"Lollipop" Lyrics

keti

Lollipop is weird that way. It sounds like a happy Summer song about lollipops:bleh: but it's saying loves gonna get you down...and not much songs say things like that really, well pop songs anyway.

I love how Mika makes songs that aren't what they seem! oh I really can't wait for the next album!:D(sorry, just had to say it)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lollipop is weird that way. It sounds like a happy Summer song about lollipops:bleh: but it's saying loves gonna get you down...and not much songs say things like that really, well pop songs anyway.

I love how Mika makes songs that aren't what they seem! oh I really can't wait for the next album!:D(sorry, just had to say it)

I completely agree with you :thumb_yello:

Oh don't worry,I can't wait for his next album too...but I guess we all have to be patient :wink2:

But I always though it was rot... :no::aah:

Ride your soul? :blink: Hmmmn...

It does say ride...

But it sounds like rot...

Curious, and agreeing at the time that rot was better in the context, I followed the link to the video, unable to hear the words as my speakers don't work. So watched the wolves and the little girl in silence, whilst considering the phrase "too much candy gonna ride your soul".

This seemed to push the interpretation of the wolves in a tougher direction, since it implies something that continues using, without destroying, the soul (indestructible as all our spirits are I trust).

And I couldn't help wondering about the girls I'd heard about in the UK, being groomed by pimps, innocently charmed and enticed by degrees into dreadful situations in new internal sex trafficking networks. How are things for them I wondered, is the realisation of this new trade in British schoolchildren being alleviated by the law.

I'd heard nothing new for weeks, so did a little research at once. Came up with this :

CROP Coalition for the Removal of Pimping

a voluntary organisation working to end the sexual exploitation of children and young people by pimps and traffickers.

Sexual Exploitation

As stated on the home page CROP is dedicated to combatting sexual exploitation in all its forms. In particular it looks at the role of pimps and traffickers (most commonly older men) in controlling and exploiting victims (usually young girls). Our research shows that there is a recognisable sequence of phases in grooming girls for exploitation.

Initial contact is often made in public places such as at school, in shopping malls, entertainment arcades, cinemas, bus or train stations, but may also be through the internet. Even if the initial contact is of her own age, the girl may be passed on to an older ‘friend’ who flatters her with gifts, attractive outings and extravagant promises. She is gradually inveigled into truanting from school, becoming secretive, returning home late and spending increasingly shorter times with her family as well as being introduced to alcohol and drugs.

In the second phase of grooming and exploitation, the friendly association turns into an exchange of favours. Sexual responses are sought as a means to pay back the money spent on cigarettes, drinks, drugs, lifts in cars and mobile phones. As exploitation increases so she is alienated from her family and other support systems such as friends and teachers. She may comply with the perpetrator’s demands out of fear for her own and her family’s safety.

In the third phase, the pimp completely controls the girl’s life. As far as possible he severs her relationships with her family and any other friends or support systems. Threats are made about her own and her family’s safety if she does not comply with the wishes of the pimp. It is very difficult for the girl to break out of this situation of control and dependence, especially as she may by then be addicted to drugs.

And the following quote is from 'Tackling Human Trafficking - Consultation for Proposals for a UK Action Plan'

CROP's parent support work brought to light the movement of young people from and across

towns and cities within the country for purposes of sexual exploitation by criminal perpetrators. It is important to recognise that means and methods used for purposes of grooming and trafficking by organised criminal pimping networks within the country are similar to those at the international level and that these activities at the domestic and international level equally serve to meet demands of the domestic sex markets. As one parent puts it, "We talk of international trafficking. We are not saying that we should not do anything about that. But look here, they are passing these children from gang to gang just like they are doing with girls brought from abroad. That's what is happening." CROP is concerned that internal trafficking of children, young people and women within the UK and other Western countries, operates through targeting and grooming and is accompanied by extreme abuse and violence; and yet is not regarded by society in the same way as international trafficking which evokes necessary public outrage. Girls targeted by criminal pimps are sent to different parts of the country which is why they go missing from home. CROP has become aware of gangs and individual pimps from Yorkshire sending girls to many towns and cities in the Yorkshire region and around the country where they know of demand - e.g. to Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and London. Developing a national overview and acknowledging the scale of the problem of trafficking at the domestic level would lead to the development of an action plan aimed at prevention and prosecution at all levels.

