Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy

superstar

WOW WOW WOW!

I officially have tickets to see him live on April 30th! I am so ridiculously excited! All of the videos of his live shows I have seen are absolutely amazing ... I am just floored by his talent.

Cannot wait! :biggrin2:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW WOW WOW!

I officially have tickets to see him live on April 30th! I am so ridiculously excited! All of the videos of his live shows I have seen are absolutely amazing ... I am just floored by his talent.

Cannot wait! :biggrin2:

I'm so jealous!!:sneaky2:

Laura and I were going to go to Atlanta to see him, but we have exams that week:crybaby:

Have a great time:huglove:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last week I heard that Owen was in town, for the taping of a radio show, and that free tickets were available. So I reserved one for myself and today was the day of the show. The theme of the show was "Weird Music Instruments". They had some sort of water pipe organ thing, instruments made out of what is essentially trash, a glass orchestra...and more. I went only because I knew Owen was going to be there. :lol3::teehee:

The show opened with the host and producers telling us some stuff. Blah blah, whatever. :naughty: Then when the show started Owen was the first guest to come out and play a song. After the first song, there was a short interview (OMG Owen has one of the best laughs I've ever heard! :aah:). Then some of the other guests played their instruments (I won't tell you guys about that, because I don't think you care) and all of them were so good! In between Owen played more songs (it seemed like so many to me, but he played maybe four in total?)

Anywho...after the show ended I headed for the door. But I made my way back in. The water pipe organ guy stayed around and let people try it out. I looked around for a bit. Owen's "stage" was in the corner, and he was clearing his stuff away. So I went back to the seats, hesitant to ask to take a photo with him. But I thought to myself "he seemed really nice in the interview. What's the worst he could say? 'No'?" So I saw him sitting on the floor (shoes on :naughty:) and said "can I take a photo with you?" to which he happily obliged. I turned my camera on and he said "so do we get close and do this?" (:shocked::naughty:) We did. I think he thought either him or I was going to take the photo, which would have been really cool. But in the moment I just handed it off to someone else.

I didn't even tell him he was so good. Or that I like his music. Or how I was introduced to him. I just asked for the photo; I feel so stupid. :emot-sad:

Here's a photo I took:

102_8877.jpg

I decided not to describe the interview parts because the show will be aired on Saturday. I'll post a link when it's online.

So, that's my ramble. It's long but...you're lucky I didn't type more. :mf_rosetinted:

Last week I heard that Owen was in town, for the taping of a radio show, and that free tickets were available. So I reserved one for myself and today was the day of the show. The theme of the show was "Weird Music Instruments". They had some sort of water pipe organ thing, instruments made out of what is essentially trash, a glass orchestra...and more. I went only because I knew Owen was going to be there. :lol3::teehee:

The show opened with the host and producers telling us some stuff. Blah blah, whatever. :naughty: Then when the show started Owen was the first guest to come out and play a song. After the first song, there was a short interview (OMG Owen has one of the best laughs I've ever heard! :aah:). Then some of the other guests played their instruments (I won't tell you guys about that, because I don't think you care) and all of them were so good! In between Owen played more songs (it seemed like so many to me, but he played maybe four in total?)

Anywho...after the show ended I headed for the door. But I made my way back in. The water pipe organ guy stayed around and let people try it out. I looked around for a bit. Owen's "stage" was in the corner, and he was clearing his stuff away. So I went back to the seats, hesitant to ask to take a photo with him. But I thought to myself "he seemed really nice in the interview. What's the worst he could say? 'No'?" So I saw him sitting on the floor (shoes on :naughty:) and said "can I take a photo with you?" to which he happily obliged. I turned my camera on and he said "so do we get close and do this?" (:shocked::naughty:) We did. I think he thought either him or I was going to take the photo, which would have been really cool. But in the moment I just handed it off to someone else.

I didn't even tell him he was so good. Or that I like his music. Or how I was introduced to him. I just asked for the photo; I feel so stupid. :emot-sad:

Here's a photo I took:

102_8877.jpg

I decided not to describe the interview parts because the show will be aired on Saturday. I'll post a link when it's online.

