pitchforkmedia.com (19-07-2007): Patrick Wolf Vs. Mika: FITE!

Pamette

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/44306-patrick-wolf-vs-mika-fite

Patrick Wolf Vs. Mika: FITE!

Wolf drops strange new album hints

Like all young people, reluctant retiree and not-so-reluctant Burberry model Patrick Wolf loves him some MySpace. What better forum to disseminate cryptic, snotty messages about the goings-on in the life of a youthful pop phenom? It seems Wolf's been logging on quite a bit of late, posting a few recent items by turns intriguing and incendiary that we simply couldn't ignore.

In a blog post titled "Album Four," Patrick gives us a list of phrases, sans further context:

Octopus

Anenome

Sanctuary

Where I see

Oyster shell

Away from world

And jewelry

Im going to dive

So, further bollocks on that whole retirement from music thing then. Could Patrick be hinting at an aquatic-themed follow-up to this year's Best New Music recipient The Magic Position? Or is he just naming stuff he saw at the beach and teasing us news organizations hungry for more Wolf? Either way, it sorta rhymes, leading us to believe these could be lyrics. Sounds a bit like Daniel Johnston, no?

Things get a little more direct in a bulletin titled "Somerset House," written after his joint bill at the London venue with cloying pop dork Mika. Wolf needed but a single line to get his message across:

Mika is a twat

Yeah, I can see that. By way of explanation, Wolf further explains in another, longer bulletin titled "a translation":

and what I meant was

Please lets put an end to

over marketed, expensive heartless

tacky rubbish, autotune, airbrush

should i market myself to look OUTRAGEOUS and kooky or would

it be easier if I sold records by playing safe and serene

and for the family

to save more record sales. Cliff richard. enrique iglesias.

mutton dressed as lamb.

He goes on to write that what's needed in pop music is "gristle and bone and passion and soul." He speaks up for "organic music," demands "justic [sic] for good music and firebrands who refuse to compromise to be popular," and claims that "it's just a bad time for music and [he] can't stand on the sideline with a fake smile." Instead, he's gonna blog about it! Works for us.

Patrick's fighting the good fight on his current tour, which may or may not be his last. Let's hope not.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/44306-patrick-wolf-vs-mika-fite

Patrick Wolf Vs. Mika: FITE!

Wolf drops strange new album hints

Like all young people, reluctant retiree and not-so-reluctant Burberry model Patrick Wolf loves him some MySpace. What better forum to disseminate cryptic, snotty messages about the goings-on in the life of a youthful pop phenom? It seems Wolf's been logging on quite a bit of late, posting a few recent items by turns intriguing and incendiary that we simply couldn't ignore.

In a blog post titled "Album Four," Patrick gives us a list of phrases, sans further context:

Octopus

Anenome

Sanctuary

Where I see

Oyster shell

Away from world

And jewelry

Im going to dive

So, further bollocks on that whole retirement from music thing then. Could Patrick be hinting at an aquatic-themed follow-up to this year's Best New Music recipient The Magic Position? Or is he just naming stuff he saw at the beach and teasing us news organizations hungry for more Wolf? Either way, it sorta rhymes, leading us to believe these could be lyrics. Sounds a bit like Daniel Johnston, no?

Things get a little more direct in a bulletin titled "Somerset House," written after his joint bill at the London venue with cloying pop dork Mika. Wolf needed but a single line to get his message across:

Mika is a twat

Yeah, I can see that. By way of explanation, Wolf further explains in another, longer bulletin titled "a translation":

and what I meant was

and for the family

mutton dressed as lamb.

He goes on to write that what's needed in pop music is "gristle and bone and passion and soul." He speaks up for "organic music," demands "justic [sic] for good music and firebrands who refuse to compromise to be popular," and claims that "it's just a bad time for music and [he] can't stand on the sideline with a fake smile." Instead, he's gonna blog about it! Works for us.

Patrick's fighting the good fight on his current tour, which may or may not be his last. Let's hope not.

I left Patrick comments saying that I am first and foremost loyal to Mika, and if he is saying these things about him, then he has no place in my appreciations.

I found it so upsetting that he's done that,after all the public support that Mika has given him. Iam still fuming!!

So I also deleted him from my 'friends' list; it's the principle that matters to me.

My friends' friends are my friends, and my friends' enemies are my enemies.

I may be a bit radical but that is the way I feel life.

Sara.

I'm really shocked at this. I did really like one of Patrick's songs, but to be honest, i tried to humor him for Mika's sake.

Personally, i think Patrick Wolf is a complete knobhead to say the least.

Er, i've just changed my mind about what else to write because i do try very VERY hard on here not to swear!! :naughty:

Don't worry Lovely Locks, I LOVE YOU!:thumb_yello: and MFC loves you! :wub2::thumb_yello:

"and what I meant was

and for the family

mutton dressed as lamb."

music shouldnt have to be anything! music just is! i hate it when artists think that theyre the keepers of a special emerging "type" of music... but in reality, everyone's just different! and it works! so let it be!!!

ah sorry for the rant. i just hate how patrick wolfe thinks he can judge what mika does and the way he chooses to approach music. i mean, mika's obviously doing well!

Patrick Wolf is just jealous of Mika!!! I wuz sooooooooooo angry when i saw the bulletin on myspace!!!!! I still am!!!! :furious: Mika has done nothing but praise Patrick Wolf and then Patrick goes and calls him a twat!!! Patrick Wolf needs 2 GROW UP!!!!! :mad: