MIKA. Kid-tested, Parent-approved

Suzy

By Veronica Murtagh in Arts & Events on October 23, 2009 2:45 PM

http://chicagoist.com/2009/10/23/mika_kid-tested_parent-approved.php

Photo via Mika's MySpace pageTo say we were unprepared for the scene that awaited us at Tuesday night's Mika show at the Riviera Theatre doesn't even begin to describe our misconceptions about the London-based pop crooner and his fans. We arrived expecting glitz wrapped in gloss and left surprised that theme-park theater had made it out of the shadows of roller-coasters and onto one of Chicago's most revered stages.

Opera-trained and a graduate of the Royal College of Music, Mika pushes the boundaries of mainstream pop, putting serious musicianship to work alongside pop ideals. Flamboyance, style and mirth mark both Mika's 2007 debut, Life in Cartoon Motion and this year's, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, releases reminiscent of Elton John, Freddie Mercury and the history of pop's golden past. Mika's albums foreshadowed an evening of sophisticated eye candy, theatrics and piano-accompanied sing-alongs, but unfortunately he delivered a juvenile stage show, burying the style and substance of his music under a Disney-esque carnival of poorly executed musical theatre, tacky schtick and failed humor.

Perhaps some of the burden of the evening's disappointment is our own fault, blind to the reality of Mika's fanbase of overexcited, shrieking tweens. Lyrically sophisticated, Mika always seemed a musician best appreciated by our own demographic. For example, Billy Brown tells the tale of a married man engaged in a gay affair, hardly a G-rated theme. While we applauded his ability to bridge generations with his music, our hearts were heavy and went out to Mika, expected to pull off the impossible, conflicting dual role of kid-appropriate entertainer, and mature performer.

On the long cab ride home, we wondered what advice Freddie and Elton would give to the talented musician. Can the ideals and spirit of pop's past translate to today's musical landscape? Or are restraint and compromise all that would lie in pop's future beyond the Yellow Brick Road?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By Veronica Murtagh in Arts & Events on October 23, 2009 2:45 PM

http://chicagoist.com/2009/10/23/mika_kid-tested_parent-approved.php

Photo via Mika's MySpace pageTo say we were unprepared for the scene that awaited us at Tuesday night's Mika show at the Riviera Theatre doesn't even begin to describe our misconceptions about the London-based pop crooner and his fans. We arrived expecting glitz wrapped in gloss and left surprised that theme-park theater had made it out of the shadows of roller-coasters and onto one of Chicago's most revered stages.

Opera-trained and a graduate of the Royal College of Music, Mika pushes the boundaries of mainstream pop, putting serious musicianship to work alongside pop ideals. Flamboyance, style and mirth mark both Mika's 2007 debut, Life in Cartoon Motion and this year's, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, releases reminiscent of Elton John, Freddie Mercury and the history of pop's golden past. Mika's albums foreshadowed an evening of sophisticated eye candy, theatrics and piano-accompanied sing-alongs, but unfortunately he delivered a juvenile stage show, burying the style and substance of his music under a Disney-esque carnival of poorly executed musical theatre, tacky schtick and failed humor.

Perhaps some of the burden of the evening's disappointment is our own fault, blind to the reality of Mika's fanbase of overexcited, shrieking tweens. Lyrically sophisticated, Mika always seemed a musician best appreciated by our own demographic. For example, Billy Brown tells the tale of a married man engaged in a gay affair, hardly a G-rated theme. While we applauded his ability to bridge generations with his music, our hearts were heavy and went out to Mika, expected to pull off the impossible, conflicting dual role of kid-appropriate entertainer, and mature performer.

On the long cab ride home, we wondered what advice Freddie and Elton would give to the talented musician. Can the ideals and spirit of pop's past translate to today's musical landscape? Or are restraint and compromise all that would lie in pop's future beyond the Yellow Brick Road?

1) When the hell did that happen during his life? :blink:

2) :naughty:

Ummm....Excuse me, but I'm not a "shrieking tween". I'm a shrieking forty something!!! AND, furthermore, I see a fair amount of people my age at the concerts. I am SURE I'm not the only one who had to convince her teenager to go with her!

Ummm....Excuse me, but I'm not a "shrieking tween". I'm a shrieking forty something!!! AND, furthermore, I see a fair amount of people my age at the concerts. I am SURE I'm not the only one who had to convince her teenager to go with her!

That's why I was giggling, actually! :naughty:

"One of Chicago's most revered stages"? sorry, but it hasn't had that status for I'd estimate 30 to 40 years!

"piano-accompanied sing-alongs?" did they expect the audience to stand there quietly, arms at their sides, and sing along in perfect restrained harmony?

they need to buy a clue and keep this drivel to themselves!

Edited by leonita

+1!!! I am an olding but i kept a part of childhood , entousiasm, crazyness and i assume it!!:sneaky2:

this has really made me angry, I'm trying to compose a response on their website that is not too irate!

--------------------------

ok, I've posted something. So sad, that he gets no radio play, barely any press here, and then to get such a delusional, out-of-touch review....

thanks a lot for alerting us to it, Suzy, we should ALL post comments & set her straight!

----------------------

AND, send a Facebook message to the guy who wrote the first comment, he sounded so discouraged from attending any future concerts, I already did & invited him to join us here!

Edited by leonita

thanks Laurel, I don't want Mika to read that review & not know that the MFC posse has his back!

My worry was the comment by the first person ... I don't want some stupid reviewer to put people off who actually like his music ... cos' he puts on an amazing show and people should know that - if they buy a Mika ticket they're gonna have an amazing night :wub2:

the reviewer has posted a response to our comments, she still missed the point completely---------

is that really ALL she knew of Mika before going to the show? Just what videos are on Mikasounds? never saw a YouTube video of a live show, never saw the DVDs, never saw an interview? then I would say she had not done her homework!

Edited by leonita

the reviewer has posted a response to our comments, she still missed the point completely---------

is that really ALL she knew of Mika before going to the show? Just what videos are on Mikasounds? never saw a YouTube video of a live show, never saw the DVDs, never saw an interview? then I would say she had not done her homework!

I was going to reply, but have to calm down first and pick my words carefully:sneaky2:

Wow! What show did this person go to? It couldn't have been the same show I went too. I was in the front row of the balcony and everybody around me was dancing singing and truly enjoying themselves. Be they gay, straigh, young, old. He was simply amazing and captivating. My friend and I couldn't take our eyes off of him the entire show and did not want to leave when it ended. This was our first show but defanitely not our last.