How To Make The Perfect Paella Thread

FREDDIESDOUBLE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O h this is a funny thread :naughty:. I'm sorry but I can't really help, being a total undomestic(ated :bleh:) goddess, but I understand that you need a special paella pan, a special type of rice, and you cook it from "dry". Ie, you stick the rice in the pan after you fry the fish or whatever you put in there, with some oil, and then you keep adding stock slowly while it cooks......But that is as much as I know, and without having made it myself so I may be missing essential stuff :roftl:

O h this is a funny thread :naughty:. I'm sorry but I can't really help, being a total undomestic(ated :bleh:) goddess, but I understand that you need a special paella pan, a special type of rice, and you cook it from "dry". Ie, you stick the rice in the pan after you fry the fish or whatever you put in there, with some oil, and then you keep adding stock slowly while it cooks......But that is as much as I know, and without having made it myself so I may be missing essential stuff :roftl:

Sighhhhhhhhhh I had high hopes as well for you mrs

So I need special rice .. thats a starting point :thumb_yello:

Good grief, a game?! :roftl:.

Yes, I am quite sure that the type of rice is important. I think that the one NOT to use is the longgrain one, so it should be the fat short type if that makes sense...Probably similar to risotto or rice pudding rice.

The quality of the stock that you use is also important, and it can be fish stock or chicken stock depending on the paella that you are making. My brother also uses shellfish to get the stock , it gives it a lot of flavour.

Oh and you need saffron! Essential. And some veg, which I understand you add raw during the cooking, and of course the chicken and/or fish, and bits of calamari, which I think you pre-cook slightly before you add them to the mix.

Clear as a bell!:roftl:

Good grief, a game?! :roftl:.

Yes, I am quite sure that the type of rice is important. I think that the one NOT to use is the longgrain one, so it should be the fat short type if that makes sense...Probably similar to risotto or rice pudding rice.

The quality of the stock that you use is also important, and it can be fish stock or chicken stock depending on the paella that you are making. My brother also uses shellfish to get the stock , it gives it a lot of flavour.

Oh and you need saffron! Essential. And some veg, which I understand you add raw during the cooking, and of course the chicken and/or fish, and bits of calamari, which I think you pre-cook slightly before you add them to the mix.

Wow, you do know a thing or two!:naughty:

I love paella...should have thought about that in Madrid, isn't Spain the homeland of paellas?

Hi,

Not a pan, sort of a wok, and no special rice, but ull need some saffron ;)

I can get u a recipe...when do u need it??

Please don't tell him that it's a wok, cause he will try using an actual wok then :roftl::roftl:

It's a special pan, very large and flat (low)....a "paella pan" Clear as a bell like Sienna would say :naughty:.

All help needed please , Black Queen .... you promised :naughty:

Serious anyone with any idea please post

I need a paella pan I guess?

:beer:

Please, please, take pics and film it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Can´t wait what Asun has to say about this :naughty:

I can´t help. Paella is not my speciality :bleh:

Please, please, take pics and film it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Can´t wait what Asun has to say about this :naughty:

I can´t help. Paella is not my speciality :bleh:

Ill take pics of my disaster for sure :blush-anim-cl:

Ill buy the rice today ... at least Ill get something right

I may do an English Sunday lunch version with beef and yorkshire puddings and and ... sprouts :bleh:

Then again seafood I suppose , chicken even

Sorry for the delay, me pupil, teacher's here ready to go!!!:roftl::roftl: I'm trying to translate my own recipe, buf, hard task! :naughty:

First of all, you do need a special kind of rice, it's called "bomba" in Spanish, and it's small and rounded, take a peep: Arroz_bomba_calasparra.jpg

And no wok please!!!! You need a special kind of pan (which is called paella), flat and not deep (you can see them in the link willywonka posted).

OK, I've translated my own recipe, I hope you understand everything, you can't imagine how difficult it's been, since I had never explained how to cook a paella in English:naughty: If you need some more tips just ask! And plese, please, please, make a video of the procedure, and pics of the result:roftl:

Ingredients (for 4 people):

400 g. of Norway lobsters

200 g. of big prawns

200 g. of normal prawns

200 g. of mussels

250 g. of squid

1 big onion

4 pieces of garlic

1 riped tomato

500 g of Spanish rice (small, rounded grains)

10 spoons of olive oil

Salt

Spanish saffron

Boil the seafood in water with salt in order to make a broth.

Cut the onion and the garlic in small pieces.

Grind the saffron with some parsley and a bit of water.

In a paella pan pour the olive oil and put in the fire. Put the onion and the garlic and toss it in the oil until they’re light brown. Then pour the squid, once you’ve cut them in small pieces, and fry everything for 5 minutes. Then add the grated tomato. Stir for a few moments and add the rice. Stir everything and add the saffron with the parsley and the water. Then add the fish brod you've previosly made and let it boil. When it starts boiling, add the seafood and the salt. After the rice is cooked (not too smooth, but not too hard either), turn off the fire and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Thanks Darling .. awww star you are so I have no Safron .. Ill buy some .. so Question time :

Boil the seafood in water with salt in order to make a broth.

How long do you boil it for ? , seafood cooks mega quick , so do you boil until its all cooked?

The seafood is raw Im presuming

Cut the onion and the garlic in small pieces.

OK even I can do this :naughty:

Grind the saffron with some parsley and a bit of water.

Okkkk got no saffron Ill buy some

In a paella pan pour the olive oil and put in the fire. Put the onion and the garlic and toss it in the oil until they’re light brown. Then pour the squid, once you’ve cut them in small pieces, and fry everything for 5 minutes. Then add the grated tomato. Stir for a few moments and add the rice. Stir everything and add the saffron with the parsley and the water. Then add the fish brod you've previosly made and let it boil. When it starts boiling, add the seafood and the salt. After the rice is cooked (not too smooth, but not too hard either), turn off the fire and let it rest for 5 minutes

"Put in the fire" , Im guessing Ill put the pan thing on the heat .. ok got it

How long between adding the rice then and the fish broth? ... Does the rice not burn?

• 3 weeks later...