tell us a tidbit about your culture.

raha!

i'm deffo not the first to notice that MFC is full of wonderful people from all over the world! so many different countries, lifestyles, cultures...all coming together to share a common love....cool, isn't it? :punk:

so let's take advantage of this opportunity, i'd say, and say a bit about our own country/culture.

any random tidbits at all! it would be really interesting to hear. :]

ok so me first...

well, i'm living in canada but i'm of indian heritage.

a random tidbit about canadian culture? well, we say "ay" a lot. but we don't live in igloos or wear moccasins, contrary to popular belie, and we have the most gorgeous natural landscapes ever! AND we are bilingual. but canadian french apparently sounds really stupid to parisians :roftl:

and a random tidbit about the indian culture, too? well, we love to accessorize :bleh:, we are very colorful, have incredibly spicy yummy food...and apparently, our bollywood film industry makes the most movies worldwide. hm- never knew that myself.. :boxed: oh, and 99% of indian parents want their kids to become doctors or engineers. it's an unwritten fact! :roftl:

well there you go! you don't have to say as much as i did- that was a bit of a ramble, lol :blush-anim-cl:... but anything at all is always interesting.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well im from america. well i guess if you go back far enough im irish. but im more southern. i dont really have a much different culture than everyone around me. the most distinct thing is that im baptist. hahah.

but im southern.

:D

I'm from Québec, Canada... for those of you who don't know, in Canada we speak english and french... and Québec is the only province where the vast majority speaks french. I'm what we call here a "québécoise de souche", meaning that as far as I can go back in my family history, everbody's from Québec...

Mmmm what to say... yes we speak french but it's a completely different accent from France's french. Like British english and American english... Different accent, different expressions

In Québec we have a reputation of being a very diverse society, very warm, welcoming and tolerant. We loooooove to party and have fun. And like Raha said, nooo we don't live in igloos and teepees, no we don't wear mocassins and "ceinture fléchées" and no we don't have a moose or a beaver as a pet ! :roftl:

We have lots of maples here... that means maple syrup !!!! mmmmmmmmm so good !!! We have places called "cabanes à sucre" (rough translation: sugar house or sugar shack)... those are some kind of restaurants in the middle of the woods, they kinda look like farms, you sit on picnic tables and you eat traditional Québec food all coated with maple syrup, you drink a lot, party a lot (usually there's a dace floor and a dj), you go take a horse ride and you eat "tire sur la neige", which is very thick hot maple syrup that they pour on snow and then it solidifies and you pick it up with a popsicle stick and eat like a lollipop.... mmmmmm so good !!!

We also have a special Québec fast food dish that's called "poutine" : it's a french fries with chunks of cheese in a brown sauce.... MMMMMM so good !!!

To make a long story short, many people have said that Québec is a perfect mix of american and european culture !

I love on Long Island in NY and everyone here thinks they're the shizzle. I live in a town where girls get their nails done every week and 1st graders wear thongs and tight pants. It's disgusting! Uhh what else about Long Island? Well since I'm on the south shore so not every family is dripping with money but lotsa people pretend they are! Theres lotsa jews in my town.. but uhh I'm a crazy athiest so I've never actually been in a temple 'round here. =]

Don't worry, i'm not a stuck up snob like lotsa people who live here =p My family is kinda different cause we don't come from money whatsoever. We got our house cheap cause the yard was covered in dog crap and the roof leaked and the oven came with the house. (it was built in 1928). I guess I'm fortunate to live here since I'm on'y a 40 minute train ride from NYC (Where Mika's preformed!!)

Suburbs stink! I wanna live in a city.

I live in British Columbia, Canada (other side). Totally know what you mean about people thinking they are the shizzle. I don't live that far from Victoria or Vancouver but I DO live in a little beach town that thinks it the 'Laguna Beach' of BC. Its not. Everyone is pretencious. But thats okay because in Vancouver we have a GREAT music scene and Mika is spreading like wildfire from surpressed kid in White Rock (yes thats the city I live in) to other surpressed White Rock kid with any taste in music whatsoever.

Germany here - not soo very exciting I know :wink2:

but there is more about it than a horrible political history and the octoberfest. We do not all wear Lederhosen and down hectolitres of beer all the time :roftl:

We do have yummy foods besides Weisswurst and Sauerkraut, actually we eat lots of potatoes in all possible varieties :wink2: And we have really many italian restaurants which is great. Sometimes I think there are even more turkish takeaways where you can buy delicious doener kebap. In fact it is impossible to imagine germany withoth them nowadays :wink2:

We do have a beautiful diversity of landscape within our country with the sea in the north and high mountains in the south. Besides that there are several low mountain ranges in the middle.

Millions of German cows work hard to produce tons of milk and butter because those are subsidized by the state. (just to insert some useless information :o)

Our weather usually is neither bad nor really good. I'd say it is better than in the UK :roftl: but far worse than in the mediterranian areas of course. (although this april it is outrageously warm with maximum temperatures of 30° already)

We build the best cars and are said to be rather distant towards people we don't know, which might be partly true. But however much we tend to be reserved in the beginning, you can be sure that once we know people better, you often can rely on a deep and true friendship. There is this saying: "Americans are peach, Germans are coconut." and I agree on the last part. If you once deserved our friendship it is for life. :thumb_yello:

hiya me im from the uk parents are irish. i was born in a small seaside town in kent called margate.

have lived here in the uk all my life. apart from now, as in the summer i disappear from july to september mainly to morocco as thats where hubby is from. and so we do the 3 day drive from uk through france, spain and then cross over to morocco, fantastic.

Well, I live in a little country that you may have heard of, called the USA. Alot of us are really freakin dumb and we're being run by a psycho 1984 lookin dictator who bombs the hell out of anybody with darker skin than us.

Luckily, we have the Grand Canyon, and that's very pretty.

Also, we are the home of Mika's dad. :P

I live in Essex, England.

It's often known as the place filled with common people, chavs, particularly on the island I live on. The girls are stereotyped to be complete wh****, who wear white stiletto's accompanied with white handbags, underage teenage pregnancy etc.

And yeah, sometimes it does live up to that stereotype, but not everyone is like that.

I do not dress like a wh****, I've not had relationships, I don't start fights and I'm not particularly common.

However, Essex has talent. Dame Helen Mirren came from Leigh-On-Sea :D

The stereotypical old English Food has to be bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato) and the good ol' Fish and Chips.

We do not say "governor" as some people still believe!

But the other side of Essex Caz is the small villages, with village greens and half timbered old houses, some parts of Essex are lovely!

I live in Hertfordshire, which neighbours Essex, and is a short drive from London.

I lived in London for a long time, but I am originally from a smallish town in the North East of England.

I love this country lots and don't want to live anywhere else, but I do find other countries and cultures endlessly fascinating. Working in London, which is so multicultural , is a great experience, but recently I was made redundant, and I now work in a smallish office, with not so much vareity of the people kind - that's one reason I love this forum!

People thing the most popular dish in England is Roast Beef or Fish and Chips, but apparently it is Chicken Tikka Masala?

Well, I live in a little country that you may have heard of, called the USA. Alot of us are really freakin dumb and we're being run by a psycho 1984 lookin dictator who bombs the hell out of anybody with darker skin than us.

Luckily, we have the Grand Canyon, and that's very pretty.

Also, we are the home of Mika's dad. :P

:roftl: :roftl: you're very critical with your own country !! Well as far as Mr Bush is concerned i guess you're right :biggrin2: !!