So, that's my ramble. It's long but...you're lucky I didn't type more. :mf_rosetinted:

BWAH, I love it!

He definitely had the Mika laugh, love love. And, aren't you SO glad you asked for a picture??! He's just amazing. My god.

I need to write my report ... it was like 3 weeks ago and I haven't done it. :aah:

But, in short, I am completely jealous and in awe. Miss that man. He's da bestttt.

BWAH, I love it!

He definitely had the Mika laugh, love love. And, aren't you SO glad you asked for a picture??! He's just amazing. My god.

I need to write my report ... it was like 3 weeks ago and I haven't done it. :aah:

But, in short, I am completely jealous and in awe. Miss that man. He's da bestttt.

You should write up your report! Before you die, that is. :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

I am definitely glad. I was suprised that he was so nice. I mean he could have said, "I have to go soon" or "after I put everything away". I just feel bad I was awkward. I mean, I stood in front of him for a good minute before asking him for the photo (I felt like I was interrupting) a.k.a. weird...

He was really good. I am regretting not going to the concert he had here. Oh well, I can't do anything about that now.

In other news . . .

The show is up now! There are some pictures, links and...yeah, you can see for yourself. :naughty:http://www.cbc.ca/go/2010/05/this-saturday-owen-pallette-and-musical-instrument-madness.html ENJOY!

• 3 weeks later...

WHY IS HE WEARING A DRESS?

WHY DOES HE SO MUCH RESEMBLE A BABY LAMB?

closedeyes.jpg

So many mysteries in the universe.

Things I wouldn't mind doing to Owen Pallett list:

-Eat him up

-Fold him & put him in my pocket

-Talk about beavers with him

-Go camping with him

-Exploring Scotland with him

So that's part of the list, but there is more.

• 1 month later...

I am definitely the one and only carrier of conversation in this thread, but I don't care! If anyone else did care, I would want you to know that I've been learnin' some Owen on the piano.

I did "Your Light Is Spent" (violin + vocals), "E is for Estranged" (just the music), and now I'm working on "This Lamb Sells Condos."

It. Is. So. Hard. Like, it seems as if Owen has 3 hands, or the handspan of about 10 feet. But I'm determined. :aah:

• 1 month later...
WHY IS HE WEARING A DRESS?

WHY DOES HE SO MUCH RESEMBLE A BABY LAMB?

closedeyes.jpg

So many mysteries in the universe.

Things I wouldn't mind doing to Owen Pallett list:

-Eat him up

-Fold him & put him in my pocket

-Talk about beavers with him

-Go camping with him

-Exploring Scotland with him

So that's part of the list, but there is more.

WHY IS HE SO BEAUTIFUL?

And since I don't want to leave you alone in this thread, the two of us here can gush about him together.:wub2:

More things you and shall I want to do with Owen Pallett:

-eat cupcakes together

-go shopping for matching outfits

-pick four-leaf clovers in a big open field

-watch a marathon of Say Yes to the Dress on TLC

-cook a three course dinner and then eat by candlelight

obviously, this is only the beginning of said list.

ALSO, in reading through the whole three pages of this thread, you never shared your report. And I want to read it.:wink2:

• 6 months later...

BwahhhhhHHHHhhhh I love this man so much.

SXSW is in town and I have had the blessings of seeing him thrice times in the past two days. He has 7 total shows scheduled (how crazy is that?), but 3 of them are 21+, and one was too crowded. I supposed I shall settle for three. Here's a rundown of it. Ok not a rundown. I'm just going to vomit all of my memories out because i am sooooooooo pumped, still. Might as well skip this...

1st show -

So, Wednesday night my friend and I were seeing a show, and Owen tweeted mentioning his three gigs the next day. I only knew about one, so I looked it up that night and discovered the magic. Thursday afternoon my friend and I traipsed downtown to see a show (The Seedy Seeds) which happened to be about a block and a half away from where Owen was playing. My friend got dragged along like nobody's business.

