watching Rufus! :naughty: They were like WHAT is w r o n g with this girl!? :boxed:

:floor:

• 2 weeks later...

W o W :shocked:

Okay, I HAVE to admit .... Jeff's version of Hallelujah IS without a doubt the BEST! :bow:

I always listen my my LIVE version of Rufus' from the show I was at in Miami Beach - and it IS b e a u t i f u l and very heartfelt waaayyyyy more then his recorded version. So, last night I listened to Ru's recorded version and I was like O M G - I can't beleive it - Jeff's R E A L L Y is so much more soulful and heartfelt and passionate and just aawww he totally takes his time with it - and you can FEEL every line so deeply. IMO Rufus just rushed through it. (not live though) So yeah. Jeff's is my FAVE now too, and I will continue listening to it all of the time! :fangurl:

Wow, Holly! I never thought I could enable someone to do something. Okay, I sometimes enable people to buy dolls they didn't know they needed. :naughty: But that rarely happens, really. Enabling is a common verb in the doll collecting community. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm seriously SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! :huglove: You've found a new love! That's amazing, isn't it? And better yet, your boys like Jeff's songs, too. How old are they, if you don't mind me asking?

By the way, Mika also gave me Rufus. :teehee: And in a way Rufus gave me Jeff... Or he gave me the urge to look him up myself. ;)

And you're right, Rufus is also very capable of bringing vulnerability and deepness into his songs. :) He did rush his version of Hallelujah, that's one of the reasons why I like Jeff's version better. I don't remember if I've ever even heard any live version of it by Rufus (he didn't play it when I saw him). Care to give me a link to one?

I've been listening to Jeff's Live at Siné today, second CD on the special edition CD box... He was such a funny man! :roftl::wub2: I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Live in Chicago DVD if you want to see Jeff at his best. :naughty::wub2:

Wow, Holly! I never thought I could enable someone to do something. Okay, I sometimes enable people to buy dolls they didn't know they needed. :naughty: But that rarely happens, really. Enabling is a common verb in the doll collecting community.

I'm seriously SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! You've found a new love! That's amazing, isn't it? And better yet, your boys like Jeff's songs, too. How old are they, if you don't mind me asking?

By the way, Mika also gave me Rufus. And in a way Rufus gave me Jeff... Or he gave me the urge to look him up myself. ;)

And you're right, Rufus is also very capable of bringing vulnerability and deepness into his songs. :) He did rush his version of Hallelujah, that's one of the reasons why I like Jeff's version better. I don't remember if I've ever even heard any live version of it by Rufus (he didn't play it when I saw him). Care to give me a link to one?

I've been listening to Jeff's Live at Siné today, second CD on the special edition CD box... He was such a funny man! I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Live in Chicago DVD if you want to see Jeff at his best. :naughty::wub2:

Hi Marianne!!! :bye:

(btw P L E A S E let me know as SOON as you get your Kick-Ass DVD!) :biggrin2:

Okay the thing IS: I like listening to Jeff a whole LOT. I do feel moved and inspired! BUT, I cannot get 'involved' (as WEIRD as that sounds, I KNOW you know what I mean) :freak: I have been through that with Freddie and it's FAR too painful. I am going to enjoy Jeff from a distance, so to speak. Nothing more then listening to Grace. No digging up info or watching vids. I can't get attached. Besides between MIKA and Rufus . . . I have JUST about ALL I can handle!!! :das:

My boys are 17 and 15. And their musical library is more vast then even mine. They literally LISTEN to e v e r y t h i n g. And know how to enjoy music on a level that it seems most kids these days (especially boys) haven't even got the slightest clue. When Austin was only 10 we went to see the Phantom of the Opera. He looked SO beautiful in his tux! :wub2: He was the ONLY child in the entire theatre - and he sat there in awe the whole time. Just an example of his awesome-ness! :das:

Rufus DID give you Jeff. It's such a beautiful thing! :wub2: Okay, I KNOW I have the MP of Hallelujah from my show - I will dig it up for you!!! It is BEAUTIFUL - I cried through the WHOLE song!!!!

Off to find it!!!!

Ooh, thanks! I would love to hear the version you love! :thumb_yello:

I will certainly let you know as soon as the Kick-Ass DVD arrives. :thumb_yello:

Thumbs up to your boys as well for having so wonderful taste in music. :thumb_yello:

You know what? They are just old enough to read my doll stories! :roftl: Yeeees, that's right! I'm so inspired by Jeff that my doll version of him has taken on a life of his own. :lmfao: And I'm getting new ideas daily. I'm currently writing the last bits of this week's episode to The Life and Tales of Elliot Crane. You can read it all here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moccasiini/collections/72157628191708333/ If you dare! That's how involved I am! :teehee::roftl: Elliot sings Jeff's songs all the time, and I even name some of the episodes after his songs. :naughty:

Ooh, thanks! I would love to hear the version you love! :thumb_yello:

I will certainly let you know as soon as the Kick-Ass DVD arrives. :thumb_yello:

Thumbs up to your boys as well for having so wonderful taste in music. :thumb_yello:

You know what? They are just old enough to read my doll stories! :roftl: Yeeees, that's right! I'm so inspired by Jeff that my doll version of him has taken on a life of his own. :lmfao: And I'm getting new ideas daily. I'm currently writing the last bits of this week's episode to The Life and Tales of Elliot Crane. You can read it all here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moccasiini/collections/72157628191708333/ If you dare! That's how involved I am! :teehee::roftl: Elliot sings Jeff's songs all the time, and I even name some of the episodes after his songs. :naughty:

W O W :shocked: W O W

W o W :shocked:

Okay, I HAVE to admit .... Jeff's version of Hallelujah IS without a doubt the BEST! :bow:

I always listen my my LIVE version of Rufus' from the show I was at in Miami Beach - and it IS b e a u t i f u l and very heartfelt waaayyyyy more then his recorded version. So, last night I listened to Ru's recorded version and I was like O M G - I can't beleive it - Jeff's R E A L L Y is so much more soulful and heartfelt and passionate and just aawww he totally takes his time with it - and you can FEEL every line so deeply. IMO Rufus just rushed through it. (not live though) So yeah. Jeff's is my FAVE now too, and I will continue listening to it all of the time! :fangurl:

My thoughts exactly! :wub2:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hell yeah! I love it! It's an old song actually. It's from the 16th century and the original writer is unknown. The first time I heard the studio version I almost thought it was a woman singing it. Jeff made pure magic of it! :wub2:

There's a live version on YouTube that melts my heart every time:

:wub2::crybaby::stretcher::harp:

Edited by Marianne84