Let's talk POLITICS ( NO FIGHTS)

BonjourMika1990

Everyone, this is a thread dedicated to politics...your perception on the world today and your concerns.

I am an American...A democratic American who can't wait to vote in the 08' election. I think the campaigns started way too early.

BUT, my favorite candidate is BARACK OBAMA:thumb_yello:

Tell us about your country, your fears...your opinions.

PEOPLE will inevidably disagree, but that's ok... debate and discuss PLEASE don't be nasty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what I am.

I believe in gay rights, but not abortions.

I'm Catholic, but I'm respecting and open to pretty much everyone.

I think this country was founded on Christianity, but we avertised ourselves as a "huge melting pot!" and now all the Christians in government are like "OHHH, we need to get back to Christian roots, ooooh!" Well it's a little late for that.

I don't think we should have a woman president, simply because women are so disrespected in alot of other countries and they won't be taken seriously. Plus, women think too much with their heart and not their heads. It's scientific. A woman president could only work if the other countries had women leaders.

And I could say something about Barack Obama, but the last time I did, someone said it was racist. Which it really isn't... But anyway, I think alot of people are only voting for him because he's black, and they'll look like racists if they don't. It looks like a huge advancement for us (Y'know.. from slavery to president), but all in all, I don't agree with him on some issues, and skin color has nothing to do with it.

And I turn 18 on October 2nd next year, which is the cut off date for registration. So I have to go register on my birthday. And I'll most likely vote for Mitt Romney.

I'm a Republican. I am not sure who I am going to vote for in the 2008 elections. Too many of the candidates come across as wishy washy to me, but then again that's a lot of what politics is (IMO).

I am certain, however, that I will not be voting for Hilary Clinton.

sarie, i just love hearing your point of view.

it's honest, and unbaised.

i am a republican, and a mormon.

big shocker, i know.

but, if i had the chance to vote in '08, it wouldn't be for Mitt Romney, because i don't really agree with some of the stuff in his campaign.

for me, it would be either Rudy Guiliani or Barack Obama.

i absolutely do not think this country is ready for a woman (especially a Clinton) to be president.

I'm not sure what I am.

I think this country was founded on Christianity, but we avertised ourselves as a "huge melting pot!" and now all the Christians in government are like "OHHH, we need to get back to Christian roots, ooooh!" Well it's a little late for that.

I don't think we should have a woman president, simply because women are so disrespected in alot of other countries and they won't be taken seriously. Plus, women think too much with their heart and not their heads. It's scientific. A woman president could only work if the other countries had women leaders.

And I could say something about Barack Obama, but the last time I did, someone said it was racist. Which it really isn't... But anyway, I think alot of people are only voting for him because he's black, and they'll look like racists if they don't. It looks like a huge advancement for us (Y'know.. from slavery to president), but all in all, I don't agree with him on some issues, and skin color has nothing to do with it.

And I turn 18 on October 2nd next year, which is the cut off date for registration. So I have to go register on my birthday. And I'll most likely vote for Mitt Romney.

Interesting points Sarie. I could see why people would take it as racism, but I know it isn't. For me too, it's not about skin color...more about his charisma and overall interest in the people.

As far as a woman being president, I WOULD LOVE THAT... Hilary is a bit scary though..and not very charismatic. But the idea of having a woman lead the country is awesome. If a woman thinks with her heart, than I believe that's what the world needs.

GAY RIGHTS: ALL FOR THEM:mf_lustslow: Why should a man and a man be deprived of getting married.

I'm catholic too, and my religion says " It's not a sin to be gay... the sexual act is a sin."

Isn't that ridiculous? I mean, that's pretty much the same as telling someone "It's ok to be straight...as long as you don't have sex before marriage."

I truly believe that NO one chooses to be gay, because look at how the world views it: a plague, a stigma...something looked down upon. Who would chose to live that kind of a lifestyle?

as for abortion: I:M PRO LIFE.

I'm not sure what I am.

I am not in favor of Obama either, but that is simply because I don't think that he has enough experience to take on being the President. Additionally, I don't agree with some of his viewpoints, so that essentially is what will keep me from voting for him.

Oh, and I am pro-life as well. I would never vote for any candidate that supports pro-choice.

Interesting points Sarie. I could see why people would take it as racism, but I know it isn't. For me too, it's not about skin color...more about his charisma and overall interest in the people.

As far as a woman being president, I WOULD LOVE THAT... Hilary is a bit scary though..and not very charismatic. But the idea of having a woman lead the country is awesome. If a woman thinks with her heart, than I believe that's what the world needs.

GAY RIGHTS: ALL FOR THEM:mf_lustslow: Why should a man and a man be deprived of getting married.

I'm catholic too, and my religion says " It's not a sin to be gay... the sexual act is a sin."

Isn't that ridiculous? I mean, that's pretty much the same as telling someone "It's ok to be straight...as long as you don't have sex before marriage."

I truly believe that NO one chooses to be gay, because look at how the world views it: a plague, a stigma...something looked down upon. Who would chose to live that kind of a lifestyle?

as for abortion: I:M PRO LIFE.

Wow ....

Politics is just about as wide ranged and controversial as religion and all of the other things already mentioned! :naughty:

I am a democrat and a Christian. I would also LOVE to see a woman president!

Hilary is a VERY smart lady and very capable of handling the j-o-b! I mean COME ON who do you think 'really' ran the White House when Bill was president???? hhhhmmmm...... :roftl:

I am not going to say anything about Obama, cause well no matter how I try to put it.... it is just NOT gonna come out right, and there will be a HUGE misunderstanding and FIGHTS and the thread will be closed.... or my house will be torched... and I am NOT racist {I have a black child, for goodness sakes} BUT nevertheless I KNOW there is NO WAY that anyone here can take what I have to say.... and since I LOVE all of my MFCers SO much.... I will keep it inside!!!!

Oh... and I am totally PRO CHOICE!

{for MANY reasons}

I'm glad no one jumped all over me for being racist.

I asked someone who they were voting for, and they said Obama. And I said "Why?" and they go "Well why not? What's so wrong with black people?"

:blink: I didn't say "Oh, why would you vote for a black person.", I simply asked why they chose him. If someone wanted Rudy or Hilary, I'd still most likely ask why.

The only real problem I have with Mitt is that whole abortion thing. His sister died from an illegal abortion, so for the longest time he was pro-choice. Now he's completely switched, and he's pro-life. I can't decide if he's being wishy washy or not. Then again, peoples' opinions change.

And I'm confused on the whole gay rights thing. I think gay people should definitely have all the rights that everyone else has, but then again... I don't know if they should have "marriage". Because if you're gay, and you want a Christian marriage, you would understand WHY your religion is against it. And sometimes I think "Well, this is a Christian country..." but, let's face it, it's not anymore. They're taking God out of absolutely everything. So I think it's sort of dumb for the conservatives to say "OH, we can't let gays marry because this is a Christian country!"

I guess I'm a conservative/republican when it really comes down to it. I'm not sure. I'm pretty much a whatevericrat.

Didn't Hilary switch opinions on alot of things, aswell?

Edit: and as far as being anti-abortion, here's how I look at it: at the moment of conception, the egg and sperm create a being with it's own identity. That embryo has DNA like nobody else. At that point, it's murder, because it's no longer like amputating a leg, or an arm. Because your leg or arm or any part of the body you want to take off has the same DNA that you have. And while this baby has most of the same genetics, it's still NOT your special, individual DNA code... thingy. (I'm eloquent, eh?) That's why I think it's murder, and that's why I'm completely against abortion.

I'm pro life because:

Please note that I'm not directing this at anyone: MY OPINION is just that:thumb_yello:

For me it's simple: LIFE is a blessing... That child was meant to be born, and someone took it upon themselves to prevent their life from even starting.

Not only is it wrong to deprive someone of a life, but the way the doctors go about doing so is complete brutalality and barbarism...

I don't want to post graphic images or content here, but here's a link IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE:

here are the methods:

http://www.ohiolife.org/abortion/methods.asp

There can be so many reasons why people decide to have abortions, but think of the life that could have been... Humanity needs to learn how to love again... and not take the easy way out. It's completely heartbreaking to think that anyone could do that to their own blood.

Now if it is a choice between the mother's life and the childs...than that is a completely different circumstance...one that I have not formed a direct opinon on.

Now if it is a choice between the mother's life and the childs...than that is a completely different circumstance...one that I have not formed a direct opinon on.

I was hoping someone would bring that up!

I don't know how I feel about it, either. Maybe this sounds completely selfish, but I think if it came down between one or the other dying, the mother should live. I feel completely horrible even typing that. But I guess I just sort of look at it as like... suppose the woman already had little children. To deprive those children of their mother... because of a baby that doesn't even have a REAL life yet... I don't know.

I feel bad for even typing it now.

I was hoping someone would bring that up!

I don't know how I feel about it, either. Maybe this sounds completely selfish, but I think if it came down between one or the other dying, the mother should live. I feel completely horrible even typing that. But I guess I just sort of look at it as like... suppose the woman already had little children. To deprive those children of their mother... because of a baby that doesn't even have a REAL life yet... I don't know.

I feel bad for even typing it now.

I think it is couragous for someone to sacrifice their life for their child...a child they don't even know yet... It is a completely selfless act and is definatley grounds for immediate entrance into heaven...

BUT for me, I couldn't just freely end my life: leaving behind a husband and children or an entire family that would be heartbroken to see me leave...

I'm pro the life of young girls who aren't ready to have a child yet :mf_rosetinted:

*leaves thread quietly*

Well, whether or not they're ready or not, any time someone has sexual intercoure their is a chance of getting pregnant.

Thye may not be ready, but there's always the option of adoption.

I think it is couragous for someone to sacrifice their life for their child...a child they don't even know yet... It is a completely selfless act and is definatley grounds for immediate entrance into heaven...

BUT for me, I couldn't just freely end my life: leaving behind a husband and children or an entire family that would be heartbroken to see me leave...

Well, think of it this way, too. If something is wrong with the pregnancy that it comes down to the point of one life or the other, it makes me wonder what's wrong with the baby, or if it will even survive once outside the womb.

Well, whether or not they're ready or not, any time someone has sexual intercoure their is a chance of getting pregnant.

Well yes, but it's a bit silly to wait with having sex until you want children. And of course you have to be careful and use protection, but it can always go wrong and you don't have to be punished for that for the rest of your life...

I understand if you don't want to answer this question, but are you against sex before marriage in general?

I agree. There's plenty of people out there who want kids and can't have them. If you don't love your child enough to keep it, why would you care if some other family gave it the love it deserved?

but say the girl got raped?

she should have the option to choose whether or not she wants to have a living reminder of what happened to her.

I don't know how I'd be if I were actually IN the situation, BUT: I think if I were raped today, and found out I'd gotten pregnant, I would keep the child. And my dad goes "but you'll always look at that child and be reminded of what happened!"

If you were raped, wouldn't you always remember what happened, whether you keep the child or not? It's not the kid's fault.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to MQ Hilary's post! There we go. :cheerful_h4h:

but say the girl got raped?

she should have the option to choose whether or not she wants to have a living reminder of what happened to her.

Once again though, if it is that painful to go on seeing a child that reminds you of that pain, than putting the baby up for adoption would be the best.

If she were raped, than it is not the fault of the child to be born...The child's life should not be taken because someone else took it upon themselves to commit such an aweful act.

The baby should still be born because they are NOT the same as their rapist fathers.

I agree. There's plenty of people out there who want kids and can't have them. If you don't love your child enough to keep it, why would you care if some other family gave it the love it deserved?

I don't know how I'd be if I were actually IN the situation, BUT: I think if I were raped today, and found out I'd gotten pregnant, I would keep the child. And my dad goes "but you'll always look at that child and be reminded of what happened!"

If you were raped, wouldn't you always remember what happened, whether you keep the child or not? It's not the kid's fault.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to MQ Hilary's post! There we go. :cheerful_h4h:

exaclty...the guilt you would feel from killing your baby would be far greater than the memory of rape...If you have that kind of mentality...If you don't care, than you just don't care.

Well yes, but it's a bit silly to wait with having sex until you want children. And of course you have to be careful and use protection, but it can always go wrong and you don't have to be punished for that for the rest of your life...

I understand if you don't want to answer this question, but are you against sex before marriage in general?

Is having a child really a punishment? I don't think God's sitting up in Heaven like "What's some way I could keep the Earth populated and punish horny teenagers at the same time... BINGO, CHILDREN!"