Mika's music a magical import

meimei88

thebatt.com - Texas

By Amber Holubec

Issue date: 4/30/07 Section: Aggielife

Just like the spiraling intro in his single "Love Today" music video, listeners are instantly hypnotized and captivated by the "doom da da di da di's" and power-pop melody that gives an extra spring to their step in pop newcomer Mika's new song, "Love Me."

This London-based sensation not only has a higher pitched voice than Justin Timberlake, but can also pull off a unique fashion style, looking as if he ravaged through one of Elton John's closets. Let's face it, not many of us can accomplish either of these - making him instantly intriguing.

Releasing his first album "Life in Cartoon Motion" in March, Mika is already getting a sweet taste of celebrity life, topping charts worldwide and reaching platinum status. His third single "Love Today" - debuting this week - is causing quite a commotion and was picked up by MTV for the network's video lineup. Coming out just in time for summer, "Love Today" is the perfect record to be spinning on a drive to the beach.

Mika doesn't hold back his five-octave vocal range talent in any of his songs, especially "Love Today." Cramming upbeat electronica beats, playful lyrics and insanely powerful harmonies in one song exhibits Mika's musical enthusiasm and originality. Expressing thoughts over one's sexual orientation, "Billy Brown" intertwines calming brass combinations and a fluid melody with comforting lyrics: "Brown...Oh Billy Brown/Don't let the stars get you down/Don't let the waves let you drown." Continuing with the ecstasy-filled ambiance Mika creates, "The Only Lonely Love" allows listeners to unwind and surprises them with quirky yet refreshing elements.

Though Mika dances slightly worse than Beck, as a musician he unmistakably belongs in the one-name-only category with the other epic artists. Anyone will fall in love with Mika's unusual but addictive pop musical identity, and all because he has something to say. In his own words, "It's easier to tell the truth in a song, plus people are less pissed off than if you were to say it to their face."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thebatt.com - Texas

By Amber Holubec

Issue date: 4/30/07 Section: Aggielife

Just like the spiraling intro in his single "Love Today" music video, listeners are instantly hypnotized and captivated by the "doom da da di da di's" and power-pop melody that gives an extra spring to their step in pop newcomer Mika's new song, "Love Me."

This London-based sensation not only has a higher pitched voice than Justin Timberlake, but can also pull off a unique fashion style, looking as if he ravaged through one of Elton John's closets. Let's face it, not many of us can accomplish either of these - making him instantly intriguing.

Releasing his first album "Life in Cartoon Motion" in March, Mika is already getting a sweet taste of celebrity life, topping charts worldwide and reaching platinum status. His third single "Love Today" - debuting this week - is causing quite a commotion and was picked up by MTV for the network's video lineup. Coming out just in time for summer, "Love Today" is the perfect record to be spinning on a drive to the beach.

Mika doesn't hold back his five-octave vocal range talent in any of his songs, especially "Love Today." Cramming upbeat electronica beats, playful lyrics and insanely powerful harmonies in one song exhibits Mika's musical enthusiasm and originality. Expressing thoughts over one's sexual orientation, "Billy Brown" intertwines calming brass combinations and a fluid melody with comforting lyrics: "Brown...Oh Billy Brown/Don't let the stars get you down/Don't let the waves let you drown." Continuing with the ecstasy-filled ambiance Mika creates, "The Only Lonely Love" allows listeners to unwind and surprises them with quirky yet refreshing elements.

Though Mika dances slightly worse than Beck, as a musician he unmistakably belongs in the one-name-only category with the other epic artists. Anyone will fall in love with Mika's unusual but addictive pop musical identity, and all because he has something to say. In his own words, "It's easier to tell the truth in a song, plus people are less pissed off than if you were to say it to their face."

And I thought it was just drummers that had trouble dancing (if Mark Radcliffe is to believed):roftl: :roftl:

I don't think Mikas dancing is too bad, can't say I seen Beck dance so I relly couldn't comment on that.

I like the rest of the review though.

i like this review! the only this is that mika is an AMAZING DANCER. i love when he dances, it just makes me happy. there's this one dance move he does in the Love Today video that i have to rewind and replay and rewind and replay a million times everytime i watch it! (which is a lot!)