Mika in the herald may 18th

so_rococo

Mika, Barrowland, Glasgow

MARIANNE GUNN May 18 2007

Comment

Tapping into the cultural zeitgeist at Hogmanay and getting Simon Pegg's seal of approval at Jools Holland's Hootenanny was a wise move. Since then, Mika has been on a whirlwind of a ride around the UK and abroad, managing to avoid being compartmentalised as a Freddie Mercury impersonator. So far, so shrewd.

Facing the heaving, dripping Barrowland Ballroom, however, was a whole new challenge for the man who loves Glasgow's "party people" - and leaving the sodden crowd to stew in their own dew until he bounded on like a small rabbit in the headlights was a provocative way to start the evening. Relax, Take It Easy got the crowd back on side and slid gently into a crowd-pleasing rendition of Big Girl (You Are Beautiful).

Apparently his mum was in the audience so perhaps Mika still gets pre-show jitters, but when he hit the piano for some romantic/acoustic moments, he hit a bum note with Glasgow. If there is such a thing as death by arpeggio, it happened to Mika - albeit briefly. It took cult hit Billy Brown to have everyone throwing their faux-suede cowboy hats in the air, and a version of the Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams was a highlight in my book (as opposed to the Jackson Five cover, which must have had every urban fox around the city pricking up its ears).

A lame costumed finale (very student revue, guys) was luckily saved by Lollipop and bubbles and giant balloons. Somehow Mika's newest single, Love Today, makes Grace Kelly seem like very old news - and a 55-minute set is still not long enough.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting review, and brutally honest in some spots. It's kind of nice to see that Mika is human, and get's nervous before a show. I'm sure that after he plays large venues for many many years, he'll have nerves of steel.

Interesting review, and brutally honest in some spots. It's kind of nice to see that Mika is human, and get's nervous before a show. I'm sure that after he plays large venues for many many years, he'll have nerves of steel.

apparently being nervous is something an artist has to deal with for his whole life! no matter how many gigs or whatever he does. I've heard that from other singers or actors! but it's a positive nervousness! it's what makes their job interesting and exciting actually...

apparently being nervous is something an artist has to deal with for his whole life! no matter how many gigs or whatever he does. I've heard that from other singers or actors! but it's a positive nervousness! it's what makes their job interesting and exciting actually...

i can confirm. ive been on stage since i were 4.

Nowadays I'm not entirely that bothered...

before my drama exam I could slight butterflies but I'm so used to performing now I can control myself, and I just so used to it.

Even before a dance I just get excited, not nervous. I'm over the whole nerves thing, unless it's something different and new that I've never done.

But of course everyone is different.

Yeah, it does depend on the person. I'm a performer as well, and I rarely get nervous now. the only time I'm nervous is if I don't feel I've prepared enough. Other than that, I enjoy being on stage. I do know that there are some very talented musicians out there who are terrified of the stage. It all just depends.

.."Zeitgeist"...great word.

But I don't think Mika tapped into the cultural zeitgeist at Hogmanay.

Because the divertissement of the last day of the year is a way to "kill the time", to forget that another year goes away, a way to not think about Life which passes anyway.

Mika's great "roadshow Circus" is instead a celebration of Life, of chilhood hidden in everyone, that is the real part of us, because it' s the creative one, the power to imagine possible-and impossible- worlds.

And creativity distinguish human race from other living organisms...

...He celebrates not the time which passes, but the time hic at nunc ("now and here"), the time of our soul... a plunge in the life we forget everyday, distracted by the things which passed...

i can confirm. ive been on stage since i were 4.

Nowadays I'm not entirely that bothered...

before my drama exam I could slight butterflies but I'm so used to performing now I can control myself, and I just so used to it.

Even before a dance I just get excited, not nervous. I'm over the whole nerves thing, unless it's something different and new that I've never done.

But of course everyone is different.

...For example, I'm nervous, not only excited...and it's difficoult to me to control myself :boxed: