Guardian Online - Glastonbury review

JUlie

On the traditionally indier-than-thou Other Stage, Mika bravely faced a constituency that regards him with mistrust and bludgeoned them with much-needed pop optimism. Gazing up at rainy skies, he insisted everyone help to stop the rain by copying his high-pitched “Hawaiian prayerâ€. For Love Today, he mounted his drummer’s bass drum like the Statue Of Liberty’s sexually undecided teenage brother and negotiated his multi-octave range like a speeding car on black ice and, yes, eventually embarrassed the rain into abating.

Given that Mika enlisted two roly-poly female dancers in blue corsets, and several more other chums, to dress up as wild animals while brandishing huge letters that spelt “LOVEâ€, the least Pete Doherty could have done for the Babyshambles set was rehearse a bit.

(Not sure if this is a positive or negative review)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point they were making was that Mika made the effort to entertain the audience, the Hawaiian prayer was a hoot to do by the way, wereas Mr D, as usual, couldn't be bothered.

Great!! :thumb_yello: The last bit is saying that Mika went to a lot of effort - which is more than 'some' did, so good for him. :thumb_yello: The review could have been a bit more praiseful but, nevermind - Well done Mika,:thumb_yello:

Even if some will never like him or his music per se, I like to believe that he will eventually gain the respect of everyone in the industry - even the snobs -for his attitude, hard work, energy and enthusiasm.

And one day it will be "cool" to like him. (NOT THAT HE CARES :mf_rosetinted: )

On the traditionally indier-than-thou Other Stage, Mika bravely faced a constituency that regards him with mistrust and bludgeoned them with much-needed pop optimism. Gazing up at rainy skies, he insisted everyone help to stop the rain by copying his high-pitched “Hawaiian prayerâ€. For Love Today, he mounted his drummer’s bass drum like the Statue Of Liberty’s sexually undecided teenage brother and negotiated his multi-octave range like a speeding car on black ice and, yes, eventually embarrassed the rain into abating.

Given that Mika enlisted two roly-poly female dancers in blue corsets, and several more other chums, to dress up as wild animals while brandishing huge letters that spelt “LOVEâ€, the least Pete Doherty could have done for the Babyshambles set was rehearse a bit.

I love how this review is written: wacky and a little bit sarcastic. Well done to Mika for making a real effort to entertain. :)

Even if some will never like him or his music per se, I like to believe that he will eventually gain the respect of everyone in the industry - even the snobs -for his attitude, hard work, energy and enthusiasm.

I agree wholeheartedly: love him or hate him, you have to respect him. Kind of like the childhood icon Marmite. :lol3:

Definitely positve!:thumb_yello: Its the guadian remember? They dont like MIKA much but this is not very bad. maybe they are coming round:wink2:

yeah I thought it was an OK review, he deserved better but you can't please everybody all of the time and Mika knows that only too well, it won't stop him doing what he loves and wants to do he knows he has oodles of support in many other places and he will not have lost any fans at Glasto but I can bet you he will have made a fair few more and so that is a good thing..for Mika and crew anyway. :thumb_yello:

well done Mika and co.