Family Or Career?

Becky

So... I've seen lots of threads over the past few weeks about 'your dream career' and 'Do You Want Fame' and so on. And I was wondering what you put first? (Or for those that aren't old enough yet, what will you put first?)

I know you can have both, but what do you see as more important? And Why?

I personally will put family first. I always wanted a family of my own; husband, kids and whatnot. Of course, this is once I'm old enough and have a steady career but overall, I put family life first.:thumb_yello:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be family for me. I've always wanted to get married and have children of my own and that certainly will be more important to me than my career. I think raising children and being a homemaker is just as much an important accomplishment as having a career.

Am trying to juggle both at the moment:shocked:

Of course, my family comes first, but career is also very important. Therefore, I feel guilty very often for staying at work long hours.

I do not think I would be happy sitting at home with my baby even though I absolutely adore her. I also need to feel independent

It is a hard life. Everyone needs to find their own "legend" and follow it, I guess. I stumble a lot:roftl:

Me personally, I always dreamed of a big career. And so I would put my career first as well. I never wanted to get married or have children so...

But, the profession that I'm studying for (social work) is like the least "carreer"-orientated job in the world... From the first year already they were talking about how low the pay is etc. And really, it's like minimum wage. I'm still thinking of studying something else though so that can be fixed :thumb_yello:

It all depends a lot on the values you have, in our family, family-time was never important, my dad has a business as well so. I kinda got those values whilst growing up. Some people of course would do the opposit then..

Hmm..I'd love to have a family, there's nothing better than knowing you have a partner who supports you through hard times. And children are great. But I want to persue a career. Because I want to accomplish something for my own. So I don't know yet

• 1 month later...

For me, it's career first until I happen to have a family.

I don't want to get married until I'm at least thirty. I love children and I want some of my own, but I also want to have a chance to have my own life before I get into that. I don't want to go from being held back by parents to college to family and kids. I want some "me" time in there, which includes having about 10 years to do whatever the hell I want. Also, I want to be able to help provide for a family as well. I don't want to have to rely on a man to take care of me and possible children financially. I want to help and be a part of it, and this includes being focused on a job for at least a part of my life. I want to have a career so that when/if I do have a family, I will be able to then switch on over to being family oriented comfortably.