'Brit Awards take pick of the pops' -BBC NEWS

umm..just found this on the BBC..not sure what to make of it..:blink: Not that much in about Mika.

The Brit Award nominations have been announced, with pop acts Take That, Mika and Leona Lewis dominating proceedings.

Does the shortlist reflect the best of British music in 2007?

After being ruled by rock acts for the past two years, pop music has regained the upper hand at the Brit Awards.

Fifteen years after their first prize at the ceremony, Take That are favourites to scoop glory on awards night on 20 February.

Their nominations include best British group, where they join Girls Aloud in a face-off with indie heavyweights Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs.

The Kaiser Chiefs won three Brit trophies in 2006

"That's fine, we're all popular, people are buying the records," says Kaiser Chiefs singer Ricky Wilson, who said he was a fan of Take That and Girls Aloud. "These awards should go to people who are popular."

Meanwhile, the Arctic Monkeys are the sole rock representatives in the battle for best British album.

Their competition includes Leona Lewis, the X Factor winner whose album Spirit beat the Arctics' own record for the fastest-selling debut in UK history.

The Daily Telegraph's rock critic Neil McCormick said it was "one of the most awful-looking lists of uninteresting, unexciting talent I've ever seen".

"To see Leona Lewis in album of the year is just depressing beyond comprehension," he says.

"She's had one decent single, she's a TV reality star, it's really got nothing to do with the shape of music in the year.

"But it does kind of show you it wasn't a very good year for music and therefore these pop characters were the only ones that emerged newly and freshly out of the year."

Stuart Clarke, talent editor for industry bible Music Week, said there was no shortage of good new music in 2007 - but there were not as many big sellers.

"So when you do get artists like Leona and Mika and they sell particularly well, they dominate to an extent," he says.

"But certainly compared to the year before, pop in 2007 felt like it was very much on the up. Leona's [released] a great, amazing album."

The chairman of the Brit Awards committee, Sony BMG label boss Ged Doherty, describes it as a "very exciting list this year, very varied".

He says: "It reflects what was going on in music last year - you've got everything from Mika, Take That and Leona Lewis on one hand all the way through to the Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon and all points in between."

Despite having the year's best-selling album in the UK, it was released at the end of 2006 and earned her nominations last year - meaning she was not eligible this time.

Radiohead, whose In Rainbows was one of the most critically-acclaimed and talked-about releases of 2007, did not qualify either.

The album was not initially eligible for the charts because it was released through the band's own website.

To be nominated for best British group or best British album, award rules say you must have reached the top 75 by the cut-off date of 26 November.

Radiohead did not reach the charts until In Rainbows got a full CD release on New Year's Eve - meaning the band may well feature in next year's nominations instead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7189076.stm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

umm..just found this on the BBC..not sure what to make of it..:blink: Not that much in about Mika.

The Brit Award nominations have been announced, with pop acts Take That, Mika and Leona Lewis dominating proceedings.

After being ruled by rock acts for the past two years, pop music has regained the upper hand at the Brit Awards.

Fifteen years after their first prize at the ceremony, Take That are favourites to scoop glory on awards night on 20 February.

Their nominations include best British group, where they join Girls Aloud in a face-off with indie heavyweights Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs.

"That's fine, we're all popular, people are buying the records," says Kaiser Chiefs singer Ricky Wilson, who said he was a fan of Take That and Girls Aloud. "These awards should go to people who are popular."

Meanwhile, the Arctic Monkeys are the sole rock representatives in the battle for best British album.

Their competition includes Leona Lewis, the X Factor winner whose album Spirit beat the Arctics' own record for the fastest-selling debut in UK history.

The Daily Telegraph's rock critic Neil McCormick said it was "one of the most awful-looking lists of uninteresting, unexciting talent I've ever seen".

"To see Leona Lewis in album of the year is just depressing beyond comprehension," he says.

"She's had one decent single, she's a TV reality star, it's really got nothing to do with the shape of music in the year.

