Selective Mutism

lindor_love_today

ever herd of the movie four eyed monster?

its about a couple that met online and when they meet in person, they don't communicate verbally, only threw notes. -and it's a true story, the couple themselves made it, they basically just filmed their relationship.

it's an independent flim, it's pretty hard to find, i've yet to see it, but this just reminded me of it,haha.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on his website that Mika was bullied so badly when he was a kid he stopped talking. I was wondering if anyone else had ever experiences this themselves, or in someone they know?

My son Steve was bullied, and he developed a bad stammer. Because of this, he stopped speaking, except at home. But he's okay now. He teaches breakdancing and he's very confident. I thank God that he's okay, and also thank God, that Mika is okay. Steve and Mika are almost the same age. Steve was born June '83, Mika was born August '83.

I saw on his website that Mika was bullied so badly when he was a kid he stopped talking. I was wondering if anyone else had ever experiences this themselves, or in someone they know?

Very interesting! I totally have that. I've moved around a lot, and making friends is hard when you come in the middle of the school year. I remember once when I moved in middle school, I brought my lunch from home, and someone stole it! It happened a few times. I basically gave up trying to make friends. Now I'm in my 3rd high school (moved in the middle of the year), and I don't talk either. :no:I think on the average day I might say less than 10 words at school. I'm serious!!

Then towards the end of the school year, we had to do tons of presentations, and I presented. Everyone went so still, cus they have never heard m voice. And it doesn't help than my voice is high pitched. One girl told me at my first high school that I talked like a baby. She was so mean to me.:sad: I never did anything to her. And it so does not help with me being "gifted", makes it even worse! Hence, I keep my mouth shut. Selective mutism is a strong trait if you're shy I think. For me it is anyways.

I don't think I know anyone who was ever that severe, though myself and my sister were really quiet all through primary school (as in only talked when spoken to):blush-anim-cl:

Not for any bad reason though, we weren't bullied we were just fairly shy I suppose.

I suppose that is selective mutism in a way, though not for any reason like bullying.

interesting thread:thumb_yello:

I stopped talking when my mother maria died when I was 7 years old stopped speaking for 2 years I was very chatty before and I now my family and support workers say I could talk under water but I dont utter a word to anyone outside on bus or anyone outside family and support staff unless I with someone else people on bus and places always look at me like I weird or something I just tend to look back and moan to myself it makes me feel uncomfortable so I can relate to mika in not talking and shock when my mother died I couldnt cope so stopped speaking and getting bullied cos I was abit diffirent and like other things but I always myself and that I cant change and come more relaxed with myself since I left school at 13 tried college but lasted a day so had a 2 year break from it all but went to another college and now I have redid everything I missed at school and got good results which I very happy about I learnt more at home taught by a tutor than school and college scared me when I was 16 I abit childish and get upset easy but not as bad now I still young for my age but not as senitive Catherine

ever herd of the movie four eyed monster?

its about a couple that met online and when they meet in person, they don't communicate verbally, only threw notes. -and it's a true story, the couple themselves made it, they basically just filmed their relationship.

it's an independent flim, it's pretty hard to find, i've yet to see it, but this just reminded me of it,haha.

that sounds really interesting!

i've been bullied from the age of 6 until the age of 12. it was a horrible period . i almost never said anything at school because everything i said was a new reason to be bullied. and the teachers didn't listen anyway.the boys kicked me in my stomach so often.

because this i got stomach pains and was ill alot. i cried everyday when i walked out of school. i was very insecure (i still am but it's a little better now). when i was growing up i was a insecure girl and that brought me in alot of difficult situations.

the weird thing is i'm still ashamed to tell someone i was bullied , as if it was my own fault. but i know it's not and it still hurts. i still ask myself why , what have i done wrong.

the bad thing of this is that this affects your whole life and i still can't say i've learned from it, this hurts too much. it's weird i can accept my mother died but that this happened i still can't accept

Yeah. What Mika said about getting a singing teacher when he was out of school makes a lot of sense. It's surprising how much easier it is to sing than to speak!! I mean I can't carry a tune to save my life, but I'll sing away happily to Mika, cos it cheers me up and it's just easier!

I just noticed this thread,hmm..i read this article on how music can be therapeutic for bully victims,children with autisms(one who is not able to communicate or act properly due to improper neurotic conditions) and many other diseases or phobias that may cause one to stop talking.Notice how singing is more expressive rather than talking itself?it really makes sense now how mika can write such beautiful melodies,and entertaining ones too.where words fail,music speaks.take beethoven,he's deaf yet he writes such excellent music! i think if i had to make a choice between being deaf or not be able to talk,i'd choose deafness since its proven that one who is locked up in a dark room without any sounds for one week will die eventhough he is given all the other life necessities.that's what i personally think :wink2:

music has always helped me commucate how I feel as I have aspergers a form of ausiem and dont really express my feelings and bottle things up and get really upset I wasnt good at school stuff but picked up piano but I cant read music so I have to get someone to sing it on hum then I can do it but I know some songs on piano through that and remembering then keys but I cant read music either but I got a private music tutor ans he is good and just helps me learn withough music sheets he great tutor and doesnt get mad when I mess up

It has happened to me, 6-9th grade was one of the worst periods in my life.

Oh God, what a horrible period for many people! I talk to my friends and coworkers and very few people would choose to live through middle school again. 6th-9th grade was definitely the worst. I got made fun of for everything--the way I dressed, my haircut (I was growing out my bangs at the time), the music I liked, etc. People stole things from me, threw things at me on the bus, made fun of me. It was so horrible. I never stopped talking, though, and luckily I always had a few friends who stuck by me. Plus my family was great.

Oddly enough, in college I went through a rough period, and I stopped writing, which is the one thing I've always, always done. It's like I was too stressed, and my brain was too focused on all the crap going on to even think about stories and my imagination. I'm just starting to get back into writing now, but it's still more difficult than it used to be.

where words fail,music speaks.

Sooo true.

I used be very chatty and read ok before my mother died but when she died I stopped talking for 2 years and went in myself the bullying didnt help and went further in myself so my dad toke me out school at 7 and half and I got home schooled for quite a while but I loved learning piano I couldnt read the music still cant but he help me find another way by following the humming or putting colours stickers on the keys I still love playing piano and writing my own little songs for myself

Hiya! When you say that you think that you may have it, to what extent do you feel like this? I would tell someone you trust that you feel you may have this as you do not know 100% as it could simply be shyness or something. Hope this helps.

Hi :)

Well, I think it's more than shyness, because whenever i feel I have to speak, I start shaking, sweating and going red. When I'm at school, i only talk to my friends, or if I really have to. I can't buy things from shops and I find it hard to eat in public.

I don't think I've actually been bullied, it's just that whenever i try to say something, there's always someone who tells me to shut up, or tries to contrdict me.

I used to be very outgoing, and extroverted at primary school, because i felt it didn't matter what people thought of me. But when I moved to high-school, (I was 10) I felt really pressured to make everything perfect. I didn't want to embarrass myself.

I think it's also because i'm very insecure about my appearence. I feel like I don't deserve to talk to people, because they're better than me, and will tellme to shut up. I can't tell my mum, because she'll think I'm faking it to get attention.

I would only talk to my dad when I stopped talking for 2 years at 7 years old but not a word or sound to anyone st school teachers or other kids I sometimes like that now I wont say a word to anyone on the bus or anyone who ask me question if I dont know them I get intense fear of something dont really what it is just takes over but I will chat my head off to my support workers and the other people who live at my supported living place Catherine