Guardian

JUlie

In today's Guardian there is a Guide booklet and on page 25 there is a whole page dedicated to Mika's video for Big Girl (Your are Beautiful). The picture is already on the forum but the write-up of it I will enter on a different entry:

The article isnt nice towards Mika, calling the song condescending and the opinion of Mika is not very nice at all. I thought I would have to post it anyway. Please don't get cross with me:wub2:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here follows the article, and MFCers you will get mad, and I don't blame you.

Peter Robinson wonders why some sirls are bigger than others.

If you are female, overweight and fond of being patronised, I have good news: Mika is releasing a single just for you. It's called Big Girl (You are Beautiful). Opening line: "Walks into the room, feels like a big balloon I said 'hey girl, you are beautiful'". Most intelligent people would respons to this by punching Mika in the face, but this well-orchestrated trumph of disingenuousness shows exactly what Mika thinks of a large proortion of his fanbase. Big Girl (You are Beautiful) is aimed squarely at the stupid - it's a condescending, tokenistic nursery ryme for the hen party brigade Mika has so aggressively pursued. He recently shot a video for the song in Croydon. YouTube footage shows Mika jumping around outside Allders, surrounded by overweight female members of the public.

Perhaps Mika's words are not empty and perhanmps Mika does have a 200ib girlfriend. Perhaps he does sit at home with a box of Kleenex and a video of that woman being winched out of her house for a starring appearance on The Jerry Springer Show. Unfortunately, it is impossible to know because Mike stil does not want us to know whether he even likes girls or boys, let alone what else he's into. His irksome desire to be embraced as either gay or straight (and neither gay or straight) depending on that day's chosen target demographic is why Big Girl (You are Beautiful) means, at best, nothing. At worst, the lyrics sounds depressingly like every queen in every gay bar in the land, assuring his wailing, perennially single fag hag that of course she's beautiful and of course those men just don't understand. The words all come out in the right order, but he'll never have to put his money where his mouth is - what a shame, he's gay! - and the words are rendered meaningless as soon as the next skinny emo boy walks in the door and the girl's left on her own. That's the video Mika should have made. Is it too late to reshoot the Croydon footage?

It would be interesting to know what Beth Kitto, big girl du jour, makes of the Mika single. She is, after all, a fiercely intelligent and single-minded woman, certainly bright enough to see Big Girl for what it is. She'll now instantly that, despite initial appearances it is not a song to st alongside Christina's Beautiful or the Sugababes' Ugly - both songs about people being brilliant on the inside. With its video featuring literaly anyone who is overweight simply because tyhey are overweight, Beth will know that the Mika song is about what's on the outside being important- just as crass and hateful as a song celebrating the slender, the bronzed, the conventially beautiful. Ditto must also know, while her entire persona trades on the assumnption that it is normnal to be fat and normal t be a lesbian, the majority of Gossip's numerous front covers, features and profiles dwell on these issues because they are unusual and she is, for right or for wrong, a novelty. But that's between her and her conscience and, ultimately, everyone needs to sell records.

NB: If there are any errors, I do apologise.

...whoa.

I can actually understand a number of people having issues with that song, because some of its lyrics do sound... um... ambiguous. But, WTF.

Perhaps Mika's words are not empty and perhanmps Mika does have a 200ib girlfriend. Perhaps he does sit at home with a box of Kleenex and a video of that woman being winched out of her house for a starring appearance on The Jerry Springer Show.

Wow, that's just great! Way to go by equating healthy heavier girls with people who are far beyond that point and at a dangerous weight. This is perfectly reasonable--just like any person who says they find smaller-chested girls attractive must REALLY mean they like preadolescent children. Shows what the author of this article thinks of Big Girls too--to them "Big Girl" obviously seems to mean "someone who needs to be winched out of their house." Classy.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to know because Mike stil does not want us to know whether he even likes girls or boys, let alone what else he's into. His irksome desire to be embraced as either gay or straight (and neither gay or straight) depending on that day's chosen target demographic is why Big Girl (You are Beautiful) means, at best, nothing.

Yes, because his reluctance to tell the press all about his sex life must necessarily be a shrewd marketing technique--we can see how much it's helping him, right? Everyone just looooooves that he won't talk, right? And I like the implication here: "how dare Mika want people to like him regardless of his sexuality!" Apparently, wanting to be judged on one's music and not who one wants to shag is "irksome." Thanks so much for letting us know.

With its video featuring literaly anyone who is overweight simply because tyhey are overweight, Beth will know that the Mika song is about what's on the outside being important- just as crass and hateful as a song celebrating the slender, the bronzed, the conventially beautiful.

Wonderful--because the only way a fat girl can be beautiful is on the inside, right? There's no way anyone can think that she's beautiful on the outside, after all! And certainly making a song about celebrating that outside, as an alternative to all the ones celebrating slender girls, cannot possibly be a positive undertaking in itself. Not when the author's idea of anyone actually having a thing for big girls is a guy whacking off to videos of a woman being airlifted out of her house. Despite all the high and mighty attitude, it appears that to honestly be attracted to bigger girls is ridiculous and a form of sexual deviancy, and big girls must ONLY be celebrated for their personalities.

I usually don't get upset at negative articles, but this one is just offensive! Can you post the email for this reporter so I can share a bit of my mind with him or her?

--Jack

i have to say i have only read the first paragraph and i just didnt bother with the rest :biggrin2:

Why should i give some negatively oppinionated Journalist my time of day??:cool:

if he thinks mika's offending big girls by writing this song he should read over again what he wrote, it's not mika's intention to do anything like that but this stupid writer :thumbdown:

if he thinks mika's offending big girls by writing this song he should read over again what he wrote, it's not mika's intention to do anything like that but this stupid writer :thumbdown:

Exactly--I think this article is extremely offensive to big girls, personally. I really wish I had that writer's email.

--Jack

Exactly--I think this article is extremely offensive to big girls, personally. I really wish I had that writer's email.

--Jack

yeah i don't think anyone would think badly of the song but this article is definitely gonna put different thoughts in their minds espesh if they're not originally a mika fan

I think the journalist in question is making much more of the song than is appropriate-- it's a pop song, for god's sake!! And ya know what? It's a fun song, and it's an affirming song. It's refreshing to hear something praising women of the larger variety. People need to realize that it's OK to be superficial sometimes (especially in pop music!), not everything has to be about how beautiful we all are on the inside. It feels good to be complimented on the outside as well, no matter how big we are.

Ughh! This article pisses me off more than anything I've ever read. I honestly don't think Mika is the type of person who would mock anyone, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. GAhh! I'm so angry I don't know what to do! :thumbdown::blowup::annoyed_h4h:

I think the journalist in question is making much more of the song than is appropriate-- it's a pop song, for god's sake!! And ya know what? It's a fun song, and it's an affirming song. It's refreshing to hear something praising women of the larger variety. People need to realize that it's OK to be superficial sometimes (especially in pop music!), not everything has to be about how beautiful we all are on the inside. It feels good to be complimented on the outside as well, no matter how big we are.

Ughh! This article pisses me off more than anything I've ever read. I honestly don't think Mika is the type of person who would mock anyone, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. GAhh! I'm so angry I don't know what to do! :thumbdown::blowup::annoyed_h4h:

i totally agree with u what u said there, its just a stupid article and i hope no one takes it seriously :thumbdown:

I can tell you that it's not a big girl. Like I said, I could actually see someone taking issue with the song, but no big girl--heck, almost no girl--would write anything like that article. It's likely a male journalist.

--Jack

Personally I believe, If this writer isn't a big girl then this article is total crap. How could this person speak up about whats offensive to bigger girls when they aren't one themselves.

Unfortunately I think this is just a case of a 'journalist' (hah) saying things just to be different. I mean the UK press prettty much love Mika and this one obviously didn't want to go with the flow.

And lastly am I the only one who thinks, if the writer wanted to know what Beth Ditto thought then he/she should have got an interview with Beth Ditto and asked. Aaand could it not be offensive that the writer has picked Beth ditto as the representative of all Bigger girls. It's not like were all in a union and need someone to speak for us. Haha.

I am so sorry for inputting the article but I thought everyone would want to see that there are horrible and nasty little people out there. As I was typing I actually could feel myself getting angrier and angrier. It was originally online but when I looked again it had been taken off....wonder why? Wonder what Brian would say if he saw that?

Don't be sorry, Julie, we appreciated having the chance to read it even if we hated it! Was it really Peter Robinson who wrote it though? I really want to email him!

If--IF-someone does want to take issue with "Big Girl (You are beautiful)" and argue that it can be seen as offensive, this is how you do it. Whether you agree with this article or not, at least it supports its points and doesn't dissolve into debasing rhetoric.

--Jack

Don't be sorry, Julie, we appreciated having the chance to read it even if we hated it! Was it really Peter Robinson who wrote it though? I really want to email him!

If--IF-someone does want to take issue with "Big Girl (You are beautiful)" and argue that it can be seen as offensive, this is how you do it. Whether you agree with this article or not, at least it supports its points and doesn't dissolve into debasing rhetoric.

--Jack

It really was him. The thing I don't get is he is putting words into people's mouths and speaking for Big Girls everywhere. He must have thought he was doing a service to the Big Girl community when in fact he has probably made a lot of enemies in them

I like how the problems I may have with that song--the idea that a) skinny girls make anyone "feel like I wanna die" and b) saying that only a big girl is a "real woman," as if there is some kind of set of rules on what makes a woman "real" or not (every woman is a "real woman," after all!), and c) opening the song with food imagery is not very progressive--are not even mentioned in that article. All the articles written by women bring those questions up. That guy? He just wants to make rude comments about sexuality and fetishes.

--Jack

i have to say i have only read the first paragraph and i just didnt bother with the rest :biggrin2:

Why should i give some negatively oppinionated Journalist my time of day??:cool:

Thank you BexxY. We should all know by now how stupid the Guardian journalists are. Isnt it where the pre...something guy works. the one Brian May shot up the ass for giving the worst LICM review i ve ever seen.:shocked:

they just dont like MIKA but think abnoxious, attention-seeking bastards like the kaisers are god.(sorry chiefs fans.)

Thank you BexxY. We should all know by now how stupid the Guardian journalists are. Isnt it where the pre...something guy works. the one Brian May shot up the ass for giving the worst LICM review i ve ever seen.:shocked:

they just dont like MIKA but think abnoxious, attention-seeking bastards like the kaisers are god.(sorry chiefs fans.)

I totally agree with you, I do like the Kaiser Chiefs but Mika's music is different as it reaches all levels of society. Kaisers aim for a different market of music-lovers

No.1 he is being a bloody homophobe!! Fag Hag is that meant to be nice?

No.2 Does he know the REAL reason MIKA wrote that song? No

No.3 He was LYING ABOUT YOUTUBE!! BELIEVE ME I'VE LOOKED!!!