Has Mika ever talked about the story behind Stuck in the Middle?

DaMango

When I first heard SITM, I thought it was another post-breakup, love-gone-wrong kind of song. After listening again, and reading the lyrics, it almost sounds like he's talking to a family member, not an ex-lover. Has he ever spoken about this song in an interview? I've only seen a handful of interviews in the short time I've been a fan, and I haven't seen this song pop up in conversation yet.

Thanks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh, thank you for letting me know that. It does seem like a sensitive topic, based on the language and metaphors in the song. Who knows, maybe many years down the road (when he's an old musical icon :biggrin2: ), he'll do a Behind the Music or Storyteller's type TV special, and we'll finally find out.

Wait, that means I'LL be old too! :blink:

The reason I thought it might be about his family is because the lyrics remind me of my boyfriend's family situation when he was growing up. His parents would always fight, and he would literally be stuck in the middle, and have to act as a mediator (which is an unfair thing to do to a child).

Anyway, I guess that's the power of good song writing. You find something in it you can relate to, and it becomes your own story.

I may be wrong but I remember hearing something about Mika saying he was kind of nervous to sing the song one night cuz his mom was in the audience....don't remember where I heard it though. Sorry.

Although, his mom is around most of the time so I don't know. Just throwing that out there. Correct me if I'm wrong...:bleh:

I don't think he likes to talk about it ...but this was topic of several threads so far; here is one of them for you:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3264&highlight=stuck+in+the+middle

Anyway, I guess that's the power of good song writing. You find something in it you can relate to, and it becomes your own story.

Exactly.

Someone once provided an interpretation here that I agree with, and is how I read the song as well... and if that interpretation is true, I definitely see why Mika wants to keep it private.

There is one other time he talked about this sing, when a reporter asked him a question about it... and he replied in a slightly more straight-forward way than he usually does. Can't find that article now though, and I wouldn't want to misquote him.

If you do a search on this song in the forums, you will see some of the interpretations previously offered... including the ones I am talking about.

--Jack

I have my own interpretations (pardon the pun) of what "Stuck in the Middle" is about. I think the meaning is multi-faceted. Being a middle-child is only part of the explanation. If I am correct about the rest, then Mika is wise to speak little about it.

I like how we all say the same thing. I wonder if our interpretations are the same or all different?

Also, I am curious about your signature: I've seen that lyrics written down as "I tried to live alone, but lonely is so lonely alone" before, but to me it's always sounded like "I tried to live alone, but lonely is so lonely, you know," which also seems to make more sense, personally. So which is it?

--Jack

I may be wrong but I remember hearing something about Mika saying he was kind of nervous to sing the song one night cuz his mom was in the audience....don't remember where I heard it though. Sorry.

Although, his mom is around most of the time so I don't know. Just throwing that out there. Correct me if I'm wrong...:bleh:

Yes, it was at the Barfly in Birmingham, that he mentioned after singing Stuck in the Middle that it was awful singing the first line of that song when his mum was in the room. It's in this thread There's an article about the meanings behind most of the lyrics on the album (in which Mika chose not to divulge the meaning of Stuck in the Middle) and then further discussion about the stuck in the middle and other lyrics.

I dunno really about stuck in the middle... I think maybe there were issues at home... LOVE TODAY too... there's a line "Papa's Gone"... and its really profound... maybe the two fit... I could understand why its a touchy subject for him. Thats an awesome song though... listen to it every morning. :)

Someone once provided an interpretation here that I agree with, and is how I read the song as well... and if that interpretation is true, I definitely see why Mika wants to keep it private.

--Jack

I think I read your post in another thread and that's what I think, too.

I like how we all say the same thing. I wonder if our interpretations are the same or all different?

Also, I am curious about your signature: I've seen that lyrics written down as "I tried to live alone, but lonely is so lonely alone" before, but to me it's always sounded like "I tried to live alone, but lonely is so lonely, you know," which also seems to make more sense, personally. So which is it?

--Jack

You are probably right - I easily could've heard wrong and actually would like to know what the correct lyrics are. Sometimes it's hard to tell in Mika's songs - it's certainly happened to me in other songs. So, if anybody knows the real lyrics - please post. I will immediately correct my signature. Thanks for the info! :thumb_yello:

I dunno really about stuck in the middle... I think maybe there were issues at home... LOVE TODAY too... there's a line "Papa's Gone"... and its really profound... maybe the two fit... I could understand why its a touchy subject for him. Thats an awesome song though... listen to it every morning. :)

I think it's about his mother, not his father.

I have this thing that, well, no-one has to believe me, but sometimes I get these flashes of knowledge/certainty about random things, and when I'm convinced I'm really right about them I usually am. And even though Stuck in the Middle had been one of my favorite songs since I heard it, I never really listened to it all that closely until I finally got my own copy of Mika's album. I was just driving around listening to it on repeat when SitM came on, and suddenly I had this very clear thought, "Oh God, he's singing to his mother isn't he? And it's about THAT, isn't it?"

And then I went and read what he said about feeling uncomfortable singing the song with his mom in the audience, so I think it's true.

--Jack

I think it's about his mother, not his father.

I have this thing that, well, no-one has to believe me, but sometimes I get these flashes of knowledge/certainty about random things, and when I'm convinced I'm really right about them I usually am. And even though Stuck in the Middle had been one of my favorite songs since I heard it, I never really listened to it all that closely until I finally got my own copy of Mika's album. I was just driving around listening to it on repeat when SitM came on, and suddenly I had this very clear thought, "Oh God, he's singing to his mother isn't he? And it's about THAT, isn't it?"

And then I went and read what he said about feeling uncomfortable singing the song with his mom in the audience, so I think it's true.

--Jack

Is 'THAT' what I think it is?

It's good to know that his songs have such important meaning to him. This song instantly stood out to me, mainly because it sounded like a couple other songs I really like ("Strange Relationship" by Prince, and "Movin' Out" by Billy Joel). The harmonies were so infectious, I had to listen to it over and over. Then, when I actually stopped and thought about the lyrics, I realized that it wasn't the giddy musical joy ride it appeared to be...

You are probably right - I easily could've heard wrong and actually would like to know what the correct lyrics are. Sometimes it's hard to tell in Mika's songs - it's certainly happened to me in other songs. So, if anybody knows the real lyrics - please post. I will immediately correct my signature. Thanks for the info! :thumb_yello:

i think its lonely alone

Hah, THAT is several things really. But if it is what you think it is, I probably shouldn't say so, should I? ;)

--Jack

I just re-read the lyrics with a new frame of mind. It makes a lot more sense now.