Has Mika ever talked about the story behind Stuck in the Middle?

DaMango

It's good to know that his songs have such important meaning to him. This song instantly stood out to me, mainly because it sounded like a couple other songs I really like ("Strange Relationship" by Prince, and "Movin' Out" by Billy Joel). The harmonies were so infectious, I had to listen to it over and over. Then, when I actually stopped and thought about the lyrics, I realized that it wasn't the giddy musical joy ride it appeared to be...

are you a fellow billy joel fan? cause i love billy joel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh...now I'm really confused. I thought I had it before, but with all this vague talk and references to things that can't be discussed, my mind is running in circles and I'm thinking I'm either understanding what people here are implying or I'm disgustingly perverse. :blush-anim-cl:

Either way, I'm still not reading the lyrics to mean anything like that.

I find it strange, however, that if he went through all of that saying that he didn't want to talk about the meaning and then blatently said that he felt weird about his mom hearing him sing it...Didn't he sort of give some of it away?

Oh gosh...now I'm really confused. I thought I had it before, but with all this vague talk and references to things that can't be discussed, my mind is running in circles and I'm thinking I'm either understanding what people here are implying or I'm disgustingly perverse. :blush-anim-cl:

Either way, I'm still not reading the lyrics to mean anything like that.

i think the lyrics mean something, alot of his songs have meanings i dont think this one is deifferent, i just feel like this one has a deeper meaning

I find it strange, however, that if he went through all of that saying that he didn't want to talk about the meaning and then blatently said that he felt weird about his mom hearing him sing it...Didn't he sort of give some of it away?

Yeah, I agree, so obviously he wants to people to know it's has more personal meaning than the other songs. Maybe, he didn't think people would catch on or maybe, he was just leading us on. I don't know but I still stand with what I think it's about, and I could be WAAAAY off but I'll keep thinking that until Mika says himself what it's about.

Yeah, I agree, so obviously he wants to people to know it's has more personal meaning than the other songs. Maybe, he didn't think people would catch on or maybe, he was just leading us on. I don't know but I still stand with what I think it's about, and I could be WAAAAY off but I'll keep thinking that until Mika says himself what it's about.

im sure when he said that, he didnt think it would be debated this much haha

Yeah, and if it's about what I think it's about, he probably won't tell...

Exactly, 'cause that's honestly one of the only other things, I can think of, that he refuses to talk about...

Exactly, 'cause that's honestly one of the only other things, I can think of, that he refuses to talk about...

its like this song and his father, and i cant blame him, somethings are just to private fo rhim to say, and when hes ready to say them he will, and if that never happens i respect him for it.

im sure when he said that, he didnt think it would be debated this much haha

Hah, probably not, but this is one of the only times I've really tried to figure out a song's real meaning just 'cause Mika seems pretty open about the rest of his music, even basically going down the list of his songs and saying what they mean and then oh, we get to Stuck in the Middle and he doesn't want to talk about it. Which is absolutely fine but it makes me wonder...

I love how we're all going around in circles trying to protect Mika's privacy here, and either we all understand each other perfectly, or else we're talking perfect nonsense.

Yeah, he did, but then considering how he doesn't want to talk about the meaning, the song itself gives a fair bit away. I find that musicians often do that though--they'll put really personal information into songs that they'd never reveal otherwise, either because they can't help it, or because they feel you can always say "it's not about me" with a song. Also, I often find some people don't realize how much they give away. (I know someone who knows some celebrities, and when she talks about them she tries to keep their identities secret, but it's often easy to guess anyway, haha. She gets upset when someone points that out because she doesn't mean for it to be so obvious.)

--Jack

its like this song and his father, and i cant blame him, somethings are just to private fo rhim to say, and when hes ready to say them he will, and if that never happens i respect him for it.

Oh yeah, absolutely, he can share what he wants, I mean I definitely wouldn't tell the world a bunch about my personal life either. I'm just trying to put two-and-two together. There's one song Mika doesn't talk about and there's one main topic Mika doesn't talk about. Like I said before I could be way off but it's just what I think.

Oh yeah, absolutely, he can share what he wants, I mean I definitely wouldn't tell the world a bunch about my personal life either. I'm just trying to put two-and-two together. There's one song Mika doesn't talk about and there's one main topic Mika doesn't talk about. Like I said before I could be way off but it's just what I think.

oh i think its gotta be about the same thing.

I love how we're all going around in circles trying to protect Mika's privacy here, and either we all understand each other perfectly, or else we're talking perfect nonsense.

Haha, yeah, that's true. Honestly I don't think that 'topic' is a big deal but I know other people don't wanna talk about ("We don't care") I mean you are what you are. Nothing to be ashamed about, nothing to hide. So I guess I don't want come out and say it 'cause that'll start a whole other thing. Not trying to offend anyone but I mean isn't that kinda silly talking about how you don't want you or your music to be defined by 'that' but yet you keep it a big secret? I don't know, it just seems that more attention is drawn to 'that' when you avoid it. But like I've said, it's his life and he can share as much or as little as he wants and I'll still buy his music. lol, hope 'that' made sense. :naughty:

Nah, I think it's fair that he doesn't want to talk about it, even if it fuels speculation. I understand him simply not wishing to give the example of making some personal things public (whatever type of personal things they are--and his family relations fall into this). Though I think there's also more to the song than that, and there are at least two, if not three, very good reasons why he would not talk about it. IF all my guesses are right, I definitely wouldn't talk about it either for any ONE of those reasons.

--Jack

Nah, I think it's fair that he doesn't want to talk about it, even if it fuels speculation. I understand him simply not wishing to give the example of making some personal things public (whatever type of personal things they are--and his family relations fall into this). Though I think there's also more to the song than that, and there are at least two, if not three, very good reasons why he would not talk about it. IF all my guesses are right, I definitely wouldn't talk about it either for any ONE of those reasons.

--Jack

care you share your guesses?

care you share your guesses?

Yeah no kidding, I'm definitely not that good at interpreting songs 'cause I can't think of three other things he wouldn't want to talk about that could be in the song!

oh i am getting so confused lol

Well I wish I could come right out and say my thoughts but I've seen enough people get jumped all over and I don't feel like dealing with that right now, lol.

Well I wish I could come right out and say my thoughts but I've seen enough people get jumped all over and I don't feel like dealing with that right now, lol.

nah i wont jumpo all over you

Um... I don't want to share my guesses openly. Because if I'm right, Mika's already said he doesn't want to talk about the song's meaning. And if I'm wrong, I definitely don't want to have that kind of misinformation out there.

Um... I don't want to share my guesses openly. Because if I'm right, Mika's already said he doesn't want to talk about the song's meaning. And if I'm wrong, I definitely don't want to have that kind of misinformation out there.

ohh can you pm me them, i really wanna know lol i wont post on the thread