Katy Perry

Ioana

Don't anyone take offence, but to me she seems the Kate Nash' plastic version (or a Paris Hilton guitar version). Another manufacted and superficial american diva is born? Is she just another Perez Hilton's zoo creature? It seems so. Well, if it is so I prefer the original type, and it's called Kate Nash!

I don't know if she'll last or not, but I know that Madonna's not afraid of her...

To me a female musician really talented (and, YES, she's american) is Aimee Mann: her music is something incredible, try to hear "Magnolia" soundtrack.

it's a free world, you can think what you want of course... but kate nash and her are doing totally dofferent types of music (appart maybe from you're so gay, katy is more into rock and roll than ballads)...

i'm not sure (really not) that "manufactured" could apply to her...

and paris hilton with a guitar ??? :boxed: i must admitt i didn't expect that :roftl: give le ONE thing they have in common.

Madonna is afraid of no one.

Let's see when Aimee Mann gets on radio and large broadcast. if she ever does. we'll see.

and a question... coming here, on a mika fan website, finding the katy perry thread, cause it happens there is one, and posting that with 4 posts in hands ? good good... seems that you know how to make friends !

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't anyone take offence, but to me she seems the Kate Nash' plastic version (or a Paris Hilton guitar version). Another manufacted and superficial american diva is born? Is she just another Perez Hilton's zoo creature? It seems so. Well, if it is so I prefer the original type, and it's called Kate Nash!

I don't know if she'll last or not, but I know that Madonna's not afraid of her...

To me a female musician really talented (and, YES, she's american) is Aimee Mann: her music is something incredible, try to hear "Magnolia" soundtrack.

i do like Kate Nash but she's not very musical... I mean her music is basically chord sequences of 5 grade piano student level (most of the songs)

It doesn't mean it's not good,she's a great story teller and in total it sounds good,tho the Skeleton Songs does seem a tad stupid to me ,just my opinion here tho

Anyway,Katy is more musical and has a totally different direction,.Plus she's been working for what,5 years now? on that album and I'm totally happy for her she is breaking into mainstream :punk:

Never heard of Aimee Mann but I'll check her out :thumb_yello:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but i kind of feel like i have to defend Katy here - i don't really believe that she is manufactured.

Katy has said in her interviews that she has been working hard for (don't quote me exactly on this, i'm liable to forgetting numbers) 5 or 6 years to get to where she is now.

She is an excellent songwriter, truly original and a breath of fresh air compared to most of the songs we hear today (which is the same thing i said about Mika when i first heard him).

i don't think i could put Katy and Kate Nash in the same category (not that this is the place for any Kate Nash bashing, but i myself am not a fan). Ok, Nash's songs are quirky, but she tends to "waffle on" a bit whereas Katy is really clever with the way she gets across her lyrics.

Just my thoughts :wink2:

I can't wait for the album! :punk:

:punk:I love american music, when I was teenager I was listening Guns'n Roses, Pearl Jam. Soundgarden ecc., now among many others I like Killers which are certainly less musically prepared but have something to offer us. And Beth Ditto is my favourite female musician at the moment. About Perry I wanted to say that sometimes americans "build up" a singer according the trend of the moment: she may be musically well prepared but she isn't spontaneous as Nash, Adele, Winehouse, Allen, Ditto ecc. By now she seems too much "fashion victim" and superficial, I see her more on fashion mags or gossip blogs than on those musical; she also wrote a really stupid full of stereotypes song about gays, then another one about a lesbian kiss: it seems to me she does it just for provocation and make people talk about her, but she's not really brave and transgressive. What will the next song be about? "I go to bed with a horse"? That's all: I don't like her, you do.

There's no problem. Ciao da Roma, Italy!

that's hyper reductive and just showing that you didn't get anything about her and what she is.

you're totally entitled not to like her, as we all said, but what's your point coming all the way to here, digging up the thread from where it was just to post that ? that is what i call provocative, and not in a "comedian way" as katy does it (it's obvious that she's totally building a character with all this fashion and superficiality), just useless provocation.

about being spontaneous, if she's not, i don't know who is.

all that said, it's just my opinion. i like her, you don't. au revoir de Paris, france !

What can I say...I could not disagree more with you.

I think that Katy is very fresh and unique, and not manufactured at all. Comparing her with Kate Nash is like comparing broccoli with grapes: nothing to do with eachother, so why compare them?

I must say that, even though I like Kate Nash, I MUCH prefer Katy's music. And that is by very far.

The comments you made about her songs, to me just show that you got stuck in the superficial level of her music and that you just didn't get it. Which is fine, we all have different tastes, but I don't think that what you said about her songs is fair.

i do like Kate Nash but she's not very musical... I mean her music is basically chord sequences of 5 grade piano student level (most of the songs)

It doesn't mean it's not good,she's a great story teller and in total it sounds good,tho the Skeleton Songs does seem a tad stupid to me ,just my opinion here tho

Anyway,Katy is more musical and has a totally different direction,.Plus she's been working for what,5 years now? on that album and I'm totally happy for her she is breaking into mainstream :punk:

I totallyt agree with you Ioana

:punk:I love american music, when I was teenager I was listening Guns'n Roses, Pearl Jam. Soundgarden ecc., now among many others I like Killers which are certainly less musically prepared but have something to offer us. And Beth Ditto is my favourite female musician at the moment. About Perry I wanted to say that sometimes americans "build up" a singer according the trend of the moment: she may be musically well prepared but she isn't spontaneous as Nash, Adele, Winehouse, Allen, Ditto ecc. By now she seems too much "fashion victim" and superficial, I see her more on fashion mags or gossip blogs than on those musical; she also wrote a really stupid full of stereotypes song about gays, then another one about a lesbian kiss: it seems to me she does it just for provocation and make people talk about her, but she's not really brave and transgressive. What will the next song be about? "I go to bed with a horse"? That's all: I don't like her, you do.

I don't really like comparing Kate to Adele or Winehouse,because they can't really be compared,from the musical perspective

I do get your point,and the US tends to d what you said a lot,but fact is,nobody had called an ex "ur so gay" they just go "oh my hear aches,or feck you ,i hate u so much right now" so I appreciate her for being original about it

The horse thing would be interesting to write :roftl: Tho...who would actually admit to that? :naughty:

I totallyt agree with you Ioana

why thank you

photo perhaps?

soo I was sitting in class today and I hear someone go " I kissed a girl and I like ittttttt..." and I dropped everything and went "WHAT?!YOU KNOW WHO KATY PERRY IS?!" and she was like "..yeah,I looove her, I heard her on the radio they were like the #1 song in new york city katy perry on Z100"

when did this happen?!

soo I was sitting in class today and I hear someone go " I kissed a girl and I like ittttttt..." and I dropped everything and went "WHAT?!YOU KNOW WHO KATY PERRY IS?!" and she was like "..yeah,I looove her, I heard her on the radio they were like the #1 song in new york city katy perry on Z100"

when did this happen?!

yesterday :ap_rosetinted:

when did this happen?!

Yea, all this week I heard people singing that song. But they all thought I was weird when I knew her real name and not just the chorus.

Yea, all this week I heard people singing that song. But they all thought I was weird when I knew her real name and not just the chorus.

hahaha i kind of hate it when people know music and artists i like because they always assume u like the artist because everyone else likes it and stuff! hahaha

The Killers are less musically prepared? Have you even listened to either of their records?

Also if Katy Perry is one of Perez Hilton's zoo creatures then Mika qualifies as one as well, especially considering how Perez never wastes an opportunity to talk Mika up to the public.

The Killers are less musically prepared? Have you even listened to either of their records?

Also if Katy Perry is one of Perez Hilton's zoo creatures then Mika qualifies as one as well, especially considering how Perez never wastes an opportunity to talk Mika up to the public.

amanda i totally agree with u about the the killers i dont think they are good either! i am not into that type of rock music because it makes my ears bleed and i cant follow what they are saying and the meanings of there songs arent very poetic ( i think i am thinking about the right band lol) i also dont think they have very good voices... i like pop music more than any thing because it can be so many things at once it can be a story about anger, happiness, love, and murder all in one song! it can relate to many people and experiences.

it's a free world, you can think what you want of course... but kate nash and her are doing totally dofferent types of music (appart maybe from you're so gay, katy is more into rock and roll than ballads)...

i'm not sure (really not) that "manufactured" could apply to her...

and paris hilton with a guitar ??? :boxed: i must admitt i didn't expect that :roftl: give le ONE thing they have in common.

Madonna is afraid of no one.

Let's see when Aimee Mann gets on radio and large broadcast. if she ever does. we'll see.

and a question... coming here, on a mika fan website, finding the katy perry thread, cause it happens there is one, and posting that with 4 posts in hands ? good good... seems that you know how to make friends !

genius :mf_rosetinted:

i actually love katy! for me she isn`t manufactured...

her songs are ver creative and she got a lovely voice..

sorry for the girls who like kate nash but i find her voice kind of weird :boxed:

too simple maybe..

and about the killers.. i don`t like them either! hahhaha i have a very special taste for music

mika, queen, the fratellis, katy perry, groove armanda..

my opinion..

katy is not manufactured... and i love her :mf_rosetinted:

i kissed a girl rocks :punk:

amanda i totally agree with u about the the killers i dont think they are good either!

I don't think you caught her meaning. She was defending them against criticism. You're in trouble now. :wink2:

Actually, I was defending the Killers because I think they are a good example of a great current rock band, dearie. :)

I am not sure why you've had trouble following their lyrics....they certainly aren't a hard rock band with heavy metal influences or anything like that...and actually I'm not really of the opinion that all music needs to be poetic in nature.

As for their voices....Brandon actually has a fairly unique voice and he's the only one in the band that does the main vocals. Furthermore, the topics of their songs range quite a bit. For instance, the song "Jenny Was A Friend of Mine" is about a young woman being in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend.... and then you have the song "Bones" which is about something as simple as a relationship between a man and a woman and the feelings that go along with that. So I'd be willing to say that they have a fairly wide variety of topics in their songs..

I'm not so sure I agree with you about pop being all of those characteristics within one song.... if there were any genre of music that I would say is simple and on one track...I'd probably say it'd be pop.

Actually, I was defending the Killers because I think they are a good example of a great current rock band, dearie. :)

I am not sure why you've had trouble following their lyrics....they certainly aren't a hard rock band with heavy metal influences or anything like that...and actually I'm not really of the opinion that all music needs to be poetic in nature.

As for their voices....Brandon actually has a fairly unique voice and he's the only one in the band that does the main vocals. Furthermore, the topics of their songs range quite a bit. For instance, the song "Jenny Was A Friend of Mine" is about a young woman being in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend.... and then you have the song "Bones" which is about something as simple as a relationship between a man and a woman and the feelings that go along with that. So I'd be willing to say that they have a fairly wide variety of topics in their songs..

I'm not so sure I agree with you about pop being all of those characteristics within one song.... if there were any genre of music that I would say is simple and on one track...I'd probably say it'd be pop.

I also LOVE The Killers, I think that they are fantastic!! When I got their cd's a couple of years ago I could not stop listening to them even for one day.....I really love their music, and definitely disagree with the fact that they are "musically less" anything.

They're great!! :wub2:

"Bones" is fantastic....and so are the rest. I couldn't chose one, I like them all.

I especially liked Sam's Town, and out of it perhaps my fav was "Read My Mind".

You have the right to not like her ofcourse, but I strongly question why you came all the way to this thread to say it, because honestly, we who love Katy come here to talk about her in a positive way, not like this.

I wouldn't say Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen are very spontaneous, unless you count strolling around drunk or high as that.

You obviously didn't get the meaning of Ur so Gay, because it actually isn't about gays, but about the emo scene and her exboyfriend. And so what if her songs might be provocating? As a matter of fact I think it's good that people talk about gays and lesbians. Actually, the subject shouldn't be provocating but just normal, but since this world is so f**ked up, even songs like this are being labelled as provocating. And yes, if I was an artist, I would also do things to make people talk about me. But at least she does it musically and not just walk around without underwear or whatever. She's actually a pretty decent girl. You obviously have no clue about her and already have your judgement ready, so how can you be so sure she's not brave and transgressive?

Well actually, that song is not on her albums tracklist, but perhaps she will see it as a recommendation.

i propose we just cut off this discussion and go back to our usual worshipping :naughty: since obviously MrsBrightside was being purely provocative and making people talk about her... but is not really transgressive and brave... just my opinion :ap_rosetinted: