tell us a tidbit about your culture.

raha!

:roftl: when you say "poland" in france, many people think of the "polish plumber" , which is a metaphor for liberalism ... Some french people are afraid that your plumbers will come and invade us and take our jobs. It's so silly :thumbdown:

OMG the same here!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmmm..lemme think..well, i am from romania and not ashamed to admit it

-most people know one thing about my country, and that is of course that it is the birthplace of the legend of Dracula, but most of us are pretty upset that it was so blown out of proportion, so i won't go into that

-sports...we romanians are very proud of our sporting heroes, though few of them are from recent years...there is of cours nadia comaneci, the first gymnast to get a perfect 10.00 mark, gheorghe hagi, soccer legend(yes, soccer is a religion here too, if his team scores a goal, you can hear my dad from 3 blocks away), ilie nastase(nasty;))in tennis and many more

-food...people who have visited will tell you about a corn-based dish called 'mamaliga' and a sort of meat rolled up and wrapped up in either cabbage or grape vine leaves called 'sarmale'. they, along with all sorts of potato dishes make up the most of a peasant's diet here, but i don't really like 'em that much

-the natural layout of the country is stunning, with mountains and plains and hills and lakes and the beautiful danube delta

-the annoying thing is that an ugly little car called 'dacia' was imposed during the comunist era and though it's not as wide-spread as it used to be it still makes up like 70-80% of the total of cars

-this is where you'll find i think the greatest population of gypsies;it's funny that many poor not so qualified people go and work in spain and italy, and they've become like a separate social cathegory some call strawberry pickers:naughty: this must have freaked out a lot of western countries when we joined the EU, but don't worry, we come in peace:wink2:

;it's funny that many poor not so qualified people go and work in spain and italy, and they've become like a separate social cathegory some call strawberry pickers:naughty: this must have freaked out a lot of western countries when we joined the EU, but don't worry, we come in peace:wink2:

lol juley, you are funny! :roftl:

OMG the same here!

yeah, a lot of people are emigrating from romaina to the uk too and i've read some articles in british papers where people were really worried that they would flood the country and cause massive unemployment, which is why a lot of restrictments were imposed, but i don't think it's that bad really

This thread is the most interesting one that has been started for ages!

It's great to hear what the people from other countries have to say about their own cultures, rather than what you'd get in a guide book.

I'm from Wales, but I'm ashamed to admit that I can't speak Welsh, I can't sing, I'm not short and dark and I'm definitely not a miner!:naughty:

I live on the Welsh side of the border between England Wales and in a town that doesn't really know whether it's English or Welsh.

Wales has some of the most beautiful hills and coastline in the UK and the people are very friendly. It's a great place to live!

it is so interesting, learning about all those cross cultural issues.... Education at MFC, great; this afternoon I have seen another thread in here about learning Italian, this forum is getting quite sophisticated... Thanks to MIKA :wink2:

it is so interesting, learning about all those cross cultural issues.... Education at MFC, great; this afternoon I have seen another thread in here about learning Italian, this forum is getting quite sophisticated... Thanks to MIKA :wink2:

aw any time! ::wink2:

wow, it's incredibly fun to read about everyone's culture- and from your own mouths...so all frilly facts and wrong assumptions are put away, leaving the real, interesting stuff! :thumb_yello:

every single post is so interesting!

hahaha i have the biggest urge to spend the rest of the afternoon replying to all your posts :bleh:

now this is stuff we'd never have learned in geography class. :D

i'm from the north italy near switzerland,near lugano famous for a jazz festival"the estival jazz"...there come artists from all over the world...and there are a lot of people...it's amazing...where i live i eat very well:pizza,pasta,chocolate,coffee,cappucino(we say also"cappuccio")...

Well a bit of Swedish culture:

Once a year, sometime in June we dance like frogs in circles around a pole because the somme has come! :thumb_yello: haha

Wictor! Have you been on the apples again? :naughty:

Really, is it like the English may pole dance?

Wictor! Have you been on the apples again? :naughty:

Really, is it like the English may pole dance?

Indeed I have!! :thumb_yello::naughty:

I have no idea what the English may pole dance is.. but yes the pole we dance around is known as the may pole (majstång) haha

We sing this song as we dance like frogs if anyone wanted to know :D:

(This is in oldfashioned Swedish)

"Små grodorna, små grodorna,

är lustiga att se, X2

ej öron, ej öron,

ej svansa hava de, X2

kooooacka-ka koacka-ka,

koacka-ka-ka-kah" (dunno how that last part spells like but it's supposed to be a frog sound :D)

"[the] small frogs, [the] small frogs,

are funny to watch, X2

no ears, no ears,

no tails do they have, X2

*sound of frogs*"

:D

That sounds like fun, can you make a film of you doing this , this year and post it for us? :wink2:

Our pole has ribbons on and the girls and guys take an alternate ribbon each and dance round in and out? until all the ribbons are wound round the pole? Don't know what else happens actually. But no frogs allowed!

