Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy

superstar

No Owen Pallett thread? I'm surprised! Moddies please take care of this one if I missed it!

OWEN PALLETT -> FINAL FANTASY

pallett_latest.jpg

Michael James Owen Pallett (born September 7, 1979) is a composer, violinist, and singer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and winner of the inaugural Polaris Music Prize.

He is also known under the name Final Fantasy--a band that was essentially a solo project. Owen is to replace the name with his own in the 2010 release of 'Heartland'.

Having released two studio albums (Has A Good Home, He Poos Clouds), Owen is an independent musician, but also lends his talents to many other bands. Some artists he has collaborated with include: Grizzly Bear, Arcade Fire, Pet Shop Boys, Beirut, and yes that's right, Mika.

owen_a1.jpg

I'm sure many of us have heard about Owen through his collaboration with Mika--I know that's where I discovered him. His stuff is absolutely genius, and I know I'm not the only one looking forward to his new album Heartland, set to be released January 11th, 2009.

Let's discuss this brilliant guy! What's your favorite album/track?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about his music to be honest but he's playing the Mod Club (where I first saw Mika in March '07) in two weeks so I'm thinking of going (Suzy? Zoots? :fisch:)

Suzy and I actually saw him there one night because Patrick Wolf was performing and they seem to be very good friends.

Oh and one day I texted him because he inadvertently posted his phone number on Twitter via his telephone and I wanted to warn him. I think he thought it was a DM :roftl:

I don't know much about his music to be honest but he's playing the Mod Club (where I first saw Mika in March '07) in two weeks so I'm thinking of going (Suzy? Zoots? :fisch:)

Suzy and I actually saw him there one night because Patrick Wolf was performing and they seem to be very good friends.

Oh and one day I texted him because he inadvertently posted his phone number on Twitter via his telephone and I wanted to warn him. I think he thought it was a DM :roftl:

Lol, you should totally go! He played here early November but I never got around to going. Totally regret it now! I have watched some vids though and he is just SOOOO talented, he looks incredible live.

And that Twitter story is hilarious! Christine: still modding, even OFF the MFC.

It's already sold out. :blink:

Here's the scan of the article! Alice is right, I'm sad about the pic; we don't get to see his pretty face! :naughty:

Again, from Jan/Feb Spin magazine:

HighbrowHeroFINAL2.jpg

Also--here's a pic of Owen in the January Vogue, the same issue that Mika is in! Thanks Suzy:

owenpallett.jpg

Here's the scan of the article! Alice is right, I'm sad about the pic; we don't get to see his pretty face! :naughty:

HighbrowHeroFINAL2.jpg

Also--here's a pic of Owen in the January Vogue, the same issue that Mika is in! Thanks Suzy:

owenpallett.jpg

:ot:

I subscribed to SPIN when they did the MIKA bedroom piece:

l_66feceba432d4ad1a88148030807f26d.jpg

:ot:

I subscribed to SPIN when they did the MIKA bedroom piece:

l_66feceba432d4ad1a88148030807f26d.jpg

I am thinking of subscribing ... I've bought a few issues and in the Jan/Feb with Owen you can get 2 years for only 15$! I think that's a pretty good deal ... what do you think Alice?

And, yes, Owen ... I have his two CD's. My favorite track is probably 'Your Light Is Spent' from 'Has A Good Home.' Here's a great video of it:

http://www.blogotheque.net/Final-Fantasy,3470

I am thinking of subscribing ... I've bought a few issues and in the Jan/Feb with Owen you can get 2 years for only 15$! I think that's a pretty good deal ... what do you think Alice?

And, yes, Owen ... I have his two CD's. My favorite track is probably 'Your Light Is Spent' from 'Has A Good Home.' Here's a great video of it:

http://www.blogotheque.net/Final-Fantasy,3470

oh that's really nice! :wub2:

i love the way this clip was shot! :naughty:

oh that's really nice! :wub2:

i love the way this clip was shot! :naughty:

Same here! Here's the website with all the archives of the videos of artists... you'll probably recognize quite a few of them! I really want one on Mika :aah:

http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all〈=fr

It's in French (of course that won't be a problem for you Guy :naughty:) but if you click a link then you can get the page translated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Oh, how was the concert? How long did he play? I'm seeing him next month in a pretty small venue, it's gonna be awesome ! ^^

It was mind-blowingly amazing. First of all there were a few other musicians playing (Lightspeed Champion, then Sam Amadon and Nico Muhly, who were later joined by Beth Orton and Owen himself), then Owen was on for a couple of hours, I think. I got totally high on that concert :aah: Plus, I noticed Simon Bookish in the audience while a song of his was stuck in my head, which just added to the general braingasmic-ness of the evening :biggrin2:

Have a great time at the concert next month, Owen Pallett is just beyond awesome live IMO :thumb_yello:

HighbrowHeroFINAL2.jpg

owenpallett.jpg

I have this last picture on my wall! :wub2: I really love his music! Thank you for making a thread for him:naughty: Not many people know about him, but I've gotten a few of my friends to adore his music. :biggrin2:

Archived