"Grace Kelly" Goes Hollywood

E! ONLINE

By Marc Malkin

Mar 26, 2007 4:06 PM

285.mika.032607.jpg

The magic of Mika hit Los Angeles last night.

I finally got to seeâ€â€and hearâ€â€the one-name British pop star Mika at the legendary Troubadour, and he's exactly what I imagined.

The mop-topped Mikaâ€â€most famous for his infectious "Grace Kelly" tuneâ€â€didn't stand still for a nanosecond during his 45-minute set. He jumped, wiggled, clapped his hands and shook his ass. At one point, he said, "I was terrified to play this gig tonight." If he truly was worried, he didn't show it.

His music is a cocktail of Elton John, Freddie Mercury and the Scissor Sisters, with plenty of Bee Gees-like high notes.

The crowd was quite a mix, too. Old, young, gay and straight. Unless I'm mistaken, I think I saw television icon Norman Lear.

But the best part for me? Just before Mika came onstage, Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" blared from the speakers. I'm a fan of anyone who kick-starts his show with a little Dolly.

---

CW

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'l have to watch E! News Weekend to see if they show anything or mention him. I think I can just about put up with Ryan Seacrest, if it means seeing Mika.