As it currently stands the law is failing to protect girls from this flourishing new form of an old trade, and really lets them down completely when their need is most acute, as you will see if you look into it further.

Yes indeed, the dark side of Mika's music does hit the spot.

Curious, and agreeing at the time that rot was better in the context, I followed the link to the video, unable to hear the words as my speakers don't work. So watched the wolves and the little girl in silence, whilst considering the phrase "too much candy gonna ride your soul".

This seemed to push the interpretation of the wolves in a tougher direction, since it implies something that continues using, without destroying, the soul (indestructible as all our spirits are I trust).

And I couldn't help wondering about the girls I'd heard about in the UK, being groomed by pimps, innocently charmed and enticed by degrees into dreadful situations in new internal sex trafficking networks. How are things for them I wondered, is the realisation of this new trade in British schoolchildren being alleviated by the law.

I'd heard nothing new for weeks, so did a little research at once. Came up with this :

a voluntary organisation working to end the sexual exploitation of children and young people by pimps and traffickers.

Sexual Exploitation

As stated on the home page CROP is dedicated to combatting sexual exploitation in all its forms. In particular it looks at the role of pimps and traffickers (most commonly older men) in controlling and exploiting victims (usually young girls). Our research shows that there is a recognisable sequence of phases in grooming girls for exploitation.

Initial contact is often made in public places such as at school, in shopping malls, entertainment arcades, cinemas, bus or train stations, but may also be through the internet. Even if the initial contact is of her own age, the girl may be passed on to an older ‘friend’ who flatters her with gifts, attractive outings and extravagant promises. She is gradually inveigled into truanting from school, becoming secretive, returning home late and spending increasingly shorter times with her family as well as being introduced to alcohol and drugs.

In the second phase of grooming and exploitation, the friendly association turns into an exchange of favours. Sexual responses are sought as a means to pay back the money spent on cigarettes, drinks, drugs, lifts in cars and mobile phones. As exploitation increases so she is alienated from her family and other support systems such as friends and teachers. She may comply with the perpetrator’s demands out of fear for her own and her family’s safety.

In the third phase, the pimp completely controls the girl’s life. As far as possible he severs her relationships with her family and any other friends or support systems. Threats are made about her own and her family’s safety if she does not comply with the wishes of the pimp. It is very difficult for the girl to break out of this situation of control and dependence, especially as she may by then be addicted to drugs.

And the following quote is from 'Tackling Human Trafficking - Consultation for Proposals for a UK Action Plan'

CROP's parent support work brought to light the movement of young people from and across

towns and cities within the country for purposes of sexual exploitation by criminal perpetrators. It is important to recognise that means and methods used for purposes of grooming and trafficking by organised criminal pimping networks within the country are similar to those at the international level and that these activities at the domestic and international level equally serve to meet demands of the domestic sex markets. As one parent puts it, "We talk of international trafficking. We are not saying that we should not do anything about that. But look here, they are passing these children from gang to gang just like they are doing with girls brought from abroad. That's what is happening." CROP is concerned that internal trafficking of children, young people and women within the UK and other Western countries, operates through targeting and grooming and is accompanied by extreme abuse and violence; and yet is not regarded by society in the same way as international trafficking which evokes necessary public outrage. Girls targeted by criminal pimps are sent to different parts of the country which is why they go missing from home. CROP has become aware of gangs and individual pimps from Yorkshire sending girls to many towns and cities in the Yorkshire region and around the country where they know of demand - e.g. to Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and London. Developing a national overview and acknowledging the scale of the problem of trafficking at the domestic level would lead to the development of an action plan aimed at prevention and prosecution at all levels.

As it currently stands the law is failing to protect girls from this flourishing new form of an old trade, and really lets them down completely when their need is most acute, as you will see if you look into it further.

