I only knew that people compared Mika with Scissor Sisters (and I have to admit that the first time I heard Mika I thought it were the Scissor Sisters :boxed:) But I like Mika more :wub2:

I've heard only about two songs from SS and I don't really like them, but yes, you could say that they remind of Mika. Actually, that Mika reminds of them.

But "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" really doesn't sound good in my ears :roftl:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard only about two songs from SS and I don't really like them, but yes, you could say that they remind of Mika. Actually, that Mika reminds of them.

But "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" really doesn't sound good in my ears :roftl:

I like IDFLD, but that's the only song I like of them, and Mika's waaaay better than scissor sisters!!

I like IDFLD, but that's the only song I like of them, and Mika's waaaay better than scissor sisters!!

Of course he is! :punk:

And I don't get that comparison to Rufus Wainwright. Erm, scusa, but Mika has NOTHING to do with Rufus or his music :blink: nothing even similar.

Of course he is! :punk:

And I don't get that comparison to Rufus Wainwright. Erm, scusa, but Mika has NOTHING to do with Rufus or his music :blink: nothing even similar.

na, you're right; I don't like all those comparisons :thumbdown:

Mika is unique! :wub2:

5 Facts about... MIKA

- Michael Holbrook Penniman was born 18th of August 1983. in Beirut, Lebanon. This 1.91m tall guy (they wrote "1.83m so I corrected it) is third from five children.

- He went to "Lycee Francais Charles de Gaulle" in Westminster and to The Royal College Of Music in London.

- He has wrote his first song ever "Angry" (which he describes as an awful piano instrumental) when he was only seven years old.

- Even though there are speculations about him being gay, Mika hides his sexuality really well. "I never talk about my sexuality. I just don't think it's necessery. People keep asking me about it and I can't see the point of it all."

- Band "Scissor Sisters" critisized him pretty roughly for stealing their sound in most of his songs on his debut album "Life In Cartoon Motion", and especially in the song "Grace Kelly".

Thank you very much for the tranlations Keti!! :flowers2:

Had never heard of SS critizing him..... so I made a little piece of research and found out an article about it on contactmusic: :blink:

27/03/2007

SCISSOR SISTERS SLAM MIKA

SCISSOR SISTERS have criticised British pop sensation MIKA for "stealing their sound". The GRACE KELLY hitmaker yesterday (26MAR07) branded the group's music "mediocre" - but the Scissor Sister's bassist BABYDADDY admits he can't understand the star's remarks, as the two make comparable tunes. He says, "I haven't spent much time listening to Mika as I see there's a similarity. "The last thing I want to hear is something that sounds a whole lot like us."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/scissor%20sisters%20slam%20mika_1026291

Had never heard of SS critizing him..... so I made a little piece of research and found out an article about it on contactmusic: :blink:

27/03/2007

SCISSOR SISTERS have criticised British pop sensation MIKA for "stealing their sound". The GRACE KELLY hitmaker yesterday (26MAR07) branded the group's music "mediocre" - but the Scissor Sister's bassist BABYDADDY admits he can't understand the star's remarks, as the two make comparable tunes. He says, "I haven't spent much time listening to Mika as I see there's a similarity. "The last thing I want to hear is something that sounds a whole lot like us."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/scissor%20sisters%20slam%20mika_1026291

:sneaky2: how can they say that! Mika's music is so different!

27/03/2007

You're welcome Mari! :wub2:

Celien's right! I certainly don't agree with that bassist's words! :thumbdown:

• 1 month later...

This is related to Mika in Serbia,so have to add that 1 (more) siger from group 'Positivan haos' or translated 'Positive Chaos' whos name is Milos

ef4297ed.jpg

th_b975c3ea.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XM6_3IeXk

(:wub2:)

said this to me:

'da da ... Mika je Savrsen !!! i ja ga Obozavam ! ( ali ne u sexaulnom smislu te reci ) =))))'

translation: 'yes yes...Mika is perfect !!! I adore him too !(but not in sexual sence of that word ) =))))'

and this:'ima super pozitivne pesme i jako interesantan glas !!!'

translation:'He has super positive songs and very interesting voice !!!'

