Mika, V Festival 2007 review

Droopsy

V Festival 2007 review

If there's a word that instantly springs to mind when thinking of Mika, it might be 'flamboyant'. Even before he takes the stage, we're already seeing a giant 'big girl' in frilly underwear being put in place for decoration.

This singer's voice is not to be underestimated. His ability to hit the high notes, perfectly and repeatedly, is unbelieveable.

What makes it more amazing, though, is just how masculine his voice is when he speaks. It's difficult to comprehend that these such contrasting voices are coming from the same person.

wide_eyed.jpgstriking_a_pose.jpgon_the_piano.jpgbig_girls_you_are_beautiful.jpg

dom.ready(function(){gallery.init();});

After kicking off with Take It Easy, it's not long before we see the reason for the saucy decoration - Big Girls starts up, complete with two dancers almost identical to the Big Girl giant doll... Well, except they're human sized.

It's undeniable that a performance from this guy is totally, utterly camp. He screams into the mic like a girl, bounces around to Love Today and boasts a falsetto better than some female singers. However, it is also a real treat to see live. The crowd simply do not stop moving and even all the kids on parents' shoulders look like they want to be here.

So what do you get with Mika? Well, you get one theatrical voice, one dramatic performance, an ecstatic audience and some truly fantastic stick-in-your-head pop songs. Oh, and let's not forget, you get to hear Grace Kelly one more time.

--> check the pics on the site:wink2:

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/mika/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes it more amazing, though, is just how masculine his voice is when he speaks.

Hmm, I should send that interview to the DJ who's doing the Lowlands highlights on 3FM right now. Ten minutes ago he said that he was convinced Mika was 'into men': 'You can tell it from his voice' (he referred to the interview last Friday). Oh well. :biggrin2:

Really nice interview BTW! :thumb_yello:

Nice review and great photos, though I am really tired of people making the "ooooooh, he's got falsetto, it's like a girl!" into a big deal.

Blue, are you sure that radio guy wasn't talking about something else than voice pitch? I mean, it's stupid either way, but surely he's known some gay men with very low, "masculine" voices, and some straight men with high ones...

--Jack

Hmm, how to explain... No, it was not so much about his voice pitch (only), it was about his way of talking in general. But the DJ mentioned his voice, and that 'darling' thing came along again, he imitated Mika in a sort of exaggerated way. Anyway, I concluded from his words that 'masculine' would be the last word to describe Mikas way of speaking.

(I know I took this sentence out of the context, but the word 'masculine' made me laugh a bit because I had just heard the comment on the radio.)

Great review!! Hooray!!!:punk:

What makes it more amazing, though, is just how masculine his voice is when he speaks. It's difficult to comprehend that these such contrasting voices are coming from the same person.

:roftl: I don't understand why people think his voice should be high!:biggrin2:

V Festival 2007 review

If there's a word that instantly springs to mind when thinking of Mika, it might be 'flamboyant'. Even before he takes the stage, we're already seeing a giant 'big girl' in frilly underwear being put in place for decoration.

This singer's voice is not to be underestimated. His ability to hit the high notes, perfectly and repeatedly, is unbelieveable.

wide_eyed.jpgstriking_a_pose.jpgon_the_piano.jpgbig_girls_you_are_beautiful.jpg

dom.ready(function(){gallery.init();});

After kicking off with Take It Easy, it's not long before we see the reason for the saucy decoration - Big Girls starts up, complete with two dancers almost identical to the Big Girl giant doll... Well, except they're human sized.

It's undeniable that a performance from this guy is totally, utterly camp. He screams into the mic like a girl, bounces around to Love Today and boasts a falsetto better than some female singers. However, it is also a real treat to see live. The crowd simply do not stop moving and even all the kids on parents' shoulders look like they want to be here.

So what do you get with Mika? Well, you get one theatrical voice, one dramatic performance, an ecstatic audience and some truly fantastic stick-in-your-head pop songs. Oh, and let's not forget, you get to hear Grace Kelly one more time.

--> check the pics on the site:wink2:

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/mika/

Very short review but excellent and positive. I am very happy for him. He deserves after all the hard work.

yes his voice is masculine when he speaks

but did anyone notice that he usually speak with a pretty soft and gentle voice in the beginning when he said "hi" / "how are u today?" in most of the interviews:blush-anim-cl: :blush-anim-cl: