• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never read thanx!:thumb_yello:

mika200.jpg

Desert Rhythm

He wants to be big and clever...

You’re taller than we imagined...

It’s because I’m skinny, I get away with it. If I was any bigger I’d look tall. Whereas I’m gangly, so I look small.

But you’ve got a really strong look.

Today I look like I’m in my pyjamas. And this scarf is Dior – it’s my grandad’s, from the 1950’s. They don’t do that thing anymore. Now it’s gone all pretentious.

The gold shoes are great as well.

Bergdorf – best shoe department in the world.

There have been obvious comparisons that you must be so bored of – Freddie Mercury, for example.

I just think it’s an amazing comparison to live up to, that’s why I never really talk about it. It’s a lot of pressure.

Is it just the case that people need a reference point upon which to judge you?

Yeah, and everyone is always trying to pitch me against the Scissor Sisters and I don’t see the point. I mean, I haven’t spoken to [scissor Sisters’] Jake Shears about it. I met him once, before everything got hyped-up, and I wonder if I met him again, maybe he’d feel that way too.

Have you had anyone knocking down your door trying to work with you?

I get a lot of offers. I think a lot of people can’t figure me out yet as a musician. They’re intrigued, so it’s been helpful.

So you’ve not had Elton John knocking on your door yet?

No. I’ve heard he’s listening to my stuff. But he hasn’t said anything.

Give it time – he’ll be wanting to jump on the Mika bandwagon.

The Mika circus! My album launch was in a big top circus tent erected in [London’s] Berkeley Square. We had the weird and wonderful from all over the world. Performers came on, then I sang in the middle of the night. The last thing that was held there was the James Bond premiere party. When I found out about that two days before I was like, ‘F***ing cool!’ It’s fun, though, because I’ve kind of created this little world that wants to help people create their own fantasy. It’s so different and irrelevant to all the things going on.

Are you hungry for big commercial success?

I’m playing the game. I started playing the game the day before I got my record deal. I decided that I was going to make a huge sounding pop record, even though I’m a solo artist. Therefore I needed X amount of money with quite a significant amount of zeros after it. In order to make that album I got into the game where I had to deliver commercially in order to justify making that record. There’s this idea now with the internet that you can just get out there and make your own record, but that’s not true because it all costs money. It all takes time and money, so I have to deliver in this way to prove that I was right.

What are your reference points?

Literally Disney soundtracks, right through to Michael Jackson, Prince and Beck records – big sounding records that aren’t tied to bands. There’s no one around at the moment making solo albums that sound big. I always thought, ‘Why would I want to make a singer/songwriter sounding record?’ I can’t believe more people don’t do it. The only other person who’s doing it is Beck. Rufus Wainright does it too. His take is kind of a Rufus operatic take on things, but he’s more singer/songwriter than I am. Mine’s more like pop record-making. I’ve been compared to ABBA, and it’s just as valid as far as I’m concerned.

You started really young, didn’t you?

Yes, really young. 12 or 15… I don’t remember, but really young.

Were you a precocious child?

No, I was just a bit weird. Music was a bit of a refuge, so I got really good at it really quickly. To me it was completely normal – I never liked to show off about it, it just became part of my life.

Did you enjoy school?

No, it was horrible. School’s overrated. Education isn’t, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that if you go to school you get educated. We all know that’s not true.

It must be nice now to almost give two fingers up to everyone at school that gave you a hard time.

It’s pretty great.

By TimeOut Dubai Staff, Wednesday October 24 2007

it's to better comment on it:naughty:

Bergdorf? Luxury lover! {like all of us I think}

ok, maybe if we start collect founds since now, for August we'll have a new pair of shoes for him:roftl:

haha, and then imagine we get him the wrong size :roftl:

• 4 months later...
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/dubai/features/review.php?id=1815

Desert Rhythm

He wants to be big and clever...

You’re taller than we imagined...

It’s because I’m skinny, I get away with it. If I was any bigger I’d look tall. Whereas I’m gangly, so I look small.

But you’ve got a really strong look.

Today I look like I’m in my pyjamas. And this scarf is Dior – it’s my grandad’s, from the 1950’s. They don’t do that thing anymore. Now it’s gone all pretentious.

The gold shoes are great as well.

Bergdorf – best shoe department in the world.

There have been obvious comparisons that you must be so bored of – Freddie Mercury, for example.

I just think it’s an amazing comparison to live up to, that’s why I never really talk about it. It’s a lot of pressure.

Is it just the case that people need a reference point upon which to judge you?

Yeah, and everyone is always trying to pitch me against the Scissor Sisters and I don’t see the point. I mean, I haven’t spoken to [scissor Sisters’] Jake Shears about it. I met him once, before everything got hyped-up, and I wonder if I met him again, maybe he’d feel that way too.

Have you had anyone knocking down your door trying to work with you?

I get a lot of offers. I think a lot of people can’t figure me out yet as a musician. They’re intrigued, so it’s been helpful.

So you’ve not had Elton John knocking on your door yet?

No. I’ve heard he’s listening to my stuff. But he hasn’t said anything.

Give it time – he’ll be wanting to jump on the Mika bandwagon.

The Mika circus! My album launch was in a big top circus tent erected in [London’s] Berkeley Square. We had the weird and wonderful from all over the world. Performers came on, then I sang in the middle of the night. The last thing that was held there was the James Bond premiere party. When I found out about that two days before I was like, ‘F***ing cool!’ It’s fun, though, because I’ve kind of created this little world that wants to help people create their own fantasy. It’s so different and irrelevant to all the things going on.

Are you hungry for big commercial success?

I’m playing the game. I started playing the game the day before I got my record deal. I decided that I was going to make a huge sounding pop record, even though I’m a solo artist. Therefore I needed X amount of money with quite a significant amount of zeros after it. In order to make that album I got into the game where I had to deliver commercially in order to justify making that record. There’s this idea now with the internet that you can just get out there and make your own record, but that’s not true because it all costs money. It all takes time and money, so I have to deliver in this way to prove that I was right.

Literally Disney soundtracks, right through to Michael Jackson, Prince and Beck records – big sounding records that aren’t tied to bands. There’s no one around at the moment making solo albums that sound big. I always thought, ‘Why would I want to make a singer/songwriter sounding record?’ I can’t believe more people don’t do it. The only other person who’s doing it is Beck. Rufus Wainright does it too. His take is kind of a Rufus operatic take on things, but he’s more singer/songwriter than I am. Mine’s more like pop record-making. I’ve been compared to ABBA, and it’s just as valid as far as I’m concerned.

You started really young, didn’t you?

Yes, really young. 12 or 15… I don’t remember, but really young.

Were you a precocious child?

No, I was just a bit weird. Music was a bit of a refuge, so I got really good at it really quickly. To me it was completely normal – I never liked to show off about it, it just became part of my life.

Did you enjoy school?

No, it was horrible. School’s overrated. Education isn’t, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that if you go to school you get educated. We all know that’s not true.

It must be nice now to almost give two fingers up to everyone at school that gave you a hard time.

It’s pretty great.

Thank you, Racha.....never read !:wink2:

Quote:

Rufus Wainright !yay, operatic more, and he is good!!

I love his "Across The Universe" version!!

I agree with mika on the school thing I didnt learn anything at school with all the bullying I got and with my mum dieing when I was seven I didnt go to school for 11 months got home schooled 3 times a week then left at 14 cos bullying got very bad but redid it all at college now I got good results on english and history and music but still rubbish at grammer and punction though but dont really understand it yet so getting more tutoring for that and maths but now I'm happy to learn as feel more confident and most of all safe people still make fun of me cos of my learning problems and abit young for my age but I dont listen to it I not changing I happy to be my own person and inspires me to do well and be confident and enjoy life