The venue (actually the same venue that I saw him at last year) is REALLY cool. The stage is small, there's a "pit" area right in front of the stage, then a raised patio level to the side of the stage, and a bar area up higher than that. My friend and I watched the band before Owen from the patio area. And. He. Was. Up. There. I was super shy + awkward and didn't say anything but just watched him. SO GORGEOUS.

He went on stage, of course we were front row, leaning against it, and soundchecked. Last show it had been Owen and this little crazy rodent dude who did guitar/other instruments, but this was a solo show. He still had his cute little doughboy sound man!! SO CUTE! We watched him set up, my friend was definitely not as enthralled as I was.

He started the show with a rolling wave of sound, that he built into Lewis Takes Off His Shirt (if I'm remembering right) and went right into Scandal at the Parkade. At one point he asked for comments/suggestions, and the girls next to me asked for Song Song Song. He, in his diva way, was just like “nope.” He did about three more songs, then in the middle of Lewis Takes Action the violin cut out. Apparently it was some sort of computer malfunction. I was sad. I love that song. He played one more (I think it was The Great Elsewhere) and the violin quit working on that one, too. That was the end of the show. He said "thank you, thank you, if you're not here to see Diamond Rings, you're f*ggots." More on that later....

_____

2nd show -

Was not sure that this one was going to happen until about two hours before.

The show was at 1’oclock in the freakin’ morning, and god knows most folks’ parents don’t let them out that time of night. Especially in Austin, during SXSW, on 6th street, on St. Patrick’s Day. Luckily my friend and I worked something out and we met for coffee around 11, then walked over to the show.

This one was at Emo’s, which is one of the classic Austin venues that I had never been to. We had to pay $10 (ah well) and got in around midnight. We got pretty near the front (not at the stage, but the row behind) in time for le man. Owen soundchecked with his little man in tow, and my friend (who is gay) confirmed his hotness. It’s not just me.

So Owen started playing, started with the same two songs. After he finished Lewis Takes Off His Shirt, my friend turned to me and said “that was so good.” This kid is a total music snob, and it felt SOOO good to hear that. Anyways… he played Scandal (which I love), and the computer died again. While it rebooted he played an “acoustic” song from an earlier record, don’t remember which one… The computer was up and running and he got through all of Lewis Takes Action (yes!). He covered a song that I later looked up and found was called “Independence is No Solution” (oh my god, it is so good), and also a Simon Bookish cover. I know he also played the Great Elsewhere…excellent.

After the show my friend and I waited around for him. He talked to some three hipsters for what seemed like forever! Finally we got to speak with the man. He signed my copy of Has A Good Home. I told him that I was glad “Lewis Takes Action” had worked out this time, and he said yes, that the computer had been on the road for about 1,000 shows, and something was wrong with it. He said that he couldn’t dance, or it would jostle it and mess it up. My friend shook his hand and said “I hadn’t heard you before tonight, but that show was amazing.” YESSSS SCORE.

____

3rd show:

My friend, who I saw this man with last year, and I went with her cousins downtown around noon to check out his showcase. However, this turned out to be VERY popular and at a VERY small venue. We waited outside in a hundred person line for about half an hour, then gave up.

After we dropped of her cousins, we headed over to check out his set at the Pitchfork Offline showcase thing. There was a parking ordeal (the city is absolutely insane this time of year) but we got in and got to the stage for his set. All during the band before, my friend and I watched Owen standing behind the stage and dancing with the hugest smile on his face. uhhhhdorbz.

This man came onto stage and worked with Noah (soundy dough boy) to get the show up. HOWEVER, after a very long set up, Owen came on the mic and said that they had left some equipment at the last show, and that he wouldn’t be able to play. Wat. So my friend and I, distressed, drove away and bought ourselves some ice cream.

His tweets are texted to my phone, and while drowning our sorrows in animal byproduct, we discovered that the show was back on at a later time. We rushed back across town (in the most insane traffic you can imagine) and she dropped me off while she went to get parking. I ran up and got a spot right behind the front row, again. Things turned into a huge mess because I had left my phone in my friend’s car, and I had to borrow strangers’ phones to contact her. She had an engagement, and told me that she couldn’t make it to the show. So I was there alone … with a ton of hipsters.

Anyways, Owen played and it was all okay. I was stressin’ a little bit through the first few songs, then someone requested E is for Estranged. AND HE PLAYED IT. Most gorgeous thing EVER. I had to slip out of my spot and make another call (borrow another phone, haha) but when I returned he was playing that song. INDEPENDENCE IS NO SOLUTION. It was PERFECT. I had looked up the song the night before and woken up to it in the morning, and danced to it all day. And he was playing it. Absolutely perfect.

Oh, about the f*ggots thing…when he finished playing, he was like “thank you all so much! thanks Austin! don’t use the word f*ggots!” It was hilarious. I guess he read the angry tweets after all.

After the show I hung around a little bit. I wished that my friend had been there, because I had absolutely zero confidence without anyone else, and ALMOST didn’t talk to him. Almost. Just as everyone had pretty much cleared out, and he was packing up, I asked if he was planning on coming back to Austin this year. He said, not this year, but he was going to change things up and come back around 2012. Hella yes.

…and our last fleeting glimpse of Owen Pallett was last night. My friend and I were seeing Sharon Van Etten (who was phenomenal) at Central Presbyterian Church, and Owen’s doughy sound boy was there too. We followed him out and watched him as he walked down the street. Au revoir, Canadians, parting is such sweet sorrow.

So yes. This man is perfect in every way and I wouldn't change a thing. Wowwww. :naughty:

Oh wow thanks for the report Kira, fabulous :lmfao:

I was wondering what was going on as I saw some of his tweets and your tweets. I can't believe he had 7 shows :shocked:

Sounds like an amazing festival and your parents are so cool to let you experience it.

Oh wow thanks for the report Kira, fabulous :lmfao:

I was wondering what was going on as I saw some of his tweets and your tweets. I can't believe he had 7 shows :shocked:

Sounds like an amazing festival and your parents are so cool to let you experience it.

Haha, was that fangurly enough for you? I like to play it coool. :glasses3:

Speaking of tweets, he actually followed me on Twitter for a span of about 5 minutes on Friday night. I think he must have accidentally clicked my page, because he unfollowed pretty quick, but I have an email for posterity. And the knowledge that he reads my tweets (whether that be good or bad...) :boxed:

You should come down sometime! It is crazy insane... so many hipsters, so little space. Traffic has been an absolute nightmare; they totally block off like 3 streets downtown. But it has been a total party. Can't believe my parents have been so chill with 3am excursions, etc... but I'll take it! :aah:

Haha, was that fangurly enough for you? I like to play it coool. :glasses3:

Speaking of tweets, he actually followed me on Twitter for a span of about 5 minutes on Friday night. I think he must have accidentally clicked my page, because he unfollowed pretty quick, but I have an email for posterity. And the knowledge that he reads my tweets (whether that be good or bad...) :boxed:

You should come down sometime! It is crazy insane... so many hipsters, so little space. Traffic has been an absolute nightmare; they totally block off like 3 streets downtown. But it has been a total party. Can't believe my parents have been so chill with 3am excursions, etc... but I'll take it! :aah:

Oh I'm sure it's a good thing he reads your tweets! :teehee: Did you see when he accidentally tweeted his phone number about a year ago? :lmfao:

I think I had enough hipsters last week at the Indie Music Awards. :naughty:

I am coming to San Antonio in October though :fisch:

Oh I'm sure it's a good thing he reads your tweets! :teehee: Did you see when he accidentally tweeted his phone number about a year ago? :lmfao:

I think I had enough hipsters last week at the Indie Music Awards. :naughty:

I am coming to San Antonio in October though :fisch:

He did??? Send it to me. :roftl: But really. :mf_rosetinted: Now.

and WHATTT?TTT?!??!!!!? You have MSN right??!?~??!!!! We must converse. Christine. Woah. Woah. :yay:

BWAHAAA I am in this video!

At like 0:03, I'm the blonde that's standing behind/in between the two other blondes. I'm FAMOUS! :biggrin2:

And yeah, that fool danced like that the WHOLE SHOW. Even in E is for Estranged. Really, dude? Really? :blink:

Archived