Mika in "A" Magazine Italy

Nezza

Thanks to Claudia for letting us know about the interview, and thanks to Dani for the scans! :biggrin2:

79524095.th.jpg

61743901.th.jpg

23647772.th.jpg

77890934.th.jpg

And here's my translation:

The boy who wanted to be Grace Kelly

He runs away from the TV. He hides at parties. "And if nobody talks to me, I drink too much." Now Mika's about to arrive in Milan. And it's all another song altogether.

"Do I attract you? Do I replulse you with my queasy smile? I try to be like Grace Kelly..." It was 2007 when Mika broke through with his debut single, Grace Kelly. It was an international success, followed by Relax, Rain, and now We Are Golden and Blame it on The Girls. The new single Kick Ass, is taken from the film with the same name, which was directed by Matthew Vaughn, Claudia Schiffer's husband. The film hasn't arrived in Italy yet, but Mika's coming to Milan soon, for his concert on the 21st of April. At only 26 years old there are people who compare him to Freddie Mercury and David Bowie. But he feels only himself.

The new songs have a more personal feel, almost intimate.

Opening up's always a bit scary, especially if you had always been marginalised by other people as I was. I suffered with dyslexia at school. And it's because of this I write songs, it helps me exorcise my fears.

Do you feel fragile?

Very. I only feel secure when I write songs. On stage I'm conscious of my weaknesses and I try to overcome them. In day to day life I feel inept. I'm shy, an escapist. I'm not proud at all. It's because of this you don't see me on tv much. If I go to a party where I don't know anyone I sit in a corner and drink, usually too much. And at the end I go home angry because nobody said a word to me.

After the success of your first album did you feel a lot of pressure from your record label?

They told me: "You've got six months to write another". There's pressure, even if many people around you will say there isn't and support you.

For how long do you work every day?

From 10 in the morning to 7 in the evening, with an hour for lunch. I like the routine, it creates order. At music school I was the same - I didn't study to become a classical musician, but to have something to do at 10 o'clock. It's like a painter who goes to his studio to paint, everyone needs a place where they can develop their ideas.

Your debut couldn't have been easy.

I didn't have any money for many years. I was always travelling doing concerts, but the company that organised the tour was bankrupt but nobody knew. My album was No. 1 in the charts but I didn't have any money to pay for a dinner in a restaurant. When the first lot of money arrived I was well aware of how much it cost to live. Now, everytime I treat myself I have to know that I've worked enough to deserve it. And anyway I don't even have a lot of money today, just a bit more than I'm used to.

What would have happened if you hadn't have had discipline?

I would've lost time looking for inspiration and I wouldn't have done anything. Discipline is fundamental for my creativity. A Russian teacher taught me that - she said that every day you need to look ahead.

Was it difficult?

If I made a mistake they beat me. Not violently but enough to make me feel bad. Russian upbringing involves a lot of discipline and practical work. Art comes after.

Robbie Williams has released a new album. Do you feel better than him?

I'm the only solo artists that does pop music in this way, but Robbie is Robbie, he's a true legend. My concerts are so different from his that we can't be jealous of each other, at the most we could compliment each other.

You don't feel like a popstar?

I make music to be happy. When I write a song I feel like a seven year old kid who jumps around in his room when he's happy. When I wrote Rain, for example, I was satisfied with having suceeded in reaching and expressing a particular feeling, a mixture of happiness and sadness.

In Blame it on The Girls you say "Dude, your perspective on life sucks". Who is that aimed at?

To certain famous colleagues I know. People who complain about life, even if they have everything. I'm always terrified that it will happen to me. Sometimes I really am scared that success will change me. I'd like to protect myself as much as I can.

Are you able to do this?

I try, for example by keeping the habits I had before I was famous. Living where I have always lived, still working with my family. Those kind of things. For example, when I was recording my second album I was back in Los Angeles, in the same flat where I had worked on the previous one, and for neighbours I had a soap actress and a drug dealer. I could have allowed myself a nice house in a different area of the city. My mum told me, “Why do you have to throw away all that money?”.

Does success wear you out?

The biggest lie is that “success makes you more sure of yourself”. Actually, it’s the opposite that’s true. I never would’ve expected it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you feel fragile?

Very. I only feel secure when I write songs. On stage I'm conscious of my weaknesses and I try to overcome them. In day to day life I feel inept. I'm shy, an escapist. I'm not proud at all. It's because of this you don't see me on tv much. If I go to a party where I don't know anyone I sit in a corner and drink, usually too much. And at the end I go home angry because nobody said a word to me.

Oh Mika you silly thing, this is why we go to see you at shows, to hopefully give you a bit of a confidence boost, and IMO, it looks like it works :wink2:

SO BE ON TV MORE DAMMIT :aah:

T4P.

Hey guys, I've just been on the Italian universal music forum... apparently the magazine is called "Anna". Maybe someone could correct the title, some people may want to buy it. :wink2:
i think it's the same thing :wink2:

Robbie Williams has released a new album. Do you feel better than him?

:sneaky2: what silly question FFS!!! Don't put my boys, Mika and Robbie, in a fight :hair:

but the others questions are interesting, thanks for posting and translating :wub2:

Archived