What's been on my mind...hear me out.

Graduating in the National Honor Society is a pretty big thing in itself. It's nothing to bump down and mark it as 'good but not good enough.' It was a big deal for me since a teacher had to nominate you for it. You didn't just get in for good grades someone actually had to nominate you which I found odd that it works that way. Also being able to be around the 28th person to graduate out of a class close to 200 was a big thing. Then my college during my freshman year decided to set up the Sigma Alpha Pi National Honor Society of Leadership & Success and I along with a couple of friends were invited to be apart of the first group to join it and that was pretty big too. You get to wear something special at graduation and I'm not sure what else. I'm sad that I won't get to wear it as I'm not graduating from this college because I am leaving for a top photography college after this semester where I'm sure they don't have a society like that. Even though I don't get to be recognized as a member when I do graduate next year I'll still be proud because I know I am one. Even though graduating with an honors diploma is different the NHS is still far up there, not everyone gets into it. It still looks just as great on applications because it shows that you did the work and you are dedicated.

One thing that I tell people though is that people coming from high school into college find the grading differently. My friend spazzed out because he was ALWAYS an A student during high school and it changed in college because of the grading. Where I go the homework is worth a lot more than tests but I'm sure each college will be different.[/QUOTE]

I've seen people react the same way. It's as if college is a complete shock to them because the standards are so much higher. I don't get that at all.

I really don't either. My friend was freaking out because I think he got a B and it wasn't an A and he went into a whole spiel about how he's a straight A student. I looked at him like he had 15 heads because there's been a class here and there where I'll be happy with pulling off a C. As long as I try, not give up, and pass that's all that matters to me. :bleh: College to me is the exact opposite from high school. Standards are higher, you have more free time but a lot more work. I didn't live in my room much Sophomore year due to work and I was tempted to just bring my pillow and blanket with me and sleep in the Mac lab... and I have dozed off working there before. :naughty:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! I think quite a few of people consider college as a time to party and take it easy, which is completely not the case.

I know I've heard my bf tell me he was a straight A student in high school and I'd always say that things are different now. Granted, he is getting his degree in Zoology, so he def has a reason to complain! lol

Exactly! I think quite a few of people consider college as a time to party and take it easy, which is completely not the case.

I know I've heard my bf tell me he was a straight A student in high school and I'd always say that things are different now. Granted, he is getting his degree in Zoology, so he def has a reason to complain! lol

ooo zoology...tough one:blink:

* I'm off to study and write my college essays...wish me luck please:boxed: *

It'll be an all nighter...and I don't have a single red bull in the fridge:thumbdown:

Oh gosh I know! I could not tell you HOW many people during their freshman year leave or get dismissed from my college. The school accepts more people than they can place so some people have to live in a hotel for a while until some spaces free up and then eventually they end up losing about half the class. It's insane. I've seen a tv go flying out of a freshman dorm from the forth floor before because of drinking. It was a pretty scary night even my guy friend that I was sitting outside with ran before I even had a chance to pick up my stuff from off the bench. Thankfully no one was walking where the tv landed because normally people do.

Waaaaay too much partying happens at college and I think too many people get caught up in the scene really easily, especially freshmen. You get to get away from your parents, you're on your own, there's no one telling you what to do and what not to so why not party? Then they complain that they're not passing their classes because their drunk or high. Exactly why I've stayed away from that crowd.

Zoology sounds really cool. What does he plan on using his degree for, like what kind of job?

I friggin' hate Pre-Calc, and I have to take Calculus next year. :thumbdown: Chemistry not a problem for me though, I have to take AP Advanced Chemistry next year, which I heard is HARD.

I go to a public school and my grading scale is the same as yours....

I kinda know how you feel...I get all A's until I got a B+ for semester in Pre-Calc. I normally get a GPA of around 4.2 and was at one point number 1 in my class. Then Pre-Calc came around and screwed everything up! :naughty: The teacher is terrible and the tests are impossible. That class is notorious for kicking kids out of the honors program (You can't get anything lower than B-). Most kids in my class are taking it a second time to get themselves back into honors. Though we have to take 4 years of math, so they have to double up with Advanced Math or Probs. and Stats. because they can't take Calculus without get a B- or higher in Pre-Calc.

I worked pretty hard on all my other classes and ended up getting all A's, two A+'s and then a B+ (in guess what class?) with a 92.55. Of course, they couldn't round it up. :sneaky2: So now for the first time, I got a 3.978 or something like that.

I think there should be a support group for people taking pre-calc, honestly. :roftl:

I know a lot of people (my parents included) are like, "A B+ is still good." but they just don't get that, to me, it's not. It's like someone who gets mostly B's getting a C, y'know? It's so difficult (and stressful) anymore, especially with trying to get into college. We did our schedules for next year and all my friends are taking blow off classes while I'm taking the mandatory classes, plus an additional math and 3 or 4 science classes and a Spanish 5 class. :doh:

I agree with you, PJ. I think it's ridiculous just how much people waste their education. My first room mate always tried to get me to go out with her, but I never wanted to. Honestly, I can't stand being around drunk people.... :-S

He plans to be a professor of zoology, so teaching is his goal. He's also interested in doing research about animals. One summer he was tracking bobcats for a class. He enjoyed it a lot!

I agree with you, PJ. I think it's ridiculous just how much people waste their education. My first room mate always tried to get me to go out with her, but I never wanted to. Honestly, I can't stand being around drunk people.... :-S

He plans to be a professor of zoology, so teaching is his goal. He's also interested in doing research about animals. One summer he was tracking bobcats for a class. He enjoyed it a lot!

Honestly, I can't stand to be around drunk people too. I'm fine though if they're not rowdy and crazy but I'd just rather not be near.

My first roommate what some-what like that too. Except she never invited me because she knew I was against it. Instead she went around and one of the first things she asked all my friends was if they drink and that they should go party.

I'm sorry but alcohol and stupidity don't mix. I've lost a couple of friends this year because of it. Just so much stupidity... I've learned from them what mistakes to NOT make and how those mistakes effect others, even innocent people.

That is really awesome! I thought about going somewhere once so that I could work with animals... well besides wanting to be a vet when I was younger. :roftl: That must be neat to have homework where you get to track animals. It sure beats writing tons of essays and what-not. :naughty:

Me neither.

There was a quote in the our paper from a girl who went to my high school, and she's in college now, playing basketball and she is doing really well. They asked her about school and she said that school is always the top priority. She said, "I figured if I'm going to pay for it, I'm going to get as much out of it as I can."

I agree with you, Jen. My room mate was so excited that I was 21 when we first met. I said "Nope, sorry, I don't drink." lol She wasn't happy about that at all, especially since she was only 18.

Yeah, he had a lot of fun with it! He's a huge animal lover, so I am glad he's pursuing his interests. Plus, we're both going to be teachers, so we'll get summers off. :D

I agree with you, Jen. My room mate was so excited that I was 21 when we first met. I said "Nope, sorry, I don't drink." lol She wasn't happy about that at all, especially since she was only 18.

Yeah, he had a lot of fun with it! He's a huge animal lover, so I am glad he's pursuing his interests. Plus, we're both going to be teachers, so we'll get summers off. :D

Nice, she wanted you to supply to minors. What a way to make an impression huh? :boxed: I can't wait to be 21 just to have it be legal. My best friend and I both feel the same way. We just want it to be legal that way we can have casual drinks. I was looking a recipes today from a cookbook that I got for Christmas and my mom was sitting beside me. It was funny because I ran across two recipes I can't make because they include beer. I said, "wow, I can't believe there's actually recipes where I'm restricted and can't cook them... oh well, in a few months!" :roftl:

You both got very lucky that it works out perfectly and you both have summers off! That's going to be amazing! Just think too, he can teach you all about animals and if he works with some you'll get to pet them... that's if you can pet them. :bleh:

Yeah, that was her hope. I knew I'd get asked by people, so I was fully prepared to say no. The only alcohol I've had is wine. Truly, I can't stand alcohol because i hate the smell of it. If I don't like the smell, it ain't goin in my mouth. LOL

We didn't plan it on purpose, but it does work out well! And since he acts like a kid a lot of the time, my work as an elementary teacher comes in handy too. ;)

Yeah, that was her hope. I knew I'd get asked by people, so I was fully prepared to say no. The only alcohol I've had is wine. Truly, I can't stand alcohol because i hate the smell of it. If I don't like the smell, it ain't goin in my mouth. LOL

We didn't plan it on purpose, but it does work out well! And since he acts like a kid a lot of the time, my work as an elementary teacher comes in handy too. ;)

I find the smell of beer pretty nasty. When I was working at my security job I smelled something horrible for quite a while until I turned around and realized that there was empty beer cans in our recycling bin behind me because someone must have been busted. It reeked. I think I'm going to be more of a girly drink person. :naughty:

Well, that worked out perfectly again that your job will come in handy with dealing with him. :roftl: I'm sure he's probably joked around and giving you the "awww but mooom!" line. :naughty:

I can tell that you feel really passionately about this, but it's not the end of the world, no matter how much it feels like it.

I can see why you want to push yourself so much, because other people including your friends seem to be getting higher marks, but this isn't about competition. This is about YOU and the way YOU work. Some people just aren't good at maths. I'm not. I'm terrible. In fact, I'm absolute crap. BUT, the creative area is my forte. Singing, dancing, acting, writing, english in general. I'm no professional, there's no way I'm perfect, there's room for improvement, but we should concentrate on what we're good at and/or what interests us most.

I know you need this to pass with an honours diploma but can I ask: are you at school? or college? or university? I can understand if you need it bad for university but if you're at school you should seriously take a chill pill :roftl: i don't mean that badly hun. Over here in England, I seriously flopped my maths, but managed to do a maths course when I entered my first year of college. It may work differently where you are, but surely there must be a time where you can re-try?

Please remember that everyone is an individual. People excel at different things and you should stop comparing yourself to other people, including friends, because it's just going to cause conflict, jealousy, and low esteem on yourself.

You ARE smart, you're writing is great! Just because Maths and Chemistry or whatever it was isn't your strength, it doesn't make you thick. I can bet that a lot of those good at maths were as good at English as you (generally a lot of people are good at either or, not saying that people cant be good at both).

Remember your talents and the gits that you already possess. We're not programmed to be good at everything, because that wouldn't make us human.