There's a film which i really want to see called "jesus camp" ... in the preview you could see 10 years old children kissing the photo of Bush as the savior of the free land lol !!

well as for us french ... We are quite arrogant, we love fighting over politics and these days are quite important to us, since we're going to elect a new president. That's why there's a big buzz in here paris !! everybody's quite excited :naughty:

Don't you despise us too! :(:naughty:

:shocked: the last thing i would do is despise english people !! Three things why i love england :

- you're doing economically great ! We are jealous of your unemployment rate, even if we don't want to admit it :naughty: . You were able to make political and economical changes which we don't dare to make. Margaret Tatcher & Tony Blair were ( i think) good prime ministers because of that ! Even if blair made quite a few mistakes concerning foreign politics :boxed:

- you're the home of music !! pop but also rock !! the beatles weren't french, were they ? :biggrin2: There's a buzz in london, everyone is so trendy !

- you are welcoming ! i went to england twice, and the two times people were really friendly and nice to me. When i was lost there was always somebody to come over and to ask me if everything was okay.

i think the main problem between french and english people is jealousy !! lol we are jealous of your economical success and you are jealous of our way of life :roftl:

i'm deffo not the first to notice that MFC is full of wonderful people from all over the world! so many different countries, lifestyles, cultures...all coming together to share a common love....cool, isn't it? :punk:

so let's take advantage of this opportunity, i'd say, and say a bit about our own country/culture.

any random tidbits at all! it would be really interesting to hear. :]

ok so me first...

well, i'm living in canada but i'm of indian heritage.

a random tidbit about canadian culture? well, we say "ay" a lot. but we don't live in igloos or wear moccasins, contrary to popular belie, and we have the most gorgeous natural landscapes ever! AND we are bilingual. but canadian french apparently sounds really stupid to parisians :roftl:

and a random tidbit about the indian culture, too? well, we love to accessorize :bleh:, we are very colorful, have incredibly spicy yummy food...and apparently, our bollywood film industry makes the most movies worldwide. hm- never knew that myself.. :boxed: oh, and 99% of indian parents want their kids to become doctors or engineers. it's an unwritten fact! :roftl:

well there you go! you don't have to say as much as i did- that was a bit of a ramble, lol :blush-anim-cl:... but anything at all is always interesting.

He he he... I have an Indian friend doing medical studies with me, and her brother is an engineer... :lmao:

I live in Norfolf in England. Great Yarmouth is on the east coast. Um... England is filled with chavs goths and emos. The goths n Emos hate chavs and vise versa. Its stupid XD

The most popular sport in England is Football (soccer).

Cazgirl I know what you mean about bangers and mash. But.. we dont have it that often.. not often at all... infact I dread having it haha XD

Ill carry on when I have time LOL

ok...it's italy time!

we love our food, especially pasta and pizza and coffee:thumb_yello: .we always say that only in italy you can eat real pasta and pizza.:naughty:we also love other wine,which is awesome! we're completely crazy for soccer,especially now that won the world championship for 4th time!:punk: apparently in italy there's no other sport except soccer..:thumbdown:. we're very noisy: if you're italian and go in another country, be sure that you'll recognize other italians!we always scream,make noise and stuff like that.we're also really fault-finder with everything :thumbdown: but we've got beautiful landscapes and cities full of art!from north to south italy is amazing everywhere!:wink2:

ok...it's italy time!

we love our food, especially pasta and pizza and coffee:thumb_yello: .we always say that only in italy you can eat real pasta and pizza.:naughty:we also love other wine,which is awesome! we're completely crazy for soccer,especially now that won the world championship for 4th time! apparently in italy there's no other sport except soccer... we're very noisy: if you're italian and go in another country, be sure that you'll recognize other italians!we always scream,make noise and stuff like that.we're also really fault-finder with everything :thumbdown: but we've got beautiful landscapes and cities full of art!from north to south italy is amazing everywhere!

and you've got really hot guys too !! :mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow: :wub2:

emo people tend to have their side bangs in their face. and they wear skinny jeans.

they are very emotional. hence the name. so if someone does something rude they can get very depressed. and harm themselves.

i only know that because my school is filled with them. (i think theyre cute.)

:D