:jawdrop: one goal down plenty to go! :O

PhotoJenic

Guys! I just had to say this... because... wow. Normally I don't start threads like this I'll normally insert a message like this into a thread that I'm talking in at the time... but wow. :jawdrop:

Holy moley! :shocked:

I phoned home after my Expository Speaking class (thank goodness I'm taking it because I'll learn tricks and stuff for making speeches because I'll be talking in front of 300 people or so next year) well anyway my mom had opened up a letter that was addressed to me because she said it looked like junk mail because I get tons of it (I got three credit card applications from the same company on the same day,) so mind you if there's a letter that I'm expecting she won't open it. It's a good thing she checked it though because I entered a photography contest I believe back around November. I submitted four of my photos, two black and white and two in color and it was a letter from the magazine! She started reading it because it's too late to travel back home and I could tell she couldn't wait to tell me haha. Funny thing is when I applied for the photography institute I told her not to open up the letter and that I'd go home and open it up... just to make all of us wait and because I wanted to read it. :naughty:

Over 4,000 people entered the contest (you can send as many photos as you want too but you have to pay...) they only picked out 5% of the photos.... one of my photos made it into the top 5%! :jawdrop: They didn't state how many photos were entered but there could be 5,000 or there could be 10,000 who knows but 5% isn't a lot!

Now they're starting a new selection process where three professional photographers will go through that 5% and they'll choose the top four and then 100 honorable mentions. Those 104 photos will be published in I believe one of their upcoming issues or some place else I can't remember. Even if my photo doesn't win the top four or get an honorable mention it's still going to be published in their annual magazine because all the top 5% will get published.

Guys.... it was my goal to try to have one of my photos published before I transfer over to the photography institute. I had really hoped that maybe I could have gotten one published before I started applying to other schools that way I could say that I've been published once already. I didn't really know how I was going to go about doing it or even where to start so I just ended up putting it to the side and made it a goal to complete someday and I carried on focusing on my photography and graphic design and then getting into the institute that I found. Then this contest popped up and I figured why not give it a shot.... goal accomplished! I didn't expect it! Wow. :tears: I figured I'd get a letter or email saying better luck next year. :mf_rosetinted:

I don't know how I'm feeling right now... I feel shocked, drained from today haha, proud, happy, accomplished...... mmm hungry too. Sorry this is so long I didn't expect it to be and I don't mean to be all bragging about it. It just shocked me haha.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brag away PJ! Well done!

And sweeter because you had almost forgotten about it!

Aw thanks. :blush-anim-cl:

I knew I was supposed to find out around the 21st and when the 21st came and went I didn't expect to hear anything for a while but I didn't expect to find out today right after classes. :naughty:

That's so freakin' amazing!

It's a nice feeling when you beat out a lot of competition, isn't it? :naughty:

Remember the MFC when your work is on the cover of National Geographic, 'kay?

Yes!!! Over 4,000 people entered and if they all entered more than one photo like what I did... then wow. I really wish they could give us an estimate of about how many photos were entered!

And how could I just up and leave this place and forget about my friends? That's right, I couldn't. I'll probably still be posting on here who knows. :naughty::wink2:

Thank you so much everyone! :huglove: It keeps on hitting me that I'm going to have a picture published. I'll just be doing something then it pops back into my head that one of my pictures made it out of so many!

I can post the pictures. I just need to get them online. I'm a little nervous because I think only two people here have seen one of my black and white ones where both of my color ones are on my Myspace. One of my friends keeps on trying to get me to put all my photos on a flickr account so I can share them.

They'll be up in a little bit.

Okay, here are my four photos I entered...

The two color ones were shot with my older Kodak digital camera. Both are of a purple thistle that I found on a walk around campus over the summer. It was super pretty that I had to go back and get my camera. I learned to look not touch quite fast though. I was talking to my friend and said "hey, it's not prickly like I thought it would be!.... ouch... ouch.. wait never mind. Look but DON'T touch."

There's a fly on this first one which I didn't notice until I uploaded the photo onto my computer.

Flyonthistleresized.jpg

Purplethistleresized.jpg

These next two were taken for my Black and White Photography II class where we shoot with film and then do all of the developing ourselves. Sorry for the white around them, they weren't scanned in straight and I tried to get rid of it but gave up for the night.

This one is of a boat launch at a lake.

boatlaunch.jpg

My absolute favorite of the boat launch going into the water with the rocks around it.

rockywater.jpg

I'm not sure which one of the photos made it into the top 5%. If any I think it was my favorite black and white one. I won't be notified again until February 18th so I'll just post the results in this thread instead of creating a new one. :original: