Concert Feedback for Mika - please be constructive

zoots14

I can see your point of view but I don't see how that would work. For example Lauren didn't know she was going to get pulled up on stage, it was a decision by Mika when he saw her in the crowd, how could they have had her backstage? Pull her out from the queue outside? But then that wouldn't be Mika's decision really, would it? (sorry thinking outloud to myself there) and would it be fair to someone to miss the rest of the show that they have paid to see?

Also I have never heard of anyone being let in early because of them being dressed up! When has that ever happened?

Personally I have never been envious of other people getting pulled up on stage (the only people I've seen being pulled up were from the MFC tho!) I've just been really pleased for them, but guess that hoping that everyone feels that way is unrealistic!

But I think that perhaps after the problems this has cause it would be safer for everyone not to pull people up from the audience from here on.

That is what I meant - he simply shouldn't get people on stage. I do not know Lauren and I didn't know that she had been dressed up and been on stage and this is not meant to offend her but Mika should not have done it.

And I'm really wondering why you have never heard of people being let in earlier to be first row centre (although they turned up later and their "rightful" place in the audience was DEFINITELY NOT first row centre) - it was the case in London and you were there :blink: and EVERYONE was severely pissed because of what happened. I'm not going to point at anyone here but what happened in London was fricking unfair for those that had already been queuing for HOURS and then some dressed up fans turned up in the afternoon and were allowed to wait in front of Hammersmith Apollo and then let in earlier to be first row centre because "Mika wanted them on stage".

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh I see.

*takes deep breath*

I assume you are talking about Marc (aka Holy Johnny). This has been a very common misconception and I really don't know who started this but I'm not going to argue about it.

Marc is one of my best friends, we had been to 4 Mika gigs together and have queued for hours everytime. He had been pulled up on stage on 3 of those occasions, never by prior arrangement. He has spend no more time with Mika or Mika's crew than the average fan.

The reason that he was let in early in London was NOTHING to do with the way he was dressed or the fact that he had previously been on stage. Mika did not know he was going to be in the audience prior to him arriving on the day.

We were let in early because of me. Because when I bought my tickets for London for the original gigs my legs were not causing me too many problems and I felt that I would be able to cope with queuing. Unfortunatley I had a relaspe before the gigs which meant I was unable to stand without support. I phoned the venue and they very kindly agreed to let me in ahead of the crowd so i could stand at the barrier for support. Marc was there as my carer. As a registered disabled person i could have got him in for fre as my carer but we have never done that as we both feel that it would be highly unfair to other fans, he's as much of a fan as anybody and wanted to be there.

I really hope that this clears the issue up as it has already driven him from posting and I think it unlikely that he will ever want to come to a gig with me again. Which in turn also means I'm not sure I will be able to attend more gigs.

All this could have been avoided if someone had taken the time to simply ask us. We didn't want to join the queue then leave it and go in early as we felt this would be kind of rubbing the other fans noses in it, perhaps that was the wrong decision.

Anyway, just so you know.

Ahhh I see.

*takes deep breath*

I assume you are talking about Marc (aka Holy Johnny). This has been a very common misconception and I really don't know who started this but I'm not going to argue about it.

Marc is one of my best friends, we had been to 4 Mika gigs together and have queued for hours everytime. He had been pulled up on stage on 3 of those occasions, never by prior arrangement. He has spend no more time with Mika or Mika's crew than the average fan.

The reason that he was let in early in London was NOTHING to do with the way he was dressed or the fact that he had previously been on stage. Mika did not know he was going to be in the audience prior to him arriving on the day.

We were let in early because of me. Because when I bought my tickets for London for the original gigs my legs were not causing me too many problems and I felt that I would be able to cope with queuing. Unfortunatley I had a relaspe before the gigs which meant I was unable to stand without support. I phoned the venue and they very kindly agreed to let me in ahead of the crowd so i could stand at the barrier for support. Marc was there as my carer. As a registered disabled person i could have got him in for fre as my carer but we have never done that as we both feel that it would be highly unfair to other fans, he's as much of a fan as anybody and wanted to be there.

I really hope that this clears the issue up as it has already driven him from posting and I think it unlikely that he will ever want to come to a gig with me again. Which in turn also means I'm not sure I will be able to attend more gigs.

All this could have been avoided if someone had taken the time to simply ask us. We didn't want to join the queue then leave it and go in early as we felt this would be kind of rubbing the other fans noses in it, perhaps that was the wrong decision.

Anyway, just so you know.

I knew that. And I have an opinion about it.

But my opinion on this does not belong here because this wouldnt be constructive concert feedback for Mika apart from "Don't let anyone on stage.".

I knew that. And I have an opinion about it.

That's fine, you are allowed your opinion but why if you knew that was the case did you claim people were being let in early because of the way they were dressed or because Mika wanted them to be onstage? Clearly if you knew what I have just explained you also knew your previous statement to be false?

That's fine, you are allowed your opinion but why if you knew that was the case did you claim people were being let in early because of the way they were dressed or because Mika wanted them to be onstage? Clearly if you knew what I have just explained you also knew your previous statement to be false?

"No", because that is what I was told as well (and not only by one person but by several).

"No", because that is what I was told as well (and not only by one person but by several).

And it would appear that even when told the truth by the very person involved you chose to believe the assumptions of others. Perhaps next time I should hang my disabled badge around my neck instead of a flashing heart?

*sighs*

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound nasty but I had really hoped that fellow fans would understand, had I been capable I would have queued from whatever time I had to, as I have done previously. I'm just pleased that those who matter (aka Mika and his band) know the truth.

I would actually be more in favour of Marc being front and centre because Mika wanted him on stage. I like the Holy Johnny thing.

I don't understand the policy of giving disabled concertgoers and their carers the spot of their choice. It seems to me if someone is unable to make it into the venue with the crowd then they are in no position to withstand the physical pressure of that same crowd bearing down on them when they are front and centre.

People who can't withstand the pressure of being front and centre for any reason should move to another area rather than making demands on Mika and the rest of the audience to change their behaviour.

A Mika concert is a Mika concert. People jump up and down, they lunge for him when he comes near, they scramble over the barriers to get on stage for Lollipop. That's the deal. We all know it going in and if you can't hack it you shouldn't be at the front.

All of that aside, the least people can do in that situation is have their carer stand behind them so they are not taking another front row position from people who have queued all day. Maybe that was the case here, I don't know. But I heard many people complaining that there were carers front and centre at these gigs.

I would actually be more in favour of Marc being front and centre because Mika wanted him on stage. I like the Holy Johnny thing.

I don't understand the policy of giving disabled concertgoers and their carers the spot of their choice. It seems to me if someone is unable to make it into the venue with the crowd then they are in no position to withstand the physical pressure of that same crowd bearing down on them when they are front and centre.

People who can't withstand the pressure of being front and centre for any reason should move to another area rather than making demands on Mika and the rest of the audience to change their behaviour.

A Mika concert is a Mika concert. People jump up and down, they lunge for him when he comes near, they scramble over the barriers to get on stage for Lollipop. That's the deal. We all know it going in and if you can't hack it you shouldn't be at the front.

All of that aside, the least people can do in that situation is have their carer stand behind them so they are not taking another front row position from people who have queued all day. Maybe that was the case here, I don't know. But I heard many people complaining that there were carers front and centre at these gigs.

I still can't see the logic with the whole disabled priority thing...

Even if it was me who was disabled and allowed to go in early I wouldn't park myself in the front row centre position knowing that there were people queuing for the last 15+ hours for that spot. (The barrier goes right the way to the edges of the stage, not just the centre)

There are disabled areas in the venues and there are seats too. If your disabled, use them, if not - queue and run for your spot the same as everybody else. It seems like common courtesy to me...

As for the getting people up on stage thing, based on my experiences I don't see a problem with it. In London when he got us all to go on I didn't think the crowd were pushing very much or climbing over each other to get on but I was over the barriers in no time (because of the reports of what happened in the US gigs) to escape whatever might happen. Turns out there was nothing to worry about and we all had a good time on stage for those couple of nights.

And the 'only getting selected people up' bit, that's fine too. When he did that in Birmingham last May it wasn't planned. He didn't have us waiting backstage for the whole gig like the lollipop girls etc. He simply said in between two songs "I want you *point*, you *point, you, *point and you *point* up on stage with me. And we were lifted over by security and briefed backstage before going on for the song.

A combination of selecting people and the occasional stage invasion would be fine with me...Providing the front row isn't full of disabled people the security in the UK at gigs are usually able to control people well enough to stop anyone (Mika or fans) getting hurt.

And the 'only getting selected people up' bit, that's fine too. When he did that in Birmingham last May it wasn't planned. He didn't have us waiting backstage for the whole gig like the lollipop girls etc. He simply said in between two songs "I want you *point*, you *point, you, *point and you *point* up on stage with me. And we were lifted over by security and briefed backstage before going on for the song.

Cool. That's so awesome!!!

Aaahhh...Lollipop Girls...my dream *cough look at signature cough*

My 2 cents about the pulling people on stage thing-

I think its awesome. Its alot of fun, especially for those lucky few that get chosen. I do agree a free for all could be dangerous, so I think only those that Mika pulls up or pre-selects should go up on stage.

As for those who say that nobody should go up because it makes others jealous, well, i say that is extremely silly. Mika himself is choosing people, and those lucky chosen get to have an amazing experience. Just because you were not chosen, doesn't mean you should deny the experience to others. Personally, the next concert I go to, I'm going to wait for hours to get a spot at the front, and hope that Mika does pick me out of the crowd to go on stage at the end. But, if I don't stand out to him, I'm not going to be ticked off at those that do.

As the "priority spots for 'disabled' people" topic has come up again, I'll give my 2 cents on it.

I agree with Petra, Christine and Jennie's views on this.

I would personally not have the face to walk in knowing that others have been queuing for hours, and REPEATEDLY take up the best position in the house. Sorry, but I see things differently.

While we're on this subject, and as you keep defending it, I will also say that if you have all this trouble standing to queue even for a bit, I would expect you not to be standing and walking around for 2 hours after the gig has finished, trying to see Mika.

You will notice that people who have trouble walking or standing actually try to get a bit of rest or even sit down instead of just standing for hours on end.

So yes, I don't think that much sympathy is going to come you way from those who were there to see this.

Sorry for saying it as it is, but I'm a bit fed up with the constant "justifying" of it that you seem to be doing. We were all there to see.

I think its awesome. Its alot of fun, especially for those lucky few that get chosen. I do agree a free for all could be dangerous, so I think only those that Mika pulls up or pre-selects should go up on stage.

As for those who say that nobody should go up because it makes others jealous, well, i say that is extremely silly. Mika himself is choosing people, and those lucky chosen get to have an amazing experience. Just because you were not chosen, doesn't mean you should deny the experience to others. Personally, the next concert I go to, I'm going to wait for hours to get a spot at the front, and hope that Mika does pick me out of the crowd to go on stage at the end. But, if I don't stand out to him, I'm not going to be ticked off at those that do.

heh I just climbed on stage...:roftl::roftl:

Personally, the next concert I go to, I'm going to wait for hours to get a spot at the front, and hope that Mika does pick me out of the crowd to go on stage at the end. But, if I don't stand out to him, I'm not going to be ticked off at those that do.

That was quite awhile ago that he was picking people. Since the stage invasions started in North America, fans have just been climbing over the barriers whenever they can.

I'm just pleased that those who matter (aka Mika and his band) know the truth.

"those who matter (aka Mika and his band)"?

I guess this explains many things then...

I don't think that anyone is jealous at people going on stage here, this must be a misunderstanding...

Speaking for myself, I personally don't have the desire to go up, hence why when it happened in London, even though I was in the front row and could have gone over the barrier, like people next to me, I chose not to, as I didn't really fancy it.

Also, like Christine said, it was a matter of everyone going for it and not individual people being "selected".

And it would appear that even when told the truth by the very person involved you chose to believe the assumptions of others. Perhaps next time I should hang my disabled badge around my neck instead of a flashing heart?

*sighs*

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound nasty but I had really hoped that fellow fans would understand, had I been capable I would have queued from whatever time I had to, as I have done previously. I'm just pleased that those who matter (aka Mika and his band) know the truth.

You call us fellow fans and then say that we do not matter?

I still can't see the logic with the whole disabled priority thing...

Even if it was me who was disabled and allowed to go in early I wouldn't park myself in the front row centre position knowing that there were people queuing for the last 15+ hours for that spot. (The barrier goes right the way to the edges of the stage, not just the centre)

There are disabled areas in the venues and there are seats too. If your disabled, use them, if not - queue and run for your spot the same as everybody else. It seems like common courtesy to me...

I would personally not have the face to walk in knowing that others have been queuing for hours, and REPEATEDLY take up the best position in the house. Sorry, but I see things differently.

While we're on this subject, and as you keep defending it, I will also say that if you have all this trouble standing to queue even for a bit, I would expect you not to be standing and walking around for 2 hours after the gig has finished, trying to see Mika.

You will notice that people who have trouble walking or standing actually try to get a bit of rest or even sit down instead of just standing for hours on end.

So yes, I don't think that much sympathy is going to come you way from those who were there to see this.

Sorry for saying it as it is, but I'm a bit fed up with the constant "justifying" of it that you seem to be doing. We were all there to see.

We all have problems or issues with doing certain things and we have to adjust to that. For instance, I would LOVE to go backpacking in New Zealand or whereever, I would love to do certain things but I simply CANNOT. I am not disabled but due to a physical problem I have (which is not of interest here), I cannot do certain things. I have to fricking adjust to that and I'm jealous of everyone who can do what I can't do.

If someone cannot stand in a queue due to a disability one knows about, then one has to adjust to that. Full stop. Brixton and Hammersmith BOTH had seating areas and areas for disabled persons so where is the problem to get tickets for THESE areas from the beginning on? If I know that something with my legs can happen due to a disability, I DO NOT get tickets for general admission. Isnt this even irresponsible with regard to one's own body to NOT get seating tickets then? (IMO)

If you had been queuing from 9AM like the others, if you had been among the first 20 people in the queue, I'm pretty sure that there wouldnt have been such an issue with getting you in before everyone else. A friend of mine was let in earlier as well but she had been queuing with us since 9:30AM! She had a sore foot & crutches and couldnt walk properly and she didnt get to the very best spot in the venue (the first row centercentercenter) because she said that she had not been the very first in the queue and that she would feel bad if she just went there although it wasnt her "proper" place.

You say that you had to be first row center in order to lean against the barrier - there were numerous barriers in the Apollo as well as in the Brixton Academy and I am 100% sure that it would have been less dangerous and less pushy behind every other barrier in the whole room. We had been queuing for hours and hours and when we got in and took our spot in the first row, it took about 20 more minutes (!) until we had a second row behind us! And the guys behind us even said that they had just come from dinner and didnt queue at all (:sneaky2:). Getting a spot behind a barrier ANYWHERE in the venue would not have been a problem. Sienna said she couldnt cope with the masses in the front row and so he prefered to get a spot behind one of the other barriers and she said that she really enjoyed the show like that.

You say you cannot queue for hours but then you are obviously able to stand for one hour in the venue, watch the opening act, watch the show and then spend another two hours outside of the venue, walking around? We were all there and we saw it.

If you cannot queue and need a carer to stand, then get a ticket for the balcony. If you aren't capable of standing in a line, then you aren't capable of standing in a mass of people at at Mika gig. And, after all, you turned up in the afternoon and you should have been aware that the spots in first row center werent "yours" - no disability replaces the act of common decency and morals, no matter what disability you have, no matter how severe, it doesn't mean you deserve the front row over people who have stood in line for hours. Just - no!

• 1 month later...
You call us fellow fans and then say that we do not matter?

We all have problems or issues with doing certain things and we have to adjust to that. For instance, I would LOVE to go backpacking in New Zealand or whereever, I would love to do certain things but I simply CANNOT. I am not disabled but due to a physical problem I have (which is not of interest here), I cannot do certain things. I have to fricking adjust to that and I'm jealous of everyone who can do what I can't do.

If someone cannot stand in a queue due to a disability one knows about, then one has to adjust to that. Full stop. Brixton and Hammersmith BOTH had seating areas and areas for disabled persons so where is the problem to get tickets for THESE areas from the beginning on? If I know that something with my legs can happen due to a disability, I DO NOT get tickets for general admission. Isnt this even irresponsible with regard to one's own body to NOT get seating tickets then? (IMO)

If you had been queuing from 9AM like the others, if you had been among the first 20 people in the queue, I'm pretty sure that there wouldnt have been such an issue with getting you in before everyone else. A friend of mine was let in earlier as well but she had been queuing with us since 9:30AM! She had a sore foot & crutches and couldnt walk properly and she didnt get to the very best spot in the venue (the first row centercentercenter) because she said that she had not been the very first in the queue and that she would feel bad if she just went there although it wasnt her "proper" place.

You say that you had to be first row center in order to lean against the barrier - there were numerous barriers in the Apollo as well as in the Brixton Academy and I am 100% sure that it would have been less dangerous and less pushy behind every other barrier in the whole room. We had been queuing for hours and hours and when we got in and took our spot in the first row, it took about 20 more minutes (!) until we had a second row behind us! And the guys behind us even said that they had just come from dinner and didnt queue at all (:sneaky2:). Getting a spot behind a barrier ANYWHERE in the venue would not have been a problem. Sienna said she couldnt cope with the masses in the front row and so he prefered to get a spot behind one of the other barriers and she said that she really enjoyed the show like that.

You say you cannot queue for hours but then you are obviously able to stand for one hour in the venue, watch the opening act, watch the show and then spend another two hours outside of the venue, walking around? We were all there and we saw it.

If you cannot queue and need a carer to stand, then get a ticket for the balcony. If you aren't capable of standing in a line, then you aren't capable of standing in a mass of people at at Mika gig. And, after all, you turned up in the afternoon and you should have been aware that the spots in first row center werent "yours" - no disability replaces the act of common decency and morals, no matter what disability you have, no matter how severe, it doesn't mean you deserve the front row over people who have stood in line for hours. Just - no!

I can't balence very well, so when I went to Brixton, I booked a seat in the balcony. It was a great seat and my husband and I had a great time. I was looking down at all the people standing, and I wouldn't have stood a chance of keeping to my feet if I'd been down there. I didn't expect special treatment, like, going in early. I waited my turn, and had a great experience, dispite my disability.