Daily Mirror

frozenseas

FREDDIE MIKA-RY

CHART STAR GRABS QUEEN'S PIANO!

Eva Simpson & Caroline Hedley

HE'S been compared to Freddie Mercury - and now we can reveal that Mika has got his hands on the Queen frontman's treasured instrument.

The Beirut-born singer, who's topped the charts with his infectious single Grace Kelly, is so obsessed with Freddie he had his prized piano shipped in for a recording session.

Mika, 23, insisted on using it to lay down an acoustic version of Grace Kelly, which is being released exclusively on itunes.com next Monday.

A source close to the camp singer tells us: "Mika was adamant that if he was going to do a stripped-down, acoustic version of his song he wanted to get inspiration from Freddie.

"He heard there was a possibility of using the original instrument that Freddie wrote most of Queen's classics on and he said that he'd move mountains to get his hands on it."

The piano, which is valued at almost £1million, was brought into a London recording studio from the secure storage unit where it's held and Mika worked his magic. The source goes on: "He felt totally inspired. He felt the spirit of Freddie surround him and Mika said he felt more creative than he ever had."

Lebanese Mika, who's topped the charts on downloads alone, makes reference to Freddie in the lyrics of Grace Kelly and he recently admitted: "Some people like to compare me to Freddie Mercury and that's more than fine.

"He's a legend both technically and vocally. He's the biggest genius that there's ever been in the pop world." Mika's impressive voice has been likened to the deceased Queen frontman's falsetto style. It's been described as a hybrid mix of Freddie and the disco sound of the Scissor Sisters.

But the chiselled singer refuses to discuss his sexuality.

He said: "People ask me all the time but I just don't see the point.

"In order to survive I've kind of shut up different parts of my life, and that's one of them, especially this early in my career."

Mika, who suffered from severe dyslexia as a child, certainly mimics Freddie's flamboyant showmanship on stage.

He's hiring a marquee in London's exclusive Berkeley Square for a T-Mobile street gig to launch his hotly-anticipated album Life In Cartoon Motion on February 5.

And someone we may well see in the audience is Brian May.

The former Queen guitarist has written to Mika to tell him that he thinks he's "amazing" and hinting at potential future collaborations.

Mika, it looks like you're definitely Somebody To Love...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_headline=freddie-mika%2Dry%26method=full%26objectid=18521531%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"But the chiselled singer refuses to discuss his sexuality.

He said: "People ask me all the time but I just don't see the point.

"In order to survive I've kind of shut up different parts of my life, and that's one of them, especially this early in my career." "

hmmmm.... *rises eyebrow ala roger moore* curious but v. telling i think, not that its in anyway important to what he does musically.

Great article thanks