"But it does kind of show you it wasn't a very good year for music and therefore these pop characters were the only ones that emerged newly and freshly out of the year."

Stuart Clarke, talent editor for industry bible Music Week, said there was no shortage of good new music in 2007 - but there were not as many big sellers.

"So when you do get artists like Leona and Mika and they sell particularly well, they dominate to an extent," he says.

"But certainly compared to the year before, pop in 2007 felt like it was very much on the up. Leona's [released] a great, amazing album."

The chairman of the Brit Awards committee, Sony BMG label boss Ged Doherty, describes it as a "very exciting list this year, very varied".

He says: "It reflects what was going on in music last year - you've got everything from Mika, Take That and Leona Lewis on one hand all the way through to the Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon and all points in between."

Despite having the year's best-selling album in the UK, it was released at the end of 2006 and earned her nominations last year - meaning she was not eligible this time.

Radiohead, whose In Rainbows was one of the most critically-acclaimed and talked-about releases of 2007, did not qualify either.

The album was not initially eligible for the charts because it was released through the band's own website.

To be nominated for best British group or best British album, award rules say you must have reached the top 75 by the cut-off date of 26 November.

Radiohead did not reach the charts until In Rainbows got a full CD release on New Year's Eve - meaning the band may well feature in next year's nominations instead.

I've added a comment about our wonderful Mika. I think the BBC are Mika haters. My comment will be posted after the mods have looked it over.

Vote for Mika to win best single (now) and Breakthrough act (soon)

http://www.brits.co.uk

Love today, from Marilyn

The more I think about it the more amazed I am Leona has got these nominations, it certainly seems strange...:sneaky2: ONE single and a dodgy album does not a Brit winner make.

What a strange article..once again, as with many other things I've seen recently, Mika is mentioned in an almost half-hearted way and then completely glossed over/disregarded, as if they are trying to pretend he does not actually exist, or he is a figment of the public's imagination :blink:

I saw the same thing on Planet Sound (ITV teletext) the other day.

I'd rather they slagged him off I think!

The more I think about it the more amazed I am Leona has got these nominations, it certainly seems strange...:sneaky2: ONE single and a dodgy album does not a Brit winner make.

What a strange article..once again, as with many other things I've seen recently, Mika is mentioned in an almost half-hearted way and then completely glossed over/disregarded, as if they are trying to pretend he does not actually exist, or he is a figment of the public's imagination :blink:

I saw the same thing on Planet Sound (ITV teletext) the other day.

I'd rather they slagged him off I think!

The Sun wasn't content with just glossing him over, but had to include a bitter remark in their article too.

"And fair play to the academy for nominating the brilliant RICHARD HAWLEY in the Best Male category.

He will probably lose to Mika though — which will be a complete travesty."

Right :boxed:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article687288.ece

The Sun wasn't content with just glossing him over, but had to include a bitter remark in their article too.

"And fair play to the academy for nominating the brilliant RICHARD HAWLEY in the Best Male category.

He will probably lose to Mika though — which will be a complete travesty."

Right :boxed:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article687288.ece

This really annoys me, because Richard Hawley has had several albums out over the years, and he's not been nominated until now.

So the travesty is not that he is up against Mika and will most likely lose out to him, but that he has been totally ignored by the Brits committee in the past and now they wheel him out to make up the numbers. It's disgusting, how he is being treated. So if the Sun want to have a go at someone, have a go at the committee for ignoring him in the past, and not Mika for just being here now.

I SAID IT WAS WRONG THAT LEONA LEWIS IS NOMINATED WHEN SHE WON X FACTOR AND THEN DISAPPEARED FOR MONTHS, THEN THE PUBLICITY SIMON GAVE HER GOT HER SOME SALES!:ban:

I SAID WHY IS IT A TRAVESTY IF MIKA WINS, WHEN HE HAS THE BEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE WORLD AND IS NOW WORLD FAMOUS, AND GOT THERE THROUGH HARD WORK AND TALENT:wink2:

Love today, from Marilyn:punk:

Leona isn't really a "breakthrough" act in technical terms is she? People in the UK became familiar with her quite a while ago, and when her album was released it wasn't as though it was sudden and unexpected. A lot of people were actually waiting for it.

I SAID IT WAS WRONG THAT LEONA LEWIS IS NOMINATED WHEN SHE WON X FACTOR AND THEN DISAPPEARED FOR MONTHS, THEN THE PUBLICITY SIMON GAVE HER GOT HER SOME SALES!:ban:

I SAID WHY IS IT A TRAVESTY IF MIKA WINS, WHEN HE HAS THE BEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE WORLD AND IS NOW WORLD FAMOUS, AND GOT THERE THROUGH HARD WORK AND TALENT:wink2:

Love today, from Marilyn:punk:

Good for you. It is kind of stupid of all these people to try and pretend he isn't there, when you look at his record sales all around the world.

And the BBC, wasn't it them that hailed him their one to look out for in 2007? What happened, did they change their minds and now want to forget him?

Oh, what a surprise, the chairman of the Brits committee is the head of Sony BMG, Leona Lewis's record label!

:shocked:

That sounds fixed... Lily Allen claimed last year it was fixed, but back then the commitee was dominated Universal....

So this year it's Sony.....:blink: ( I wonder how Tommy Mottola parted with Sony... I hope amicably, because of his protegee...)

I think they simply don't know where to place him... he doesn't fit into any box...:mf_rosetinted:

PS: Anyone who thinks Mika is in the same basket as TT and LL should forget about his job as a music journalist...

Leona isn't really a "breakthrough" act in technical terms is she? People in the UK became familiar with her quite a while ago, and when her album was released it wasn't as though it was sudden and unexpected. A lot of people were actually waiting for it.

You are absolutely right!

She hardly 'broke through' by her own hard work did she, like Mika, or some of the other artists nominated in that category. She won a talent show, was groomed, given a song and plugged by Cowell to within an inch of her life. If that's what Breakthrough means in music these days then I despair!!

I'm not saying she doesn't have talent, but just that she hasn't yet earned her right to a Brit, in my opinion.

She hardly 'broke through' by her own hard work did she, like Mika, or some of the other artists nominated in that category. She won a talent show, was groomed, given a song and plugged by Cowell to within an inch of her life. If that's what Breakthrough means in music these days then I despair!!

I'm not saying she doesn't have talent, but just that she hasn't yet earned her right to a Brit, in my opinion.

I double that....:cool:

Th British public has already chosen her as their favourite among those pitiful people who were selected to participate in that karaoke show...

Once voted for as a nation's favourite there was no risk in investing money in her and pay people like Walter Afanasieff to write for her and create a British Mariah Carey (with no participation required at all from her side other than singing and waiting for her makeup do be done for the photo shoot).:sneaky2:

Fairy tale dream... I don't mind if she runs away with Simon Cowell in the end but the Brit Awards should be given for real work..:mf_rosetinted:

Boo!:thumbdown:

I kinda agree with the bit about Leona, as I'm not too keen on her (she just bores me to death!!!) , but the fact that he's comparing her to Mika to an extent, I find incredible...

Mika is at a totally different level than her:boxed:

All in all I really don't like the implication that this writer is making ,that pop is "bad" and that the people who were nominated were "uncool"

Sigh...

she doesn't even write her own songs does she, (and her shy "I don't think I am a good singer" act was just that, an act cos she went to Italia Conti performing school in London so she will have KNOWN she had a great voice. (I reckon that was all just a publicity stunt to get the public on her side for more votes). So your right, she just has NOT earned the right to a Brit award yet, it really does look like it could be fixed and if SHE wins at all then we will know it is and that talent doesn't come into it, it's more to do with how much dosh your promoters/managers/etc etc can throw around to get their artist where they want them to be and bet they even pay off the big wigs :sneaky2: pfft grumble grumble.