That's a very interesting information,thanks for that!

Absolutely,dark subjects have a great influence on Mika's music.

I think don't think lollipop has a different meaning except maybe that lollipop refers to her innocence and that he wants her to keep her innocence, especially since he says in multiple interviews that the lollipop girl lives in the forest and that all the monkeys <<boys>> try to steal her lollipop <<innocence>>

and i have been wondering about the words in one section of the song...mama told me what i shoudl know too much candy gonna ROT your soul" i have always thought it was rot but in the music video it says RIDE instead and so do several lyric sites...but i still swear that he says rot

´

I didn't know that about lollipop girl :D. And I do think it sounds dirty even thogh it's not...

I went walking with my mama one day

When she warned me what people say

Live your life until love is found

'Cause love's gonna get you down

Hmmm I do, like you guys, think it's a warning. Love hurts... especially if you're a little lollipop loving girl. It's like most Mika lyrics.. seemingly CHEEEEEERFULL but in fact kinda dull.

Sexual Exploitation

Very interesting indeed... But I know he has said in several interviuws that the song is dedicated to his little sister, and the two interpretations don't really fit toghther, or do they? Can't he just tell if it's ride or rot... :P

Very interesting indeed... But I know he has said in several interviuws that the song is dedicated to his little sister, and the two interpretations don't really fit toghther, or do they? Can't he just tell if it's ride or rot... :P

I still think it's rot,but he may change the lyrics on concerts.For example,instead "she's a player and a downright bore" (like he sings on album),on gigs he sings "she's a player and a downright wh*re"...

so i've offically decided that whoever made the video was confused and it must have slipped by because it is a minor detail that could have easily been overlooked and i only noticed cause i have that video on my ipod and watch it all the time,

but at the same time i know that mika is the kind of artist that is highly involved in EVERY aspect of the music, i dont think he made the video, i dont know if his sisters did, they paint but this is annimation, i assume that an animation studio made it but if mika or his sisters did make it then they were clear on the lyrics...and if some studio made it wouldnt they have had copies of the lyrics everywhere...idk now im getting confused...but i refuse to believe the song actually says ride cause that dosen't make much sense and lets face it, it flat out sounds like rot....

MANY lyrics sites say the word is ride, (i was really upset at first cause i thought i was wrong....'how could i get a mika lyric wrong?!')

I still think it's rot,but he may change the lyrics on concerts.For example,instead "she's a player and a downright bore" (like he sings on album),on gigs he sings "she's a player and a downright wh*re"...

Haha, I havn't heard that... And is it dry or drunk in over my shoulder?

:D hangover hangover hangover

Yeah :roftl:

Well,in one part he says 'dry' and in the other 'drunk'...

<<Cold

and dry

Cold

and dry>> ...

...and in the other

<<Cold

Drunk

Tired

Lost>> ....

:tears:

our poor Mika!

Yeah :roftl:

Well,in one part he says 'dry' and in the other 'drunk'...

<<Cold

and dry

Cold

and dry>> ...

...and in the other

<<Cold

Drunk

Tired

Lost>> ....

our poor Mika!

yes, it sounds like a messy night...

a messy night:lmao: funny:roftl:

but yeah, poor Mika:tears:

I wonder where was he so he felt like that :boxed: if that song is about some of his personal experiences.

over my shoulder is such a beautiful song!

few days ago i listened to it, and just sang along with mika...and i had to close my eyes and just stop everything i was doing, because i had this...feeling, don't know, it was so weird, but it was so beautiful...so clean...i've never had this one with another song

few days ago i listened to it, and just sang along with mika...and i had to close my eyes and just stop everything i was doing, because i had this...feeling, don't know, it was so weird, but it was so beautiful...so clean...i've never had this one with another song

It's beautiful, isn't it?!:blush-anim-cl:

Your post almost made me cry :blush-anim-cl:

But yeah,you're totally right,it's same with me...

The song which always,but ALWAYS makes me cry (I dunno if I can just mention it here,I don't want moderators or Mika to be angry) is "I'm Falling".

Because it's kinda my story,I can identify with it.