That sounds like fun, can you make a film of you doing this , this year and post it for us? :wink2:

Our pole has ribbons on and the girls and guys take an alternate ribbon each and dance round in and out? until all the ribbons are wound round the pole? Don't know what else happens actually. But no frogs allowed!

hahahha yeah you wish! hahaha :roftl: :

nah, we only cover it with grass and flowers kinda.. :bleh:

Well here are som pics at least haha:

29_Sma_Grodorna.jpg

this is the part of the dance/song "[The] small frogs", where they are singing that the frogs don't have any tails.. therefore they have their hand behind the back where the tails are supposed to be haha

Midsommar%202005%20030b.jpg

here is another pic of people just dancing around the pole, which you can see clearly in this pic :D

I live in Essex, England.

It's often known as the place filled with common people, chavs, particularly on the island I live on. The girls are stereotyped to be complete wh****, who wear white stiletto's accompanied with white handbags, underage teenage pregnancy etc.

And yeah, sometimes it does live up to that stereotype, but not everyone is like that.

I do not dress like a wh****, I've not had relationships, I don't start fights and I'm not particularly common.

However, Essex has talent. Dame Helen Mirren came from Leigh-On-Sea :D

The stereotypical old English Food has to be bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato) and the good ol' Fish and Chips.

We do not say "governor" as some people still believe!

i never knew what chavs were until coming to MFC, haha

my friend's cousin visited from UK. i tried a british accent on him but he said i sounded too..posh? whatever that means...:confused:

i've been wondering for a while : what is an emo ??? :boxed:

the current emo fad in america consists of: unhappy, brooding boys with tight jeans, eyeliner and punky tshirts. my school is speckled with them.

emo-ers are infamous for taking pictures in front of a mirror, looking off to the side (NEVER into the camera!) instead of setting it on auto-time.

it is also rare to see both eyes of an emo guy, as his sideswept hair is usually covering one of them. :)

i find some emo boys cute, too...don't know why though..:P

here are some "emo" hairstyles: (well, the third one is just there cause it's funny!) :roftl:

post-1187-142983653518_thumb.jpg

post-1187-142983653519_thumb.jpg

post-1187-14298365352_thumb.jpg

I live in Essex, England.

It's often known as the place filled with common people, chavs, particularly on the island I live on. The girls are stereotyped to be complete wh****, who wear white stiletto's accompanied with white handbags, underage teenage pregnancy etc.

And yeah, sometimes it does live up to that stereotype, but not everyone is like that.

I do not dress like a wh****, I've not had relationships, I don't start fights and I'm not particularly common.

However, Essex has talent. Dame Helen Mirren came from Leigh-On-Sea :D

The stereotypical old English Food has to be bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato) and the good ol' Fish and Chips.

We do not say "governor" as some people still believe!

Too right, lots of influential people come from Essex!

Jodie marsh (ok not a good example)Alf Ramsey Dick Turpin | Dudley Moore | Edgell Rickword | Ian Holm | Jack Straw | Jamie Oliver | Jilly Cooper | John Constable | John Fowles | John Ray | John Strutt - Lord Rayleigh | Joseph Lister | Maggie Smith | Noel Edmonds | Roger Penrose | Ronnie O'Sullivan | Sidney Bernstein | Sydney Smith |Liam from the prodigy

and of course Boadicea, the original Essex girl!

I'm bloody proud of where I live and it's actually very nice! cazgirl has the sea on her doorstep (and a nice bakers in the high street!).

Well, I'm from Naples, Italy, better in a great city near Naples, that ancient romans called Stabiae.

There're a lot of problem here. But there are also the Vesuvio, a sky with the same colour as the sea, a great red moon in the calm and silent nights...there is few work for people, but also a lot of optimism and melancholy sang with a lot of instruments (like guitar mandolin); there are a lot of friendly people, the best pizza and wonderful buffalo mozzarellas :bleh: .

I love my land. It's like a rare pearl blacked by few bad people and by sloppiness of the time. But its colour and its spirit flow in my veins like the 28 thermal water springs of my city :wub2:

Postcard_from_CdS_by_LoganX78.jpg