:arf2:

This is related to Mika in Serbia,so have to add that 1 (more) siger from group 'Positivan haos' or translated 'Positive Chaos' whos name is Milos

ef4297ed.jpg

th_b975c3ea.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XM6_3IeXk

(:wub2:)

said this to me:

'da da ... Mika je Savrsen !!! i ja ga Obozavam ! ( ali ne u sexaulnom smislu te reci ) =))))'

translation: 'yes yes...Mika is perfect !!! I adore him too !(but not in sexual sence of that word ) =))))'

and this:'ima super pozitivne pesme i jako interesantan glas !!!'

translation:'He has super positive songs and very interesting voice !!!'

:arf2:

Yeah!! :punk: brilliant!

Thanks for posting!!:wub2:

• 2 months later...

WOW! this thread is really good! i really like it!:wub2:

although i don't understand a word from the articles,i love the pics used!!!:aah::aah:

looking forward to seeing the translations!!!!!!!

i hope you have a Mika very soon for there!!!!!!:thumb_yello:

kisses!

• 1 month later...
I didn't read all the thread cause I don't have much time now but it seems good.:wink2: I saw pics of magazines but I don't understand what is write on them

Haha,well I translated some of them, maybe that'll help :roftl:

Thanks for your reply :flowers2:

WOW! this thread is really good! i really like it!:wub2:

although i don't understand a word from the articles,i love the pics used!!!

looking forward to seeing the translations!!!!!!!

i hope you have a Mika very soon for there!!!!!!

kisses!

Hey Ceci!! Thank you so much! :huglove: I really hope so too!

Keti, what a nice thread!!

I'm veeery happy to see that he is present quite a lot in media!!!

Nice pics they use!!! :)

Hope he'll stop by some time in future ;) !!

Yeah, nice pics, although they often use quite the same pictures :aah:

I hope so too ;)

Okay, on my demand magazines OK! and Bravo published some info.

IMG-1.jpg

OK! magazine, August number

Translation:

Musical magician MIKA

Michael Holbrook Penniman,whom his fans know and love under the name Mika, was born 18. of August 1983. in Beirut, Lebanon. He grew up in a family with a brother and three sisters with whom he's very close today too. He is one of the biggest musical and voice attractions and is loved especially for his massive hits from his debut album: "Relax, Take It Easy","Love Today", "Grace Kelly".

The musician who currently lives and works in London started his carrier in a sweet way: inspired with Nirvana's song "Heart-shaped Box", young Mika wrote his first song,a piano instrumental called "Angry". The title of the song reminds of his turbulent childhood which he spent in Paris, for his family had to move to Europe from Lebanon due to war. He attended school in London, but he ended that part of his school education unregularly for being bullied. Being extremely talented for making music, he enrolled "Royal College Of Music" in London where he gratuated (this is a wrong fact) - and at the same time he worked on his first album. With singles such as "Relax" and "Grace kelly" Mika hit the 1st position in English Top-charts and made a huge success both with audience and critics. Those were the main qualities on his debut album "Life In Cartoon Motion".

Songs which talk about things that every person can identify with quickly became great hits in clubs. Mika won prominent awards such as World Music Award and BRIT Award.

His long awaited second album is supposed to appear in September, and Mika says that the songs will be inspired by his teenage years.

He's available on his MySpace page where he replies to his fans' questions. (this is a wrong information too, as far as I'm concerned).

I've found Mika's page on Radio B92 website

http://www.b92.fm/music/Mika+(Lebanon-born,+UK-based+pop+singer)/albums/

He's at No7 with "Blue Eyes" currently, but he was on 2nd position

http://www.b92.net/kultura_old/index.php?view=77&did=26080

This is his profile, with all LICM songs to listen to.

Total listeners: 12133.

You can listen to songs only if you're registered though.

http://www.b92.fm/music/Mika+(Lebanon-born,+UK-based+pop+singer)/profile/

You can find some Mika photos here

http://www.b92.fm/music/Mika+(Lebanon-born,+UK-based+pop+singer)/photos/

He's also charted as No3 Gay Icon :naughty:

http://www.b92.fm/listen/artist-tag/Gay+Icon.html