Concert Feedback for Mika - please be constructive

zoots14

Mika has said several times in interviews that he values the immediate feedback that the internet has provided him. He was able to get off the ground by promoting himself online, and able to see what was working or not working by the reactions he was getting (probably from many of you who have been there since the start!).

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that provides him with more of that constructive feedback in one spot... hoping that either he still comes here occasionally, or that people who are close to him do.

This is meant to be a thread for likes/dislikes of things you've seen in his concerts, or suggestions you have for upcoming shows.

It's a basic assumtion that we all LOVE and ADORE Mika, so I hope he won't take any of this feedback negatively... I'm sure the majority of comments will be positive anyway, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let him know if there's something in particular that doesn't really do it for you.

There are also plenty of other threads that have lots of room for general "he's so hot" type of comments, so that's not really my intention here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "I thought it was great when he and Mikey did...." or "I loved it when ___ happened and I wished he did more of that".

I'll start.

There are three things that come to mind...

1) I've said this in the Canadian thread... I am REALLY hoping he adds "I've Got Life" to his playlist. I'll find out next week!

2) I know I'm going to get some flak (sp?) for this because I know how many people love it, but I think the naked trash can drumming is kind of cheesy. (Sorry Mika... I do still love you!) It just comes across as too contrived and obvious to me... sort of pandering to a certain part of his audience.

3) I'm not to fond of the way he stretches out the beginning of Love Today in concert... I prefer it the way it was recorded.

That said... again... if you're reading this Mika, I absolutely love you! Your concerts are just so far above and beyond on the performance level. You've obviously put so much thought and heart into every single moment, and it is really appreciated.

Edit: Just one last thing. I recognize that this has only been his first year of touring, and he has done a phenomenal job - much better than many bands that have been performing for years. This is in no way meant to take away from that. Everything evolves... and we're all hoping to see him again at more concerts in the future, with a 2nd and 3rd CD and so on. So, this is in the hopes that he would want and/or appreciate the feedback, because he seems like the kind of person who truly wants to push himself and continually improve & grow. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else he has in store for us!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mika has said several times in interviews that he values the immediate feedback that the internet has provided him. He was able to get off the ground by promoting himself online, and able to see what was working or not working by the reactions he was getting (probably from many of you who have been there since the start!).

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that provides him with more of that constructive feedback in one spot... hoping that either he still comes here occasionally, or that people who are close to him do.

This is meant to be a thread for likes/dislikes of things you've seen in his concerts, or suggestions you have for upcoming shows.

It's a basic assumtion that we all LOVE and ADORE Mika, so I hope he won't take any of this feedback negatively... I'm sure the majority of comments will be positive anyway, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let him know if there's something in particular that doesn't really do it for you.

There are also plenty of other threads that have lots of room for general "he's so hot" type of comments, so that's not really my intention here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "I thought it was great when he and Mikey did...." or "I loved it when ___ happened and I wished he did more of that".

I'll start.

There are three things that come to mind...

1) I've said this in the Canadian thread... I am REALLY hoping he adds "I've Got Life" to his playlist. I'll find out next week!

2) I know I'm going to get some flak (sp?) for this because I know how many people love it, but I think the naked trash can drumming is kind of cheesy. (Sorry Mika... I do still love you!) It just comes across as too contrived and obvious to me... sort of pandering to a certain part of his audience.

3) I'm not to fond of the way he stretches out the beginning of Love Today in concert... I prefer it the way it was recorded.

That said... again... if you're reading this Mika, I absolutely love you! Your concerts are just so far above and beyond on the performance level. You've obviously put so much thought and heart into every single moment, and it is really appreciated.

This is a very good idea for a thread!

I agree with your 2nd and 3rd points. Actually, I really loved hearing him sing "I've Got Life" too.

Mine:

1. I wish he did more audience-banter at concerts (when he isn't deathly ill), and that it would be a bit less repetitive.

2. I love, love the big girl dancers... I think it's super clever how he picked them from the line during his American tour, and I hope he does something like that again, even if he can afford to bring the professional dancers now.

3. It would be great if, while we are waiting for the stage to be set up after the opening act, the lollipop girls and other costumed extras/dancers would come out of the wings and banter a bit/play-act on the sides to keep us from getting restless.

--Jack

Well I really hope he sings "Missionary Man" because everyone who went to the European gigs said it was amazing and it's one of my favorite songs so I'd like to see it. I love "I Got Life" as well and that would be cool if he sang that too, but it's up to him. I like covers, basically :naughty:

You might change your mind on this and any other ideas you have about his concerts when you experience it first hand. Love Today is the highlight of the show no matter what you think about the cheesy trash can drumming (that's pandering to the entire audience BTW, not just a portion :naughty:) or the variation from the recording.

His energy levels are insane during this number. The audience feeds off his energy and he feeds off theirs. The extended portion at the beginning is part of the buildup and personally I love it. The moment the a capella stops and the music kicks in my heart skips a beat because you can feel what's coming.

The only other moment in the show that compares is when he comes out of the shadows after the first verse of Relax and lunges towards the front of the stage.

You might change your mind on this and any other ideas you have about his concerts when you experience it first hand.

Very true Christine.... I should have mentioned... next week will be my first concert of his in person. So far I've only seen a bazillion videos, but have not seen him live.

It would be great if, while we are waiting for the stage to be set up after the opening act, the lollipop girls and other costumed extras/dancers would come out of the wings and banter a bit/play-act on the sides to keep us from getting restless.

There wasn't an opening act the first time I saw him and he'd hired people to walk around the club and hand out lollipops, etc. before he came on stage so I think he'd be amenable to that sort of thing. Similar to what was going on outside of Somerset House too.

This is a very good idea for a thread!

I agree! Great idea!

1. I wish he did more audience-banter at concerts (when he isn't deathly ill), and that it would be a bit less repetitive.

I agree with this -- it was very cool of him to try to speak the

languages in all the different countries on the fall part of

the tour, and I understand why that was rather scripted. But I hope

he loosens up and chats a bit more spontaneously this time around since he'll

be in English and French-speaking countries, languages he's comfortable

with.

I loved in the Glasgow show how he did try to extend several of the

songs -- a whole extended scat segment during Stuck in the Middle,

the long sing-along at the end of How Much Do You Love Me? I hope

he keeps doing that type of thing.

Otherwise, I'm just very anxious to see what sort of changes there are

to this coming show, as compared to the shows I saw last June and

November. I hope that he changes it up a bit at least -- he has to

know that even though he's playing some different cities, a lot of

people will already have seen him promoting the LiCM album already.

Less than two weeks now to find out for sure... :)

dcdeb

Okay, here we go...

I love all his covers, but i'd rather he play more extra songs of his during the concerts than music that isn't his own.

I love the shirtless trashcan drumming, PLEASE continue:D (hehe, sorry, if you don't:blush-anim-cl: )

I love interaction with the audience, but still i wouldn't want it to take up too much time when he could be singing! Right now, thats not a problem in the least though, its a good way to take a breather as well.

I love how energetic he is! when he's energetic it makes EVERYBODY energetic and happy and then the whole show goes from amazing to spectacular!

I'll think of more, but right now i know i should be studying for finals, i feel guilty about thinking about this when i should be thinking of the somatic cell cycle...

it was very cool of him to try to speak the

languages in all the different countries

Agreed! I think that was really cool of him too... shows how much he wants to connect with his fans.

From the videos I've seen of his last Toronto show he connected with the audience in other ways (obviously no need to speak another language here)... but he just really seems to always be "present" and wants to fully experience wherever he is. Love it.

You might change your mind on this and any other ideas you have about his concerts when you experience it first hand. Love Today is the highlight of the show no matter what you think about the cheesy trash can drumming (that's pandering to the entire audience BTW, not just a portion :naughty:) or the variation from the recording.

His energy levels are insane during this number. The audience feeds off his energy and he feeds off theirs. The extended portion at the beginning is part of the buildup and personally I love it. The moment the a capella stops and the music kicks in my heart skips a beat because you can feel what's coming.

The only other moment in the show that compares is when he comes out of the shadows after the first verse of Relax and lunges towards the front of the stage.

I agree. I love it when he holds out the notes. When he did it at the beginning of Relax I don't really know how to describe it. It was just a great moment because you've been waiting for it for so long and then to actually have it starting to happen you just wonder if it's a really good dream or something. I told you, I can't explain it. :wink2: When he held out those notes at the beginning of LT... I pretty much died... in a good way. :naughty: It's already my favorite song but when it started and he held out those notes I KNEW what came next and couldn't wait for it. It's kind of like Christmas morning when you're a little kid. :wink2: It was such an adrenaline rush and yeah I guess my heart must have skipped about 20 thousand beats. During the whole gig I pretty much forgot that I was standing beside my friend and just being surrounded by people. I got lost in a the music and loved it.

Hmm, I think that must sound entirely cheesy.

Oh well. :mf_rosetinted:

Very true Christine.... I should have mentioned... next week will be my first concert of his in person. So far I've only seen a bazillion videos, but have not seen him live.

You can watch a bazillion videos but nothing can compare to being in the same room with him while he's singing. You're lucky you're getting the chance at a small venue.

smart idea, zoots! :)

hmm... the list is so long of what i LIKED at the show i went to... can't think of much criticism!

i do like the idea of the lollipop girls/big girls/ etc. engaging with the crowd before the main act- that sounds very cute!

and i can say he does a great job of trying to engage the audience in foreign countries- in fact, i saw him in italy, and only understood a little of what he said inbetween songs, cause he was speaking italian the whole time! LOL!

love how he makes the time for fans afterwards to meet them, its very sweet

and lastly, i must disagree with the more virtuous ladies among us and request that mika please ignore the requests to keep his shirt on... i say if you wanna take it off, who are we stop you?? :roftl:

Ha, I've seen him live, and I'm still not that fond of the overly stretched note. Or the nakedness. The trashcan drumming I like, I'd just as rather he'd keep his clothes on.

Re: banter cutting into songs--most other artists have a good bit of banter in their sets, and that doesn't mean they sing less. Mika doesn't have much of a back catalogue right now, so he actually has time to talk. Plus it may let him catch his breath a bit after a particularly demanding number.

Not to mention it builds rapport with the audience. All the shows I've seen, there was a direct relation to how much (and how genuinely and spontaneously) the musicians talked to the audience and how into it the audience was. Mika's fans are already super loyal and super into him--imagine how much he could magnify that, plus the feeling of connection he could build.

--Jack

I agree. I love it when he holds out the notes. When he did it at the beginning of Relax I don't really know how to describe it. It was just a great moment because you've been waiting for it for so long and then to actually have it starting to happen you just wonder if it's a really good dream or something. I told you, I can't explain it. :wink2: When he held out those notes at the beginning of LT... I pretty much died... in a good way. :naughty: It's already my favorite song but when it started and he held out those notes I KNEW what came next and couldn't wait for it. It's kind of like Christmas morning when you're a little kid. :wink2: It was such an adrenaline rush and yeah I guess my heart must have skipped about 20 thousand beats. During the whole gig I pretty much forgot that I was standing beside my friend and just being surrounded by people. I got lost in a the music and loved it.

Hmm, I think that must sound entirely cheesy.

Oh well. :mf_rosetinted:

Oh my gosh jen! you totally described my experience 110%. when the light came on him at the beginning of relax.. and then those first few notes... i swear my heart stopped beating for a little bit.

yeah, it's like being lost in the music.... mika's stage presence is just like... wow. best way to explain it

You can watch a bazillion videos but nothing can compare to being in the same room with him while he's singing. You're lucky you're getting the chance at a small venue.

this is so true!

1) I was waiting for like an hour and a half before the gig by the stage... I felt so anxious and crazy lol... I really just wanted him to come out already... but it was kinda good because when he did, I wanted it that much more!

2) The time between songs is a bit rushed... TAlk to us mika lol

3) To be frank, he doesn't need a back up singer... not for ALL of his songs. This statement is not to be nasty, it's my opinion. wink2:

4) I thought the shows I went to were fantastic, and there's not much that needs improvment

5) Mika if you read this, SING "SWEET CHILD O' MINE" BY Guns n' Roses in Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would die :P

Otherwise, I'm just very anxious to see what sort of changes there are to this coming show, as compared to the shows I saw last June and November.

I am willing him to do a new song. Let us all pray together.:mf_popeanim:

From the videos I've seen of his last Toronto show he connected with the audience in other ways (obviously no need to speak another language here)...

Yeah he really did. It was too soon in his career to have many dedicated fans in a country halfway round the world. I think the audience was mostly curious onlookers like me. It took a lot of prompting and prodding from Mika to get people into it, but he won them over.

Ha, I've seen him live, and I'm still not that fond of the overly stretched note. Or the nakedness. The trashcan drumming I like, I'd just as rather he'd keep his clothes on.

Which note are we talking about? All of them? The one in Relax? The one at the end of the Love Today intro? I'm not so crazy about the latter, but if he's singing a capella it could be the alphabet for all I care.

My favourite part of the DVD is when he's doing the Love Today intro during soundcheck and he keeps it all quiet and restrained.

Not to mention it builds rapport with the audience. All the shows I've seen, there was a direct relation to how much (and how genuinely and spontaneously) the musicians talked to the audience and how into it the audience was. Mika's fans are already super loyal and super into him--imagine how much he could magnify that, plus the feeling of connection he could build.

That made a huge impact on me the first time I saw him because I wasn't a fan at the time. The Montreal diss that freaked out the Montrealers was of course a big hit with the Torontonians. :naughty:

He also thanked every person in the audience for buying their ticket and supporting him before all the hype hit. I thought that was sweet and really stuck with me afterwards because I felt like I'd been included at the dawn of his career and not jumping on some bandwagon afterwards. I discovered later he said the same thing at Koko so he probably told that to all his audiences at the time, but it was still thoughtful.

I am willing him to do a new song. Let us all pray together.:mf_popeanim:

You mean a new song from the

forthcoming album right? Not just a new cover?

I'm praying for that -- with my fingers crossed, too!

Actually, though, now that I

think of it, I'd settle for a new cover... I'm easy :wink2:

dcdeb

5) Mika if you read this, SING "SWEET CHILD O' MINE" BY Guns n' Roses in Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would die :P

This is sort of random, but I was watching the documentary on the Mika DVD (yet again) and when he was signing things one of the girls was wearing a Guns 'n' Roses t-shirt....I though of you :naughty:

wouldn't stuff like missionary man and how much do you love me be considered new songs?

does anybody know if they're gonna be on the 2nd album?

Missionary Man is a Eurythmics cover song. It won't be on the album. How Much Do You Love Me? definitely will because he mentioned it at one of the UK concerts.

When I mentioned new songs, I meant something we've never heard before. He played Holy Johnny for the first time in Toronto and I'm hoping he breaks out something new for us again. Well, it would happen in Montreal this time if it happens at all.

You mean a new song from the

forthcoming album right? Not just a new cover?

I'm praying for that -- with my fingers crossed, too!

Actually, though, now that I

think of it, I'd settle for a new cover... I'm easy :wink2:

dcdeb

Yeah I was saying earlier I'm good with either one. If there's anything at all new on the setlist I'm not going to watch any videos from Montreal because I want to see it for the first time at the Toronto gig.