Mika, digital spy.

so_rococo

Mika: 'Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)'

Released on Monday, July 16 2007

By Alex Fletcher

The Mika bandwagon doesn't show any signs of stopping with his third release from debut album Life in Cartoon Motion proving to be even more camp, bombastic and chirpy than 'Grace Kelly' and 'Love Today'. 'Big Girls (You are Beautiful)' cements the Lebanon-born singer's status as the rightful heir to Robbie William's throne of anthemic, booty-shaking pop. While Williams is busying his time trying to escape the limelight, Mika seems only too happy to sing his heart out, all brash and carefree in order to win over the nation's hearts.

Undoubtedly there will be many who despise this song and even those who sing its virtues may not be so bold after a summer of incessant rotation on the nation's radio stations. However, for those who like their music bold, brassy and with bells on top, this single is all that plus a kitchen sink thrown in for good measure. With '80s synths and snapping drum machines bouncing along in the back, Mika uses his undeniably impressive scales to croon over the virtues of the larger lady.

While lyrics such as: "Diet coke and a pizza place / Diet coke I'm on my knees / Screaming, big girl you are beautiful," aren't going to win any poetry prizes, it is unlikely this will perturb fans of his ludicrously over-the-top tunes. Mika, to his credit, appears to have his tongue firmly stuck in his cheek, especially with the sound of somebody slurping, what one can only presume is a can of fizzy pop, opening the track. Destined to be performed heartily by every person who secretly sings in the shower, it would appear resistance to Mika's rising star is futile

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting, that's a decent review!

Not sure about the 'ludicrously over the top tunes' or whatever. :blink: What exactly does that mean??

But, I've said this before: I really hope he brings out at least one of the album's more ballady songs, as people not in the know (like us..:wink2: ) need to see his diversity pretty soon, before he gets too heavily stereotyped as 'bouncy disco pop'. In my opinion..:wink2:

Hey thanks for that! ^___^

Yeah, kitchen sinks are exactly what comes in my mind too from listening to Big Girl. :glasses2:

proving to be even more camp, bombastic and chirpy than 'Grace Kelly' and 'Love Today'.

Kool, now let's release Billy Brown!! (That would seriously be great.) :punk:

maybe im being stupid, but was that for or against him???:blink:

You're not being stupid. The article is very deliberately non-commital. He's basically saying that fans are going to love it, haters are going to hate it and everyone in between may get sick of it at some point. Not very insightful.

"Mika, to his credit, appears to have his tongue firmly stuck in his cheek, especially with the sound of somebody slurping, what one can only presume is a can of fizzy pop, opening the track. Destined to be performed heartily by every person who secretly sings in the shower, it would appear resistance to Mika's rising star is futile"

Ok, it's time for me to ask a stupid question.

What does "tongue in cheek" mean??

I have an idea of what it means but im not 100% sure.

What does "tongue in cheek" mean??

I have an idea of what it means but im not 100% sure.

It means it's a joke. Mika is not taking the subject very seriously when he sings about big girls eating pizza and slurping Diet Coke. If he was, he would be seen as a bit of a jackass.

I just want to say that I'd have no problem calling some of Mika's songs "ludicrously over the top" and yet I love them. :biggrin2: It all depends on your perception...

Oh, and the kitchen sink? I'm not sure if some of you are aware or not that it's an expression... "everything but the kitchen sink" means, well, everything that you could expect/use and then some.

http://www.goenglish.com/EverythingButTheKitchenSink.asp

--Jack

I'm pretty sure Mika didn't write Big Girl as a jokey song, considering in various interviews he said it was written after watching a documentry about the Butterfly Club in LA, and also he dedicated it to his mum and aunt.

Tongue in cheek doesn't mean he's joking with the song as a whole. :thumb_yello: He can mean the message of the song in full seriousness without being necessarily Super Serious in its lyrics. I think the song definitely has its humorous moments.

--Jack

I could just hear him say "I dunno, I just put together what seems right and natural...". From what I gather, he doesn't really overthink this song too much, which is why he admits this song only took him 15 minutes to write.

I'm pretty sure Mika didn't write Big Girl as a jokey song, considering in various interviews he said it was written after watching a documentry about the Butterfly Club in LA, and also he dedicated it to his mum and aunt.

I think the critic is just saying that Mika doesn't fancy himself some sort of social activist a la Sting based on lyrics like "Diet Coke and a pizza please". The message may be that big girls are beautiful but he's still having a bit of fun with it and not writing some sort of solemn dirge on the subject.