Article / Interview in Q Magazine, November 2012

mellody

I think it's more a case of understanding British press than the English language. Even in early days the press was mocking Mika as some sort of love child of Freddie Mercury and Leo Sayer and they did not mean it as a compliment :aah: This whole article is some sort of backhanded compliment. It's like the writer is saying "Wow Mika is not quite the annoying one hit wonder we all thought he was."

Offtopic (sorry):

I recall a funny dialogue between a British journalist and David Bowie at the backstage of some Freddie Mercury Memorabile.

Bowie: - Oh, it`s you again Mike! Mr. Journalist! ( Nick, Jonh, Alex - doesn`t matter) And I see you`re wearing the same old jacket...

Journalist: It`s me. What should Freddie be remembered for?

Bowie: (:shocked:) What should Freddie be remembered for? Well... at least for the jacket better than yours.

:teehee:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that has always annoyed me.... He`s the only musician alive who`s compared to Freddie. He really should be proud of that fact, even now. Because this doesn`t disclaim Mika`s unique talent at all.

I think the true reason for that comparison was the same level of musical talent. Not the talent, but its level. If people don`t understand Mika is all-sufficient as a musician, they are stupid and blind.

Oh Marilyn.... I`ve really though my English is good enough to understand a British journalist:blush-anim-cl: This was my linguistic "block" . You made me fall from the skies:emot-sad::crybaby:

I'm sorry. I simply thought you just hadn't got it. Your English is great.

I think the reason Mika has distanced himself from the Freddie comparison, is because people used it as an opportunity to diss Mika. They never did that with anyone else. So he got sick of it.

There is a popstar, who I'm not going to say the name of, in case I'm completely wrong about this. But this person has never had anything good to say about Mika. This person actually doesn't ever mention Mika and didn't do so, even when Mika was on top of the world in 2007. This person was very close to FM, so I always wondered if this person was annoyed that this young upstart had the nerve to compare himself to the great Freddie.

I've always wished this person would acknowledge Mika, because I know Mika admires this person and its such a shame for him that this person seems to ignore him.

Anyway, my point is, maybe, saying Freddie is an influence, is good for Bieber and Gaga, but it has never done Mika any favours, so I don't blame him for distancing himself.

My sense was that Mika has never been particularly inspired by Freddie. :dunno: For whatever reason he chose to mention him in GK (the name of Grace Kelly is also random and he could have picked any movie star or any woman for that matter) and has been forced to deal with these comparisons which is the only reason he's ever talked about him at all. Of course he was always complimentary towards him and treated it as a compliment but I just always got the impression that his real inspirations were Michael Hutchence, Prince, Michael Jackson, Harry Nilsson and a bit of Bowie and he really didn't listen to much Queen or model himself after Freddie.

oh, I believe he was very much inspired by some of Freddie's songs. In fact, Instant Martyr or Loverboy were more than simply inspired by Freddie's songs..:naughty:

In terms of his style, he may have wanted to be more in the Prince or MH direction but that's just not how he turned out to be in the end. I guess it is more due to his education, culture as well as his orientation. There is more Freddie in him than he may be aware of, and by that I don't mean Freddie Mercury as a rock star, the flamboyant singer of the band Queen. I mean the shy introvert off stage, who loves art, classical music as well as pop, tries to integrate different forms of art into his works and collects antiquities. Most importantly, however, someone who lives for his profession and works till his last breath.

Well, that's what I used to think, not entirely sure anymore. I'll see what Mika will do next.

Edited by suzie

oh, I believe he was very much inspired by some of Freddie's songs. In fact, Instant Martyr or Loverboy were more than simply inspired by Freddie's songs..:naughty:

Oh yes!

And when I heard Grace Kelly for the 1st time in 2006 I thought of Killer Queen:wink2:

That`s how I became a mikafan, 6 years ago....

(was it my post#300? :dance_man:)

In terms of his style, he may have wanted to be more in the Prince or MH direction but that's just not how he turned out to be in the end. I guess it is more due to his education, culture as well as his orientation. There is more Freddie in him than he may be aware of, and by that I don't mean Freddie Mercury as a rock star, the flamboyant singer of the band Queen. I mean the shy introvert off stage, who loves art, classical music as well as pop, tries to integrate different forms of art into his works and collects antiquities. Most importantly, however, someone who lives for his profession and works till his last breath.

Well, that's what I used to think, not entirely sure anymore. I'll see what Mika will do next.

Yes that's true. As people they're very much alike. Both visual artists as well as musicians, both pianists, both amazing voices and both charismatic people who draw others.

You would think Mika would have been influenced, maybe at first, by Freddie. I think he probably was, in the beginning, without realising it. But still I think the disrespect, and abject hatred from some quarters, he recieved has put him off saying anything about Freddie now.

My sense was that Mika has never been particularly inspired by Freddie. :dunno: For whatever reason he chose to mention him in GK (the name of Grace Kelly is also random and he could have picked any movie star or any woman for that matter) and has been forced to deal with these comparisons which is the only reason he's ever talked about him at all.

Even coz Grace Kelly doesn't rhymme with Freddie...:mf_rosetinted:

I'm a big Prince-fan, so I like that Mika mentions him as a favorite. :thumb_yello:

As for Elton John, I wonder if Mika has been invited to one of Elton's famous celebrity parties yet? :mika3:

Of course not, they're so busy with the kid they never had any parties anymore...:mf_rosetinted: